“Granola and Tarot Cards” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: State Parks, Spas, Hot Springs/ Geysers
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The park's natural spring is used for mineral baths and other therapeutic treatments.
New Haven, Connecticut
7 attraction reviews
“Granola and Tarot Cards”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Visited Berkeley Springs, WV. Sounded so quaint on the website. Had a really hard time trying to find someplace to stay, especially with a 2-nite min. required and ended up staying 30 minutes away. We thought this place must be great for it to be booked up so much. Berekely Springs is the place of the first spa; mineral springs. Not what I expected, but it was OK for a day trip, maybe 2 if you indulge in mineral baths and spa treatments and can find some place to stay in town. The town is what I would call a granola and birkenstock kind of place. Very hippyish. While we were there, there was a Festival of Lights going on. Not what you would think. Pyschics and tarot cards convention of sorts which brought everyone out of the wood work, but it fit the town appropriately. Worth a visit, but not much to do there other than the springs and spa.

Lebanon, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“Hot bath and massage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We recently visited Berkeley Springs, and having done our homework in advance, decided on spa treatments at the state park. Hubby and I each enjoyed the hot mineral bath, massage, and shower package, with add-on sauna. We chose to make our reservation for a weekday when prices were lower, and hubby qualified for senior discount. Other reviewers will tell you that no, it is not deep tissue massage, but if you are looking for relaxing, it's OK. The attendant and massage therapist on the women's side were very attentive. Hubby reports that he didn't have a separate attendant on the male side. I would return if I am in Berkeley Springs again.

Tampa, Florida
5 attraction reviews
“A soak in the roman bath is great, but pass on the massage..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

First the good points: The roman baths are great and the mineral waters do help your skin and joints. The park is clean and provides free water if you have a container.

Now the bad: I have to agree with other reviews, DO NOT GET A MASSAGE HERE!! The guys working in the men's area do not appear to be licensed massage therapists and do a horrible massage for the amount of money they charge. It is neither relaxing nor theraputic. I have been 3 times and gotten a different person each time so I can say that it is not just one bad apple, the whole bunch is no good which is a shame as it is a great facility and could be great with better staff.

10 attraction reviews
“The park is great, but don't get a massage!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I love Berkeley Springs and have been going there once a year for more than a decade because it's a great break from DC. The downtown area is cute and has surprisingly great art stores and restaurants, and the State Park is well maintained. Last year I splurged for the "spa treatment" at the State Park and I regretted it. The facility is great, but the experience was underwhelming. I'm pretty sure the "masseuse" wasn't certified and hadn't actually given a massage to a paying client before. It was fast-paced, brightly lit, and a superficial rub. Again, I hate to say anything bad because I love the park, the facility and the town. But I felt like I'd wasted $125 for a bath and massage - and when I caught up with my partner and got his take, it was more like $250 down the drain. Skip the "spa" and just enjoy the town. Have a nice dinner at Tari's and call it a weekend.

Visited January 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
226 attraction reviews
“A WONDERFUL DAY SPENT IN BERKELEY, WV on 10.28.2013!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Our one-day visit to Berkeley Springs, West Virginia accomplished 3 things for us: Nature's Beauty, History Appreciation and Sharing of Stories.

This review is focused on the "Berkeley Springs State Park" and downtown areas. Note that my 2 other separate TA reviews related to Berkeley Springs are for the restaurant where we had lunch and the Cacapon State Park.

Berkeley Springs State Park - it is located at the heart of downtown Berkeley Springs, across the County Courthouse and several churches. It is famous for its mineral springs and bath houses. The Spa located inside the office of the State Park offers different types of massages and baths plus a small Gift Shop.

History - It was indicated that George Washington and Lord Fairfax enjoyed the curative mineral springs in their days. There is a small museum on the second floor of the bath houses. See related attached pictures.

Shops and restaurants - there are several antique shops, privately owned spas and restaurants along the main road or Route 522. We browsed at these shops and ate at one of their restaurants.

Though the Bath Houses and Pool of the Park were closed during our visit, we touched the running water of the springs to test their temperature. We also tasted its water at the faucet where the local man is filling up his bottles with FREE spring water. See related pictures.

My friend and I agreed that we would go back to Berkeley Springs another day to try its Spas, Bath Houses, and Bed & Breakfast. There are other tourist areas near by so we might extend our next visit to 2-3 days.

Visited October 2013