“"Clean but not much"” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Bear Creek Lodge

Bear Creek Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cass
Bear Creek Lodge
You added Bear Creek Lodge to your Saves list
Route 66, Cass, WV 24927   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Specialty Lodging in Cass
“"Clean but not much"”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

The town of Cass, West Virginia is not much different from 100 years ago. There is not much there to do. Bear Creek Lodge is just an 8-room motel. There was no phones in the room and the phone was at the end of the hall and the light above the phone had burn out. Plus I don't even think it worked, so we had to go to the front desk and use their phone. The staff was friendly. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. One exception, one towel had a brown stain on it. Do not bring your cell phones because you will not have any service because of an observatory just up the road. It needs to have a quiet zone, so 13,000 square miles of dead spots. You really do not have any cell phone service until you get back to the Interstate, which is 75 miles away. We went on the night train and is was a very exciting adventure. The only thing was is was dark and when you went up to Whittaker Station, you could not see anything. I would encourage to do it in the daytime. The food at the Last Run Restaurant was very good. The shops were not open that evening and I was very disappointed.

Room Tip: Room number 8 was a great room!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

There are not many hotels this bad. When we got there we was given a key to our room. We unlocked the door and went in. The bathroom was really bad. There was hair everywhere and the sink had toothpaste smeared on it. The toilet had dried urine on the bowl and dried feces underneath the seat. Discusting!! The a/c vents were filthy around the ceiling where they were. There was a white trashcan that was so dirty I was afraid to touch it. The sheets was rumpled under the soiled comforter like they hadn't been changed. I am not making this stuff up. This is real. The room was full of gnats and the hallway carpet was filthy. The smoke detector had no battery (the battery cover was missing) and the smoke detector in the hallway chirped continuous. Overall this place needs a complete renovation. Windows were dirty too. We won't be coming back to Bear Creek Lodge that is for sure. I think all they did to the room was change the sheets and pick up the trash. Oh and the towels and wash cloths were all stained and rough. We cleaned the bathroom ourselves and took all the bed linens off and just used the sheet for cover, we used hand sanitizer on everything we touched. We would have left as soon as we saw it but the next closest hotel was a long way away. and we was there for the scenic railroad tour at Cass. Please do not go to this hotel.... you will be very disappointed.

Room Tip: There are NO good rooms here. Trust me. I wish I had taken photos to post.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Elkton, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

The room was set up as an average motel room (The word "Lodge" is a bit of a misnomer) with the bed and furniture area as one room and to the side is a self-contained bathroom. It was clean, but no extras...no refrigerator, microwave, hair dryer, cleenex, shampoo sample...no telephone. . There was a container for ice, but no ice machine. There was ABSOLUTLEY no room service. We were there four nights and although there was a sign to hang on the door requesting room service, not once were we given fresh towels or washcloths...no "housekeeping" of any kiind.

The problem, as I see it, is that the employees who take care of the store (cooking and clerking) are the same ones responsible for getting items for those renting the upstairs rooms.(only upon specific request) It seems a matter of mismanagement. There is no one hired to tend to the "lodge" guests. Consequently, there is no service outside of the erratic store hours...which could be anywhere from about 8:30 a.m. (sometimes 9:00...sometimes, 9:20, etc.) until closing at about 6:00...or maybe a bit later...apparently as whim dictates.

The rooms are all upstairs, so if you have problems climbing steps, this is not the place to be. The stairs were in need of repair and management should be warned of this to prevent possilbe future litigation...Be VERY careful when traverising these steps.

I had made reservations a year in advance and called twice to verify. I was assured it was on the books. Not knowing what time we would arrive, I was told there would be someone there in the evening. We arrived around 6:20 P.M...it was locked. Fortunately two workers where still there and let us in. They had no record of our reservation. VERY fortunately, they had a room for us. So a word of warning...MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET A SIGNED CONFIRMATION and make sure you arrive before closing...keep in mind that there is no cell phone coverage in this area..

Now for the plus...if you are going to enjoy the delightful Cass Scenic Railroad and County Store, this is an excellent location. There are large windows and a balcony overlooking the scenic river and store. But, there is a bit of a problem getting TO the balcony since the balcony door opens inward and the drapes extend over the door and attach to the wall in such a way that they must be removed in order to open the door wide enough to get TO the balcony. Again...mismanagement.

Knowing what I know now, I would stay there again because of location of having easy access to tourist attractions in that area...Cass RR, Greenbank Observatory, Snowshoe, gorgeous scenery to be enjoyed...But, I would do so prepared for the 'warts' I would likely once again encounter.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms only. Be careful of defective steps. Beautiful bacony view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family of three stayed at the Bear Creek Lodge for one night. It was sort of expensive ($140)based on what other reviewers said about lodging costs. But this is "ski season" and we were on our way to Snowshoe to ski. This hotel is as close as you can get to Snowshoe resort without staying at Snowshoe Resort. At least I didn't see any other options for lodging between Cass and Snowshoe! Cass is 10 miles down the mountain from Snowshoe. There is no "lodge" to speak of - that I saw at any rate - but the rooms are large and share a common balcony that overlooks the creek and Cass Scenic RR. My husband thought the bed was more comfortable than the bed at Top of World Condos at Snowshoe Resort. Our room had 2 queen beds. The TV has cable channels. There is a microwave and coffee maker with coffee in the room. There is no WiFi, pool, or hot tub. I would stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone looking for inexpensive lodging near ski area.

Room Tip: there are about 8 rooms avail - from what it looked liked to me at any rate - we stayed in room #3 w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We have a great time every year. My husband and I have been the last three years deer hunting in Cass. Everyone at Bear Creek Lodge has always been very nice to us. They make you feel right at home. Even cook anything that you want. This year we are taking my 15 year old nephew to kill his second year ever. My husband and I book our plans in advance so we always have a great room. The people that say bad things about this place I feel sorry for you. Maybe you need to go and stay on top of the mountain. I have never went into my room and my bathroom dirty or my bed sheets or covers. I would like to take this time and thank everyone that works at bear creek lodge that makes my family feel at home and in a nice clean place. Who even needs a phone if you are there on vacation or a hunting trip. That's one of the reasons we go there. But we know the reason they don't have cell phone service. No problem for my family. Bear Creek Employees Thanks For Always Making Our Stay Wonderful!! The French Family

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I wrote a review right after my stay but TripAdvisor returned it to me asking me to edit it to meet "Guidelines." I used a review that called the Innkeeper "dishonest" to show my stay was not that. And as I read other reviews posted since my stay, they appear to violate the guideline ". . . to refrain from insulting language . . . (such as hurtful physical descriptions or unnecessary name-calling) . . ." AND ARE POSTED! My review made my points and did NONE OF THIS!!! So, I REFUSE TO EDIT MY REVIEW and resubmit it as I posted it. "A review titled "Dishonest Owner" does not say when the room was rented, but the rate schedule plainly says from Mar 1 to Dec 26, Friday and Saturday is $69.99. If the renter was charged $69, it had to be a Friday or Saturday! And the owner is not dishonest. The renter is mistaken! As for satellite buttons being worn out, it is likely the batteries are weak. I stayed here and was comfortable. So I'd say to this renter, especially because there are so few rooms, go somewhere else and leave the space vacant for someone who does not thumb his nose at wood!" And I say this to some whose review is posted who claim "false advertising, trash all around, grass 2 feet tall."

Room Tip: If your arrival is before 8 pm, quickly inspect your room and go downstairs if you need something...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Northern Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

After working in hotels for over 25 years I can safely say DO NOT STAY HERE! This is NO WHERE NEAR being a lodge! The name is false advertising. Upon pulling up we noticed that there was trash all around the building and the grass was close to 2 feet tall in the back. The side entrance of the building is the "local hot spot" to hang for the area youth. As you make your way inside the you will find that the check in counter is also the "Road Kill Grill" loacated on the first floor. No seriously folks - you check in at the same greasy dirty counter you place a food order! At this point you will find the staff strive to do thier part in giving truth to the term "mountain people"! When you make your way upstairs to you room you're hopefull till you get in the room. At first glance it doesn't look so bad until further investigation. The bath tub was covered in soap scum. Stray hairs on the toilet - gross! We also had the same problem another reviewer had with the bed linens. One bed was complete with used old sheets and more hairs but we were lucky that option 2 (the second bed) had been changed. You will be attacked by stink bugs all night as there were many of them in our room. Our door to the "community deck" on the back of the building had a rotted out frame so we got a little extra for our money....an "open air view" to the outside! Also our deck porch light was busted off the wall and hanging..so it didn't work. Speaking of wires...THERE IS NO CELL SERVICE IN THE AREA due to a local satelite. The county is a dead zone. Also you will find there are NO PHONES in the rooms and the community phone located in the hall way has been ripped from the wall..just the wires left! You'll also note there are phone wires haning from the wall in your room where there should be a phone jack! The best part was the 2 inch gap between bedroom wall and the ceiling from where the building has settled. All I can say is that this is a newer building in deplorable condition. This place was basically built and has had no upkeep in the past 10-15 yrs. All I can say is if your brave enough to stay here...bring your own cleaning supplies so you don't have to go the Dollar General and buy some like we did (BTW ...its the only store within an hours drive!) If you are looking for something with ambiance comparable to the movie "Delieverance" then look no further! You have found your place! PS Let me know if you give one of thier "Famous Rt 66 Cheesesteaks a try..

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Bear Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!