“Not great; not awful” 3 of 5 stars

Description: Phone: 304-728-0700
Houston, Texas
“Not great; not awful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

My partner had dined here for lunch on previous business trips, but never for dinner, and I had never been at all. It's apparently a favorite among locals. First impression: It's in a strip mall and on the marquee above all it says is "restaurant." The actual name "La Mezzaluna" is painted on the windows. So, it could be easy to miss. They've done a pretty good job of eradicating the strip-mall locale once you enter the vestibule and head down the longish walkway to the host stand. There are booths in half of the dining room and tables in the other half. One wall is a huge mural of what looks like Saint Peter's Square or maybe the Trevi Fountain; the lighting is just horrible.

Our waiter seemed to be knew to this gig, but he was nice as could be and very accommodating. I ordered the fettucine Alfredo with chicken and my partner ordered what he thought was going to be baked ziti Bolognese. We ordered a bottle of wine. The waiter came back after he'd opened the wine and verified that David wanted his dish prepared with chicken. Soon, here came a tray of delicious hot garlic rolls and a bowl of salad that we shared. The dressings were served on the side, which I love. Mine was the BEST bleu cheese salad dressing I've had in a long time, I said to the waiter, and I asked him if it were house made. He didn't know, so he ran away to ask. Upon return, he reported that it was Ken's Steakhouse brand--the very brand that I purchase myself and serve at home! "No wonder I like it," I said.

When my fettucine arrived, it was swimming in a very runny excuse for Alfredo sauce and the chicken looked as if it had been boiled. I waited for the waiter to ask if we wanted freshly ground black pepper and/or freshly grated parmegiano-reggiano, but then I saw the shakers for those and red-pepper flakes there on the table (Kraft and McCormick, I presume). I sprinkled some parmesan on the fettucine and stirred it around, letting it cool a bit, and the sauce thickened enough to begin looking like Alfredo. Then I looked over at David picking at his dish. I could tell he didn't like it. I tasted it, and it tasted fine to me, but was definitely not what he had ordered. It was a penne dish, layered rather like lasagne, with ricotta in the sauce and melted mozzarella on top. He didn't want to say anything because the waiter was trying so hard to do a good job. So, I returned to my own dish.

I wish I'd ordered it without the chicken, because the chicken was tough and rubbery, almost as if it had come from a can, or at the very least, way overcooked. It would have been so much better had the chicken been grilled or better yet, left in the barnyard.

As we left, David picked up the menu and pointed at the dish he thought he'd ordered. I looked a little farther down and saw the one that he'd received. They were vastly different. We surmised that the question about having it prepared with chicken somehow threw the waiter and/or the cook off course.

Anyway, I don't know if I'd ever return to this place, although it's a sweet, kinda quaint attempt at good Italian in a small town, and I do like to support locally owned places. Maybe I'll just have the rolls and the salad with that GREAT Ken's bleu cheese!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

84% Recommend
Baltimore, Maryland
“nice surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

we got into town rather late and were starving. After checking into our campsite we hopped on 340 and headed towards Charles town. We ended up in a small strip mall, noticed a lot of cars out side of this place. We took our chances and went inside. They were closing in about 15 minutes and were worried that they would tell us they couldn't seat us. But they didn't, our food and service were wonderful.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Harpers Ferry, WV
“Superb Italian!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2010

I’ve been going to the Mezzaluna since it opened and have never had a bad meal. The food is excellent from their lunch pizzas and calzones to their dinner menu. The atmosphere was just updated, the only thing I wish they would do is update the restrooms, I always judge a place by them and to be honest they have never been nice, or overly clean for that matter. As a whole its a FANTASTIC place to get a great Italian meal!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
beautiful Harpers Ferry WV
“good Italian place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2010

Good Italian food, lots of good choices, we eat here all the time.

Best prices are at lunch time with the lunch pastas, and you still get good-sized portions.

Service is usually pretty slow, even when you're the only ones there, but still, the food makes up for it.

This place and the place next to it (Mi Degollado) are the best restaurants/values in Charles Town.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sharpsburg, MD
“Surprise delight”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2010

Hidden in a strip mall between Food Lion and Gold's Gym, we found this satisfying, casual Italian restaurant for lunch. I dined with my two young daughters, and we all left full and happy. We were seated in one of their many small booths - perfect for keeping the 3-yr old contained. The waiter was casual, but attentive and helpful. He suggested that their linguine with clams is a favorite. I ordered that (white sauce) for my husband to carry out, and he absolutely loved it, even luke warm! He said it was rich and too much even for him to finish. I enjoyed my Rigotoni Boscaiola, a baked dish with mushrooms, sausage, red sauce, and lots of cheese. It too was way too much, so I took it home. Both of these entrees (priced at a mere $6.50 and $7.50) came with garlic knots (yummy with slivers of fresh garlic!) and a fresh green salad -- lots of olives, chunks of tomato and red onion, and a homemade red vinaigrette. I had only wished that we were offered some fresh parm for all instead of the stuff on the table. The girls both enjoyed huge portions from the kids' menu -- one order of ravioli (6 large cheesy squares) and one of spaghetti (with a huge homemade meatball). Again, we took home lots of leftovers. The atmosphere is not too formal, but I could imagine that it would make for a nice dinner out, wine and all, with my husband. You can find their website at http://lamezzalunacafe.com. This restaurant would be very convenient for those visiting Harpers Ferry or the race track. It's right across the street from the Walmart.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere