“Not even as a last resort, stay in your car!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   807 Willow Spring Drive, Charles Town, WV 25414 (Formerly Knights Inn - Charles Town)   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Charles Town
Enterprise, AL
“Not even as a last resort, stay in your car!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

If this and other reviews do not convince you to stay away then I don't know what to tell you. We made the mistake of using this as a last resort because it allowed pets and was located near the casino in town. This dump turned out to be close to $80 a night and I would not have paid more then $25 for the room. Every part of the room was disgusting and needs to be refurbished and for the amount of money that it costs to stay here, management should be able to afford an update. Luckily we were on our way to a backpacking trip and had our sleeping bags to use on top of the bed. My wife and I are not super picky and I have lived and worked all over the world staying in less then ideal locations from hole-in-the-walls, huts, abandoned buildings, war torn areas, hostels and half of them not having any modern conveniences in Europe and the Middle East and had a better experience. Do not stay here....

Room Tip: Do not waste your time....
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

49 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We selected this hotel because the hotel we normally stay at was fully booked. Went through Priceline as we have many times never selected a one star property before but just needed someplace to sleep a few hours and figured how bad could it be. Disgusting smell (not smoke) musty and nasty, checked the bed sheets cigarette burns, stained and couldn't tell if clean, blanket was worn with many holes, pulled the mattress pad back and disgusting urine stains. We did not even sit down, took keys to office window and left for 3 hour drive at 2:30 a.m. Told Priceline they should not even offer this place it is disgusting. Also, there is no shuttle to casino as ad lists. Wish I would have had a camera with us the condition of the bed was unbelievable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
KADLI, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Travelnutmex,

I appreciate the fact that you shared your experience with us. We are in the process of upgrading our bedding package. I am sorry that your room was not up to standard. I am addressing these issues with our staff. Our goal is for each of our guests to have a memorable experience with us.

Glen Allen, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I am sorry I did not check the tripadvisor before coming to this place but I was hoping for aleast a clean place to stay for a couple days at the Horse Track! Dirty bath tub/shower, slow to no running water the sink and the manager/clerk only gave "I donot know why, my manager said this is ok"

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear William T,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. I am not sure if there were any specific issues we could address regarding your stay? We would have gladly switched your room or informed housekeeping to address the issues if we had known. I am sorry we could not meet your expectations.

Americas Best Value Inn-
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

This is not a new place by any means. If you're looking for five star this is not it. The beds are a little lumpy but not too bad. There is coffee in the room, and you can get a refrigerator on request. There is a microwave for use in the office. Staff is friendly.

If you need a quaint, clean place to stay close to the action, this is it. Right across the road is the casino as well as Charlestown Race Track. Next door is the Mountain View Diner. Down home cooking with great breakfasts available 24 hours. Martins grocery is a short drive and well stocked 24/7.

Harpers Ferry is about a ten to fifteen minute drive and makes a delightful day trip.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear RG2B,

Thank you for posting a review with us. I appreciate your sincere feedback. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed our convenient location to the Racetrack and Casino. We hope that you stay with us again in the future!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

For $100 bucks a night this place was an all out poop hole..Completely disgusting! Smelled so bad like a porter potty I couldn't sleep. Towels looked dirty with what looked like crusty semen stains and sheets were stained. It made my skin crawl. Don't stay here.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Peaceloveandturtles,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize for the housekeeping issues you encountered. We provide clean and fresh linens in each of our guestrooms. Perhaps there could have been an issue with our laundry equipment that day. We would have gladly exchanged your towels upon request.

Alexandria, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We recently stayed 2 nights at the ABVI Charles Town while my husband went to Summit Point raceway. The Inn is VERY basic. From check in to departure it was an average experience at best. We had to wait ten minutes to check in as there were 2 guests ahead of us. The woman behind the desk was very curt with the other guests who were walk-ins. We had a booking so she was quite polite to us. This Inn is the old fashioned design seen off freeways all around the world - low set, drive up to your room style.

On getting to our room my worst fears were realised. On the surface it looked ok but on closer examination it was very run down. The A/C was rusted and VERY noisy to run so we had to turn it off to sleep. The toilet seat was broken. And the bed - oh dear! I am not 100% sure the sheets were fresh. They were greyish (meant to be white) and not crisp like freshly washed sheets should be. The blanket on the queen sized bed was twin sized at best, it did not even fit across the top of the bed let alone down the sides. It was also thread bare. There was no spare blanket in the room so we had to use the stained bed cover as an extra blanket as we were cold all night. I asked the cleaning staff for another blanket the next day but it never arrived!

A complimentary continental breakfast is provided but items were stale. I tried it the first day but did not bother the next day.

The location is pretty good. It is just off the highway and next door to a diner (ok) and a Ruby Tuesday (great food and staff).

And to top the experience off...I slipped on the worn carpet on the stairs taking luggage to the car and broke my foot!!! As I lay on the stairs, one of the cleaning staff walked by twice and laughed. I like to think it was a cultural difference and that she did not understand that I had badly injured myself but if I saw a guest of mine lying on stairs with luggage everywhere I think I would check that they were ok!!!

Room Tip: Hmmmm! Check the cleanliness before you go inside!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jenny N,

I am sorry for taking so long to respond. We are currently in the process of upgrading our bedding package. I hope that you are feeling better and your ankle is healing fine. I have addressed the issues with housekeeping that you had mentioned.

Americas Best Value Inn-Charles Town, WV
Alexandria, VA (Washington DC Metro)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place is just fine for one night. It is a typical 1970's, drive up to your room motel. It was $67 (inc tax) for a holiday weekend night. It is within walking distance to the Hollywood Casino. We took a cab because it was unusually cold and windy - the cab ride was $3.50. The diner next door was decent and the waitress we had was a blast. The front desk person, Lynn, at the Value Inn was very helpful.

The bed was rock hard - not to my liking but fine for a night. I wouldn't walk shoeless on the carpet but I feel that way to varying degrees about every hotel room.

The room was old but clean.

We spend about 70 nights per year in hotel rooms, mostly in Marriott's. in this case we wanted someplace right near the casino that accepted dogs.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear DebraAtShopLaM,

Thank you for sharing an honest opinion regarding your stay with us. Although we are an older motel, we do our best to provide a pleasurable experience. I am also glad that you enjoyed our convenient location to the Casino and that we allow dogs. We hope that you stay with us again in the future.

Americas Best Value Inn-Charles Town, WV

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town? Share your experiences!