“Beautiful park, nice lodge” 4 of 5 stars

You added Cacapon Resort State Park to your Saves list
Cacapon Resort State Park
818 Cacapon Lodge Drive, Berkeley Springs, WV 25411   |
Manassas, Virginia
“Beautiful park, nice lodge”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We'd been to Cacapon about 15 years ago, staying in one of the rustic cabins. We decided to go back and hike in the park. We had a great time. The park is beautiful. We walked around the swimming and picnic area. It is well laid out, plenty of room for games and the family cookout. We did the wobble trap shooting and had a blast. The overlook where you can see the 4 states was really pretty.Many nice hiking trails ranging from easy to very difficult.
The lodge was built in (I believe) the 1930's so you have to expect the room would be small. They were, and very well maintained. I had no problems with my room. They are planning a big 76 room addition in the future. We had wonderful food at both dinner and breakfast (no buffet, ordered off the menu). The one problem I saw was the very slow internet connection in the common room. Rates are reasonable. We would stay there again.
We don't golf, but many people who stayed there were golfers. They have a full 18 hole course and a nice golf club house.

Room Tip: Get a room on the golf course side. You'll have a better view on mountains and greens versus mo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Lewisburg, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Room was dated and small. Food was average to below at breakfast buffet. The Park was truly very beautiful and the overlook view of 4 states specticular. There was a lecture from 3 River Avian on Birds of Prey which was spectacular as were the birds including a Bald Eagle. Excellent for the kids! (even those of us a bit older).

Room Tip: Avoid ones close to steps or lobby....door slams loudly
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We just returned from three nights at the Cacapon Resort State Park lodge. What a gorgeous, relaxing and inexpensive vacation this was! Located right over the Virginia state line in Berkeley Springs, WV, it is a very easy drive from the Washington, DC/Baltimore area. Deep in the woods, you will see tons of deer every day.

We stayed in the lodge, which is very old, but clean and comfortable. The staff is outstanding. Everyone from the front desk to the maids are very friendly and go out of their way to help you out. Yes, the rooms are small, but they are adequate. We were in Room 19 and had no trouble with hot water. It came on immediately and was plentiful. There are no hair dryers or refrigerators... just you, your beds, a table with two wooden chairs, a telephone, a nice flat panel TV, and your bathroom. However, if you are like us and don't spend a lot of time in your room, this shouldn't matter too much to you. We prefer to pay less for a room and use the money we save on other things.

We took advantage of many activities while visiting Cacapon. First, there's the wonderful swimming lake and white sand beach -- love it! Note it is NOT handicapped accessible (you have to come down an uneven, stone staircase to reach the beach). It is free for lodge or cabin guests, or costs a minimal fee if you just want to come swim for the day. There's a small snack bar, and paddle boats (only $3 per half hour!).

The nature center has some cool exhibits, and the rangers conduct nature programs all the time. These activities might be things like searching for evidence of animals from their droppings, tracks, etc., searching for critters in a creek, creating a plaster of paris mold of animal tracks, watching a medieval knight re-enactment (I think that was a special activity they don't normally do), etc. These programs are free. The only negative is that over by the nature center, there are millions of tiny nats that fly around the picnic areas. Wish there were some way to get away from them. They don't bite or sting, but they are highly annoying. Perhaps they go away during other seasons (we were there at the end of July).

My husband did some clay pidgeon shooting (extra fee), which he enjoyed. The instructor was very good and took a lot of time showing him what to do. We also took a horseback ride (extra fee), which was very nice. It is a simple trail ride made for beginners, and my almost 8-year old had no trouble. We drove 4 miles to see a gorgeous scenic overlook, which was lovely.

We also enjoyed the basement of the lodge, where they have ping-pong, shuffleboard, etc. There are also board games and puzzles for rainy days. We ate several meals at the lodge and found the food to be good and the prices reasonable. Their "Italian Buffet" Night had yummy meatballs, spaghetti with meat sauce, lasagna, salad, soup, garlic breadsticks, Italian-style green beans, and nice desserts, like Boston Creme Pie.

At twilight, we enjoyed rocking on the large rockers overlooking the golf course and panoramic vista with tons of deer. We even spotted the elusive white deer that some of the other guests told us about.

I'm sure the hiking is breathtaking, but we were unable to do that on this trip. We were not able to picnic, fish, or use the playground either, but I'm sure they are great.

We were told they are beginning construction on a new wing of the lodge this fall. It will have 80 rooms or so. They're also adding a swimming pool and other amenities. I think the whole renovation will take 2 years. They will probably go back and renovate the old rooms after they have built the new ones. I'm sure the upgraded rooms will cost more, so for now, I am content to pay a low nightly rate for the quaint rooms they currently have.

I was very pleased and will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Waldorf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I stay at a cottage on the Cacapon River every year. This year the river was a raging torrent due to heavy rain in the area. We were looking for another place to fish, and stumbled on the lake at the front of the Cacapon State Park. First of all, the park was clean and well cared for. The restrooms were spotless, despite being outside. The staff at the boathouse were courteous and helpful. The fishing was great! For a small lake, my wife and I caught several largemouth bass between 1 1/2 to 5 pounds over 2 days. We were using artificial baits, ( I'm not going to say which) and we had to work for them, but no one around us was doing much good with natural bait. I would recommend to anyone who has the patience to work the lake, the bass are plentiful, but finicky. Switch baits often and try different techniques.

Room Tip: We didn't stay here, only fished.
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
University Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is a wonderful place, the cabin that they upgraded us to was perfect. You can hike, eat out, eat in, chill, go out, you name it this is the place. Close enough to the DC area that it should be more crowded during the week but grateful it isn't. I can 't wait to return. If there is a bad review it must be from people who are not used to being outside in nature. My friend and I had a wonderful time and I personally wish there were more insects.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Family has been going to Cacapon for sixty years. We take a number of cabins for a week, and do very little productive (unless naps, reading, drinking, golfing, siting by the lake, talking, and eating are productive).

The cabins aren't luxury by any means, but they're air conditioned and the bathrooms have been updated (I remember the old concrete showers). There are no dishwashers, and in the newest cabins, the ADA height sink can make the dishwasher's back hurt.

The golf course is top notch, and I always seem to up my game. A not to walkers though, as the course sits at the feet of Cacapon Mountain, it's quite hilly.

I haven't stayed in a lodge room, but my brother and 8-month pregnant sister-in-law did. Their only complaint was that the slope of the ceiling made one side of the bed tight.

All in all, Cacapon is perfect for what we use it for, an opportunity to get away (although cell service now extends into the park) and enjoy some down time.

Baltimore, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed 3 mostly quiet days in the woods. The cabin was quite rustic,pretty clean but yes there were some bugs and mice etc. lets try to remember where you are....in the woods. There were deer everywhere, squirrels, chipmunks, frogs...the whole spectrum of wildlife. We hadn't counted on one of our neighboring cabins bringing microphones, amps, electric guitars and Karaoke equipment for a late night party. Most likely a family reunion. If you are planning a big party, you should invite the neighbors....right? The bungalows can sleep up to 6 .....but max should be two adults with small children. With only two of us we were bumping into each other.....and watch your head getting out of the bunk beds. I now have a soft spot.
The park is a treasure with golf, hiking trails, swimming area and friendly staff. Go and enjoy. If you have a problem with bugs...stay at the lodge.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Cacapon Resort State Park? Share your experiences!