“A convenient place to stop if on route 50, but once is enough” 3 of 5 stars

You added North Bend State Park Lodge to your Saves list
North Bend State Park Lodge
Cairo, WV   |
yorkshire
“A convenient place to stop if on route 50, but once is enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

This hotel is situated in the centre of a state park in pleasant surroundings. The accommodation is rustic, the rooms spacious, comfortable and reasonably priced. No alcohol is allowed in the lounge area or the restaurant but you can drink in your room, ( but don't tell anybody ) The reception was far from friendly and there's not much to do on a wet evening. There is a chess set available. The restaurant is not exiting for dinner but you are a captive audience. However don't be put off having breakfast which was good the ham and eggs in particular

Room Tip: Only a few rooms have a view, most look out onto forrest.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Parkersburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Family and I stayed the weekend. Room smell of mold with a scent of smoke. Restaurant itself over priced limited options. While there's nothing to do but stay in your room or walk up hills to get to a hiking trail. I rate this stay a four star dump

• Stayed November 2013

Travelers are raving about these Cairo hotels

Clermont, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Yes, it is not a five star resort and the restaurant is not a five star restaurant as other reviewers have stated but if you are looking for value and a place to enjoy nature, adequate/ moderately priced food and close proximity to the North Bend Rail Trail, this is the place for you. The two double bed room was large and clean. I found all of the staff, both lodge and restaurant, to be friendly and courteous. Very easy access to the North Bend Rail Trail. A nice thoughtful aspect of the park is The Extra Mile Trail. This is a paved path for handicapped and visually impaired guests to get back into the woods easily to enjoy the magnificent scenery in the park. I do agree with previous reviewers that some additional money spent on updating / improving the amenities at the park would be money well spent - perhaps they should charge an admission fee.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Fairfax
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This place is a dump. The grounds look terrible, mini-golf is moldy, swimming pool has over 36 steps up a cliff to get to, crayons and bandaids were on the floor between the desk in my room and the fridge when I arrived, and were there when I left. Towels are skimpy too. Room is big but that airconditioning was going to blow me away. Dish TV has nothing on it and The Lodge food is awful. The food there is frozen, not fresh. Please watch Robert Irvine and see that you can save money when you actually use REAL fresh food. Only bright spot was the guy who gave us the golfing equipment, he was nice. Please find some money and spruce this place up State of West Virginia.

Room Tip: good rooms? If I had seen one I would help you.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

This was at least my 10th time staying at a cabin in North Bend State Park while visiting family. First let me tell you that there are many positives. The cabins are beautiful on the outside; you feel like you are walking out of a postcard! The trash is picked up daily from outside the cabins and the grounds are kept very clean & the rates are reasonable.

Each year I go back I hope that the inside will be updated. I swear I have pictures from the early 90's and everything is the same right down to the box televisions. I understand that these are cabins and not five star resorts but there is no excuse for not having decent sheets or minimally a fitted sheet. The linens are so gross that I bring my own. The comforters have been there forever and are polyester and paper thin. There are only a few cabins and no reason these cannot be updated.

The other major issue I have is that the cabins are filthy. I know you are out in the woods and you track dirt in but surely the cabins can be cleaned after each family leaves. We could not go barefoot even the first day we were there. I went to the hall closet to get the vacuum out and I swear it was from the 70's & it didn't even work. I used the broom which was so old the bristles were uneven.

For the 3rd year in a row we have tried to book activities prior to coming to the park. It just simply cannot be accomplished. I have suggested that when you book online that there be options as to activities you can do so that the park can plan. For example offering certain activities on certain days. They were not interested in any type of change. We asked for referrals regarding horseback riding and they couldn't give any. We asked about kayaking and was told the place was only open on weekends, yet the park was full!

It is really sad to see a place that has so much potential to just be mediocre. Each year we reserve for next year. This is the first year we have not done so.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Keighley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you're looking for a lodge with lots of facilities, organised "things to do" and some night-life, then this is not the place for you,
If you appreciate a large room, a grand view from the window, a wonderful shower and opportunity to relax, then this could be right for you.
Add to that some bargain meals in the restaurant, and exceptionally friendly and helpful staff and you are on to a winner!
It sounds as if it's in the middle of nowhere, but we managed to visit various historical sites (try Weston), visited the State Capitol with it's wonderful museum (go on a Saturday, the parking is free) and even put our feet into Ohio.
As a bonus we saw groups of deer below our bedroom window, every evening - apart from the evening we were entertained by a tremendous thunderstorm!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
State College
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed there one week night in June as part of the $99 "Voyage" package deal. It doesn't get better than that! The price included an overnight stay at the lodge and tickets for the Blennerhassett Regional History Museum in Parkersburg, transportation to and from Blennerhassett Island, a tour of the Blennerhassett Mansion and a wagon ride across the island - all of that for 2 people!!!
The inside of the lodge is very cozy with lots of wood, a gift store, and a large sitting area with a fireplace, comfortable seating and games and books for bad weather entertainment.
We had asked for a room with one double and one queen bed and were quite happy with it. The second floor room was clean, and all the modern amenities were there. Right outside our window was a large number of mature trees trees, and we nearly felt as if we were living in a deluxe tree house.
We had read some bad reviews about the restaurant, but we didn't have any complaints about our well-cooked and priced breakfast. Again - the view through those large picture windows was stunning.
There is just one criticism I have - the lodge building looks very bland and has absolutely no curb appeal. A few hundred $$$ spent on planters, hanging baskets and a few Adirondacks chairs would do wonders for that place. Next to the restaurant is a concrete patio, but without outdoor furniture and sun umbrellas it doesn't do anybody any good!

Room Tip: Always ask for a room away from elevators and ice and vending machines.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to North Bend State Park Lodge? Share your experiences!