“An average experience at best!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   807 Willow Spring Drive, Charles Town, WV 25414 (Formerly Knights Inn - Charles Town)   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Charles Town
Alexandria, Virginia
“An average experience at best!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We recently stayed 2 nights at the ABVI Charles Town while my husband went to Summit Point raceway. The Inn is VERY basic. From check in to departure it was an average experience at best. We had to wait ten minutes to check in as there were 2 guests ahead of us. The woman behind the desk was very curt with the other guests who were walk-ins. We had a booking so she was quite polite to us. This Inn is the old fashioned design seen off freeways all around the world - low set, drive up to your room style.

On getting to our room my worst fears were realised. On the surface it looked ok but on closer examination it was very run down. The A/C was rusted and VERY noisy to run so we had to turn it off to sleep. The toilet seat was broken. And the bed - oh dear! I am not 100% sure the sheets were fresh. They were greyish (meant to be white) and not crisp like freshly washed sheets should be. The blanket on the queen sized bed was twin sized at best, it did not even fit across the top of the bed let alone down the sides. It was also thread bare. There was no spare blanket in the room so we had to use the stained bed cover as an extra blanket as we were cold all night. I asked the cleaning staff for another blanket the next day but it never arrived!

A complimentary continental breakfast is provided but items were stale. I tried it the first day but did not bother the next day.

The location is pretty good. It is just off the highway and next door to a diner (ok) and a Ruby Tuesday (great food and staff).

And to top the experience off...I slipped on the worn carpet on the stairs taking luggage to the car and broke my foot!!! As I lay on the stairs, one of the cleaning staff walked by twice and laughed. I like to think it was a cultural difference and that she did not understand that I had badly injured myself but if I saw a guest of mine lying on stairs with luggage everywhere I think I would check that they were ok!!!

Room Tip: Hmmmm! Check the cleanliness before you go inside!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
KADLI, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Jenny N,

I am sorry for taking so long to respond. We are currently in the process of upgrading our bedding package. I hope that you are feeling better and your ankle is healing fine. I have addressed the issues with housekeeping that you had mentioned.

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Alexandria, VA (Washington DC Metro)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place is just fine for one night. It is a typical 1970's, drive up to your room motel. It was $67 (inc tax) for a holiday weekend night. It is within walking distance to the Hollywood Casino. We took a cab because it was unusually cold and windy - the cab ride was $3.50. The diner next door was decent and the waitress we had was a blast. The front desk person, Lynn, at the Value Inn was very helpful.

The bed was rock hard - not to my liking but fine for a night. I wouldn't walk shoeless on the carpet but I feel that way to varying degrees about every hotel room.

The room was old but clean.

We spend about 70 nights per year in hotel rooms, mostly in Marriott's. in this case we wanted someplace right near the casino that accepted dogs.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear DebraAtShopLaM,

Thank you for sharing an honest opinion regarding your stay with us. Although we are an older motel, we do our best to provide a pleasurable experience. I am also glad that you enjoyed our convenient location to the Casino and that we allow dogs. We hope that you stay with us again in the future.

Sparks, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

If you like crappy everything this place is for you! I am not sure that the linen was fresh, but the bfast was not. TV does not get baltimore baseball. A/C -furnace unit noise drowns out the hourly rental noise. Room key did work, which was actually an unlucky thing.

Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Rob L,

Sorry to hear about the issues you encountered while staying with us. We recently upgraded our television programming to Directv and now offer 5 HBO channels and additional sports channels such as ESPN.

Columbia, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

It's a good thing for them they have a good location, otherwise there'd be no reason whatsoever to stay there. This is the type of place that you would expect to charge hourly rates. I wouldn't have stayed there to begin with if all the other hotels in the area weren't already booked. Furthermore, when I got there I was told I would have to pay an extra $10 because there were three of us, even though I said there were 3 of us when i booked the room online they said the website only charges for 2 and I would have to pay extra. Not something I was notified of until I went to check in. I would've paid twice as much to stay anywhere else if I had any options. As it was I almost decided to sleep in my friends car.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Corey C,

Thank you for sharing a traveler opinion with us. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the extra adult fee. As you had mentioned, we have to charge for any extra adults staying in the room. This is due to the fact that we also incur additional costs for cleaning, utilities etc.

Americas Best Value Inn-Charles Town,WV
Stafford, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Staying at the America's Best Value Inn was the worst night of my life. this place is not fit for a dog to stay in. i book 2 rooms, first the rooms was nothing like what is posted on their web site. rooms are 10x smaller, beds are very close together, the furniture is mix and match with old old tv's, tube kind. maybe a 26in at the most. bed covers smelled, carpet very dirty and stains everywhere. took my shoes off with my white socks and damn within an hour, they were black at tar. i had to go to walmart to purchase cleaning items to disinfect. the tubs had black rings around tub, very nasty. toliet seat was so old that was coming apart. the furniture was very old, i even had to wipe down the headboard. stink bugs all in window seals, tub and sink. this was a last minute reservation and i wished i had just slept in my car. i couldn't get comfortable at all.

Room Tip: don't believe what you see online.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear Delphine D,

I appreciate the you took the time to share a review with us. I am truly sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience with us. We try our best to provide clean rooms and reasonable rates. We do have a program in place where each room is inspected. We also try to address any issues found. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations.

Hinckley
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Shabby, unattractive, low end place, with a rude manager.Checked out two rooms and signed into one. Upon a closer inspection, decided it was not up to our standards and asked for a refund, but manager would not give one. Stayed one night, but could not sleep and could not wait to get out.

Room Tip: Book some where else!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ron C,

Thank you for taking the time to share a review with us. I am sorry it has taken so long to respond. I understand you had some issues with your room during your stay with us. We do try accommodate each and every one of our guests. If the room did not meet your expectations, we would have tried our best to accommodate you. Please understand, we incur additional costs of not being able to sell the room and can only offer a refund with a certain amount of time.

Americas Best Value Inn-Charles Town
Hollidaysbur,PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was the worst smelling motel we've ever stayed in. I would not recommend it to anyone. As soon as I walked into the room I started to gag. I was so glad we had taken our own sheets and blankets. If we had not I know we would have slept in our vehicle or just stayed over at the casino. I wish I would've asked for a refund.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan175,

Thank you for sharing a traveler review with us. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with us. We are currently in the process of upgrading our bedding. I am sorry we could not meet your expectations.

Americas Best Value Inn-Charles Town, WV

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town? Share your experiences!