“Wonderful Berkeley Springs restaurant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ambrae House

Ambrae House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley Springs
Ambrae House
98 North Washington Street, Berkeley Springs, WV   |
Maryland
“Wonderful Berkeley Springs restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We love the Ambrae House for its hospitality, menu, atmosphere, and live entertainment.
During the warm months the covered outdoor bar & deck is a great place to dine, have a drink, and relax.
The owner and her staff greet you with genuine warmth and enthusiasm.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

46 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My friend and I stayed at this B&B and had a wonderful experience. Lisa and Gary were very friendly and helpful, and Gary cooks a fantastic breakfast! The place was beautiful - modern and comfortable. We would recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Hunt Valley, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Perfect location, exceptional room (Burgundy), and a great breakfast. The breakfast potatos were delicious. Lisa and Gary were friendly and gave us some good ideas for touring. Would stay again next visit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just returned with my boyfriend from my birthday weekend getaway in Berkeley Springs. Ambrae House gives you an immediately warm, inviting first impression. Its interior is rich and well designed. Lisa, the owner, is friendly, professional and does a fine job of showing you around the house and your room so you can acclimate quickly. I especially liked that the doors are equipped with number locks so that you can let yourself in and out with ease. There is parking in the back lot. Make sure you park closer to Ambrae and not the other building behind it, as it is a shared parking lot.

We stayed in the Burgundy Room on the second floor. Totally exceeded my expectations with its spaciousness, comfort (excellent quality mattress, bedding and pillows), sitting area (couch and two leather chairs), three windows for optimal sunlight, flat screen TV w/ DirectTV, and of course the bathroom. The bathroom is host to an awesome whirlpool tub that is large enough for two to enjoy. It also has a separate shower, plush towels and spa bathrobes. We ended up using the whirlpool tub both nights of our stay and the morning of our departure, and spent a *lot* of time lounging in the robes!

The only issue with the room is that its walls are porous. You can hear your neighbors in the hallway, the restaurant patrons downstairs (loud voices as well as dishes/chairs clattering), and the plumbing. Most of the restaurant-related noise ceased by 9 or 10pm on Saturday night. I suspect this is less of an issue if you're on the top floor in the Champagne Room. But it's an old house, so how much insulation can you realistically expect? Having heard from other TripAdvisor users that this was an issue at Ambrae House, I brought my own ear plugs. You shouldn't need to do the same, though, because Lisa actually keeps a jar of ear plugs in the common room for guests to use. Nice! The cute little common room also has Scrabble and a few other board games, coffee and tea, mini-fridge, champagne glasses, a card table, two cozy chairs and plenty of sunlight.

The breakfast in the morning (served around 9-10AM) is unmatched! Gary, the chef, started us with a bowl of fresh cut fruit and then gave us a choice of eggs, omelettes, bacon, toast, french toast, and some of the best home fries I've ever tasted. I don't know what kind of spices Gary puts on those home fries, but I'd kill to find out. On our departure day I asked him to make me an omelette with "surprise" ingredients and was not disappointed! The bacon is crisp, not greasy or limp, and the french toast boasted a wonderful assortment of autumnal spices and (what I believe were) chopped pecans. Coffee is smooth and you also get a choice of juice. Yum yum yum.

We ate dinner at Ambrae House on our first night and that, too, was no ordinary dining experience. Especially the appetizers! (I have a separate review listed under Ambrae House's TripAdvisor restaurant listing).

Ambrae House is centrally located, next door to a library and only a block or two from various restaurants, shops, spas, and the state park. I don't think we could have had this great an experience in Berkeley Springs if we'd stayed anywhere else.

Room Tip: Burgundy Room is spacious, has sunny windows on three out of four walls, a fantastic whirpool bathtu...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I treated my girlfriend to a romantic weekend getaway at Berkely Springs, West Virginia for her birthday. We stayed in the Champagne room, at Ambrae House. The owners, along with the rest of the staff were just fantastic! The room was very nice, and very clean, and nicely renovated, with modern amenities, while retaining a vintage charm. When we got to our room, there was a birthday card waiting for her, which was signed by the entire staff! They were so very friendly, and very accomodating, and boy did they work hard! They knew how to hustle, and hustle with a smile on their faces! Thank you, Lisa and Gary! ...and thanks to Claire, too! Oh, and our compliments to the chef! Great food as well. Breakfast was absolutely scrumptious! I honestly can't remember the last time I had home fries that good!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ellicott City, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ambrae House for a getaway weekend in July. We stayed in the Champagne room which was very comfortable and well decorated.
The porch bar on the restaurant part of the property had good guitarists playing and singing in the evenings which was very enjoyable to sit and watch.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Ambrae House was wonderful! It is hard to find a comfortable, elegant, and private bed and breakfast, however, Ambrae House satisfied all of these qualities. The owners are friendly and surprised my husband and I with a bottle of wine upon our arrival for our Anniversary weekend. We stayed in the Champagne Room which is a private getaway on the top floor of the establishment. We had wonderful prepared breakfasts in the morning as well as mouth-watering crab cakes in the evening at the in-house restaurant. Ambrae House is a great place to stay in Berkeley Springs!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Champagne Room on the top floor, great for ultimate privacy! However we got a peak...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ambrae House? Share your experiences!