“Unique food, beautiful setting” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 48 restaurants in Charles Town
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This unique, fine dining experience offers our guests award winning meals created with passion. Imagine indulging in a romantic dinner in our elegant and sophisticated dining room. Let the warmth of a fire and the flicker of candles set the ambiance to create a meal both exquisite to the palate and memorable to the heart. Our executive chef Christine Hale, uses only the freshest ingredients and will purchase locally to help support our community when products are in season. Chef Hale takes pride in creating daily pre-fixe menus utilizing the dietary needs, restrictions and dislikes of our guests. If you would like to be a part of this delightful experience please contact us at Hillbrook; reservations are required. Dining facilities are open to the public as well as Inn guests Thursday - Sunday for lunch and dinner. A complimentary continental breakfast will be in the room for guest staying with us Tuesday - Thursday.
Maryland
“Unique food, beautiful setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed several breakfasts and one three-course dinner at Hillbrook during our recent stay. The food was delicious, fresh and unique! Our dinner featured an apple and celery root soup, rockfish and truly unique berry dessert. Our breakfasts varied, but were always plentiful and scrumptious. The cinnamon baked apple with granola was a favorite.

The atmosphere in the inn's dining room was warm, romantic and sweet. Several other couples were dining around us, and everyone really seemed to be enjoying the ambiance! Our server was very professional and quick, and we were served promptly. Though the meal itself is a bit expensive, I felt it was worth it -- especially for special occasions. If you're simply at Hillbrook to dine, make sure to check out the beautiful grounds and estate. We would return without question.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed Hillbrook’s artistic and unique dining experience, as well as our beautiful dining room. We take pride in creating a memorable culinary experience for our guests, using the freshest of ingredients. We look forward to serving you again in the future!

89% Recommend
Glen Burnie, MD
“HILLBROOK INN, Charles Town, WV”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

While on my several day vacation- we all had a reservation at the HILLBROOK INN. I did not go with them that evening, but all that went the HANDIBOE'S I was with,.. raved about this "whole place" and my Granddaughter, Brittanny took my camera and shot some pictures for me, so I thought I add one here and also, their delight about not only the restaurant but the beautiful, romantic setting there.

My daughter-in-law, Laurie, said it was the best meal she even had and of course LOVED the "uniquely" beautiful atmosphere, explaining that the evening's dinner was a one of a kind experience.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thanks for your review about Hillbrook’s dining experience. I am delighted to hear that your family enjoyed their meal. I hope you will be able to join us for dinner sometime soon!

Arlington, Virginia
“Good and Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The Inn and room are really great as well as the grounds. However after we checked out we received our final bill via email and it included an undisclosed 20% tip for drinks at the bar after I had already left at 20% cash tip at the bar. Also, they charged another unannounced $ 6 tip for our breakfast. Needless to say, such charges should have been announced upfront and not after you have left the Inn.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed our property and your room. I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication regarding our gratuities policy. As we mentioned in our email to you on Monday, we immediately refunded the gratuities to your card per your request.

Our gratuity policy is in place as a convenience to our guests. It is not only reviewed with guests during check-in, but it is also outlined on our website under Reservation Policies and in the confirmation letter you received when you booked your reservation online.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We hope you will consider returning in the future!

Respectfully,
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Food was ok and the staff was very nice but way to overpriced. The rooms were not up to standard and left a lot to be desired. Dinner at Apple bees was way better.

Visited June 2013
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
I am sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. We take pride in creating an artistic and innovative culinary experience, which I understand may be different from what you are used to eating.

Our guest rooms are cared for with the utmost attention to detail, from our luxury linens and custom quilts to the iPads available in every suite. I wish we would have known you were not satisfied with your accommodations while you were here so we could have upgraded you to a different room.

Our staff makes an effort to meet the needs of every guest that stays at Hillbrook, so I am glad you were able to experience our superb hospitality. Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feedback.

Respectfully,
Martinsburg, West Virginia
“Fantabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

WOW is an understatement! Every morsel is better than the previous one! There are no menus, so be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. If you really need to know what is being served, you can call the day of your reservation to find out. We were delighted with one of the freshest and quite possibly the best salad we've ever had as our first course. Second course was scallops and thin slices of steak served to perfection. We thought we couldn't eat any more until we were served an unusual presentation of red velvet cake that just had to be tried. Five course meals are offered, but that is quite a bit of food. Reservations are required and it is highly recommended you be on time as the waitress had just a bit of an attitude. She was great once we were seated.

We didn't have a room reservation but were given a private tour of rooms that were not booked. Call the reservation desk for a specialist to help you determine the accommodations that will work best for you. Take a walk around the premises as the grounds are immaculately landscaped. Can't wait to go back and stay the night!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hillbrook, Owner at Hillbrook Inn, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
“WOW is an understatement!,” is a wonderful statement to read! Thank you for your kind words and description of the dining experience at Hillbrook Inn! We have a very talented culinary team to work beside and appreciate all they have brought to the inn! I will talk to the serving staff about arrivals of guests.
I am happy to hear that you were able to tour our Inn as well as the grounds. We look forward to future visits.