“Clean and Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bear Creek Lodge

Bear Creek Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cass
Bear Creek Lodge
Save Saved
You added Bear Creek Lodge to your Saves list
Route 66, Cass, WV 24927   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Specialty lodging in Cass
VA
“Clean and Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My family of three stayed at the Bear Creek Lodge for one night. It was sort of expensive ($140)based on what other reviewers said about lodging costs. But this is "ski season" and we were on our way to Snowshoe to ski. This hotel is as close as you can get to Snowshoe resort without staying at Snowshoe Resort. At least I didn't see any other options for lodging between Cass and Snowshoe! Cass is 10 miles down the mountain from Snowshoe. There is no "lodge" to speak of - that I saw at any rate - but the rooms are large and share a common balcony that overlooks the creek and Cass Scenic RR. My husband thought the bed was more comfortable than the bed at Top of World Condos at Snowshoe Resort. Our room had 2 queen beds. The TV has cable channels. There is a microwave and coffee maker with coffee in the room. There is no WiFi, pool, or hot tub. I would stay here again, and would recommend it to anyone looking for inexpensive lodging near ski area.

Room Tip: there are about 8 rooms avail - from what it looked liked to me at any rate - we stayed in room #3 w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We have a great time every year. My husband and I have been the last three years deer hunting in Cass. Everyone at Bear Creek Lodge has always been very nice to us. They make you feel right at home. Even cook anything that you want. This year we are taking my 15 year old nephew to kill his second year ever. My husband and I book our plans in advance so we always have a great room. The people that say bad things about this place I feel sorry for you. Maybe you need to go and stay on top of the mountain. I have never went into my room and my bathroom dirty or my bed sheets or covers. I would like to take this time and thank everyone that works at bear creek lodge that makes my family feel at home and in a nice clean place. Who even needs a phone if you are there on vacation or a hunting trip. That's one of the reasons we go there. But we know the reason they don't have cell phone service. No problem for my family. Bear Creek Employees Thanks For Always Making Our Stay Wonderful!! The French Family

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I wrote a review right after my stay but TripAdvisor returned it to me asking me to edit it to meet "Guidelines." I used a review that called the Innkeeper "dishonest" to show my stay was not that. And as I read other reviews posted since my stay, they appear to violate the guideline ". . . to refrain from insulting language . . . (such as hurtful physical descriptions or unnecessary name-calling) . . ." AND ARE POSTED! My review made my points and did NONE OF THIS!!! So, I REFUSE TO EDIT MY REVIEW and resubmit it as I posted it. "A review titled "Dishonest Owner" does not say when the room was rented, but the rate schedule plainly says from Mar 1 to Dec 26, Friday and Saturday is $69.99. If the renter was charged $69, it had to be a Friday or Saturday! And the owner is not dishonest. The renter is mistaken! As for satellite buttons being worn out, it is likely the batteries are weak. I stayed here and was comfortable. So I'd say to this renter, especially because there are so few rooms, go somewhere else and leave the space vacant for someone who does not thumb his nose at wood!" And I say this to some whose review is posted who claim "false advertising, trash all around, grass 2 feet tall."

Room Tip: If your arrival is before 8 pm, quickly inspect your room and go downstairs if you need something...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Northern Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

After working in hotels for over 25 years I can safely say DO NOT STAY HERE! This is NO WHERE NEAR being a lodge! The name is false advertising. Upon pulling up we noticed that there was trash all around the building and the grass was close to 2 feet tall in the back. The side entrance of the building is the "local hot spot" to hang for the area youth. As you make your way inside the you will find that the check in counter is also the "Road Kill Grill" loacated on the first floor. No seriously folks - you check in at the same greasy dirty counter you place a food order! At this point you will find the staff strive to do thier part in giving truth to the term "mountain people"! When you make your way upstairs to you room you're hopefull till you get in the room. At first glance it doesn't look so bad until further investigation. The bath tub was covered in soap scum. Stray hairs on the toilet - gross! We also had the same problem another reviewer had with the bed linens. One bed was complete with used old sheets and more hairs but we were lucky that option 2 (the second bed) had been changed. You will be attacked by stink bugs all night as there were many of them in our room. Our door to the "community deck" on the back of the building had a rotted out frame so we got a little extra for our money....an "open air view" to the outside! Also our deck porch light was busted off the wall and hanging..so it didn't work. Speaking of wires...THERE IS NO CELL SERVICE IN THE AREA due to a local satelite. The county is a dead zone. Also you will find there are NO PHONES in the rooms and the community phone located in the hall way has been ripped from the wall..just the wires left! You'll also note there are phone wires haning from the wall in your room where there should be a phone jack! The best part was the 2 inch gap between bedroom wall and the ceiling from where the building has settled. All I can say is that this is a newer building in deplorable condition. This place was basically built and has had no upkeep in the past 10-15 yrs. All I can say is if your brave enough to stay here...bring your own cleaning supplies so you don't have to go the Dollar General and buy some like we did (BTW ...its the only store within an hours drive!) If you are looking for something with ambiance comparable to the movie "Delieverance" then look no further! You have found your place! PS Let me know if you give one of thier "Famous Rt 66 Cheesesteaks a try..

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rittman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

If you're looking for the Ritz Carlton, this isn't it. This is a home-spun country motel. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The hospitality is exceptional. There are some minor maintenance issues, but nothing too terrible. We spent a week with these fine folks and loved every minute. This is a no cell area, but they do have Wi-Fi in the building. There is a coffee maker, but there is no fridge, microwave or telephone in the room. We didn't miss those amenities at all. We're planning on going back in the spring. Thanks for a great week!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Irwin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Dishonest Owner
Their web page says $49 a night and and when you check in they charge you $69 night. The owner is quite a scam artist. The women working there say they tell the owner to change the rates on his web page but he doesn't do it. Satellite remote buttons are worn out.
Also there's 2' tall weeds growing in front of the lodge. I won t stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lewisburg, West Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I stopped by here to spend a nice night in a country town before heading on home. The scenery in the area was great a old railroad station that took you back to the early 1900's.

However i picked a place called Bearcreek Lodge to stay the night which had small hotel rooms with two double beds and a bathroom. The satelite kept messing up and the only phone was located in the hallway which hardly worked. The linens was also very dirty like the had just remade the bed and left the room.

Now for the downstairs small restaurant and grocery stores.....which i wouldnt call it that cause it consisted of a few cans of soup and vienna sausages. The pizza we ordered was decent but could have had been alot better but thats my opinion.

The only positive was the young lady and gentleman that was very helpful to my needs and was glad to answer any questions i had. The explained alot about the railroad and surrounding area

Room Tip: Hopefully you will have a decent time as me ans enjoy
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to Bear Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!