“Smells terrible” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town

Save Saved
You added Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town to your Saves list
Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town
1.5 of 5 Motel   |   807 Willow Spring Drive, Charles Town, WV 25414 (Formerly Knights Inn - Charles Town)   |
Ranked #5 of 5 hotels in Charles Town
Hollidaysbur,PA
“Smells terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This was the worst smelling motel we've ever stayed in. I would not recommend it to anyone. As soon as I walked into the room I started to gag. I was so glad we had taken our own sheets and blankets. If we had not I know we would have slept in our vehicle or just stayed over at the casino. I wish I would've asked for a refund.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
KADLI, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Susan175,

Thank you for sharing a traveler review with us. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with us. We are currently in the process of upgrading our bedding. I am sorry we could not meet your expectations.

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

My friends had told me they were very pleased with this hotel chain, so we decided to try it. The main reason for choosing this property was that they allowed dogs. I made the reservation online via Expedia. Upon arrival, we were told that we were being upgraded to a "King" room. However, there was no mention of the dogs on the reservation: when I mentioned that we were moved to a "Pets" room with two queen beds. The room was very shabby and the a/c spewed so much dust when turned on it caused a coughing fit. The reading lights by the bed didn't work at all, one was missing a bulb. After tracing the cord behind on of the beds we discovered that bare wires were showing under a poor taping job. The table by the front window was too big for the area and created a wind tunnel on the bed because the air was trapped under the table top. The box springs under the mattresses were filthy with stains and dirt. The water pressure in the shower and sink was a dribble. The a/c fan control was broken so it was either high or off, necessitating constant manipulation of the temp control to maintain some semblance of comfort.
The front door lock did not work; the chain was the only security on the door. Overall, I was VERY disappointed with the stay. They even made the attendant come to check the room out to make sure there was no pet damage before they would refund my $100 security deposit. If at all possible, I will kennel my dogs before another trip to Charles Town, or at the very least stay in one of the pet friendly hotels in Winchester. I did report my issues to America's Best Value Inns and they responded they were forwarding it to the hotel and I would get a reply via email. To date, over a month has passed and no replies received. Definitely do not recommend this property.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Fayden,

On behalf of the staff of Americas Best Value Inn, I would like to personally apologize for the poor experience you encountered with us. I am also sorry it has taken so long to respond. We do allow limited pets at our property. Due to the issues associated with pets such as allergies, we are only able to allow pets in certain rooms. We hope that you understand our stance regarding this. As for the other issues mentioned, we do our best to maintain standards. I will look into the matter and make any improvements where necessary.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

Our room was $99 and was not worth any of it! The walls were filthy with dirt, cob webs and spider webs in all of the corners and the room smelt like mildew. The bathroom had hair all over the floor and around the toilet and there was no way we were taking a shower. We were given two washcloths and no towels but it wouldn't of mattered if they had provided towels. The chairs and table in the bathroom were full of dust and the legs on chairs were not stable. The queen size bed mattress was yellow and the pillows cases had yellow stains and what looked like blood. We ended up going to Walmart to buy a comforter, pillow cases and bed sheets.

Just don't stay here.

• Stayed March 2012
KADLI, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Aski517,

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. I am concerned about the issues you had mentioned during your stay. Please know that all complaints will be further investigated and the appropriate action taken. We have recently added new flat screen TV's to several of our rooms. We are also currently painting the exterior of the hotel. We hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you.

Taneytown, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

Visited your motel ...there were bugs in room 134 ---termites, owner flatly refuses to reconize he has a problem...but beware they will crawl on the wall and in the shower when the light is on. I emailed the West Virginia Health Department. Yuck...spend the $20 extra and rent a room at the Inn.

Room Tip: go to the Inn across the street....I found termites ...who knows what else is lurking.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sheila S,

Thank you for sharing a review with us. I apologize for any negative experience you encountered. The claim you had made regarding termites has been fully investigated by our local Health Department and no issues were found. I am sorry we could not meet your expectations.

Dale City, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Once again, we found the beds very comfortable and the shower had hot water and good pressure. It's still conveniently located for anyone visiting the casino and race track.

We ate breakfast at the Mountain View Diner, which is across the parking lot. The food there is great!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear VirginiaTraveler55,

Thank you for posting a traveler review with us. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our comfortable beds and convenient location to restaurants and the casino. We value you as our guest and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Woodbridge, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

If I could give a raiting of two and half, I would. The room was not poor but definitely less than average.

I was a little nervous to stay in this hotel after reading all of the horrible reviews. I figured we wouldn't be spending a lot of time in the room anyway so it wouldn't hurt to try it out.

The front desk people were nice enough. We made our reservation online and when we checked in I had to show my ID and fill out a card with my information. We were given two keys to the room, which was only 2 doors down from the office.

The rooms, as previously stated in other reviews, are run down. They could absolutely benefit from a coat of paint and a thorough carpet cleaning.

I would also suggest that they consider checking behind the maid once in a while. The room was...clean-ish. I checked for bed bugs, as I always do, and didn't find anything. The sheets looked clean, as did the blankets.

The small love seat/bench in the room looked pretty gross. It was covered with dust and what looked like dog hair. We didn't sit or put anything on it. As a smoker, I am not overly sensitive to cigarette smells. We were staying in a non smoking room because that was what was available. However, the bathroom REEKED of stale smoke. Lastly, and the one thing that really did gross me out, was the carpet. None of the corners had been vaccumed, in what looked like, ever. Maybe this is a small thing, but it would give the appearance of a much cleaner room even if the building is old and run down.

On the plus side, the free shuttle to the casino was awesome. We only had to wait a few minutes each time and they have plenty of shuttles so it was never overly crowded. There is a nice little mom and pop diner right next door from the hotel.

One final thing...if you are sensitive to noise, I would suggest staying on the second floor. It didn't bother me at all, but you can hear the water running from the rooms upstairs and people walking up and down the stairs.

All in all, I would say you definitely get what you pay for. I went in expecting the worse so in that regard, it was better than what I thought it would be. It is NOT the ritz but I don't think it's a roach motel, either.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear R S,

I appreciate the fact that you took the time to share your opinion with us. Although we have an older property, we work hard to maintain our facilities. Recently, we have added flat panel TV's, painted the exterior, and now have Directv satellite to provide more channels for our guests. We hope that these improvements will enhance the overall experience.

Greencastle, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2012

I stayed there and upon checking in had a 100 dollar bill, of course the rooms cost 80 dollars but was told I could use my 100 dollar bill because she didn't have change. After checking in and using my card went over to the racetrack nearby. Two hours later I returned and was tired and went to get and bed. I pulled the sheets down and noticed hair and stains on my bed. I immediately called the front desk. The front desk told me to brush off the bed. My reply was I am not staying in this room. Both beds in our room were very dirty. We were not even offered clean liens the toilet was also dirty! I told the lady at the front desk to come look at our room. She said she would be up. She came up and looked at the bed and apologized and said I'm sorry we have no vacancy and I can't refund your money because the manager won't be in until 9am. I said well I am not staying here I am not sleeping in a dirty bed and in a dirty room! She said well stay here until the manage gets here in the morning. I said no are u kidding me! I am checking out, mind you we only had the room for 2hrs and wasn't even there and she knew it. I gave her my phone number and told her to have the manager call me. The next day no call received so I called and they said he wasn't there. It was 12noon, so i asked when he would be in again she said tommorrow. The next day I called and spoke with a gentleman that said they looked at the bed and didn't see anything! Yeah right!! Either the women cleaned up or they ripped me off!! He said I wouldnt be getting a refund! I asked him the mangers name...funny he wouldn't give it to me! I asked to have him call me... He said I already told him and your not getting your refund because you have a half an hour from the time you check in to get a refund! I didn't stay at the place! Didn't get my money back yet or a anything! DO NOT STAY HERE, SAVE YOUR TIME AND MONEY STAY SOMWHERE THAT COST A COUPLE DOLLARS MORE! THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THIER CUSTOMER, THEY JUST SEE $$$$$$$ if the owner is reading this, this was supposed to be my valentines day gift! Thanks alot!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Heather C,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. We do try to accommodate each of our guests. We did offer to change rooms, but unfortunately we were not able to meet your expectations.

Americas Best Value Inn-Charles Town,WV

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - Charles Town? Share your experiences!