“Just Like Home” 4 of 5 stars

818 Cacapon Lodge Drive, Berkeley Springs, WV 25411   |
Florence, SC
“Just Like Home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We pulled into the Lodge at the State Park after a day of traveling in the rain. The warm welcome by the staff, the friendly chatter and their wish to please us made our check in (without reservations) very smooth. We went into the great room and truly appreciated the fireplace that was in use! Our room (20) was on the second floor, overlooked the golf course, was perfect for these travel weary people. Unfortunately for us, our cell phone did not work at the Lodge but the in room phone charges for long distance were reasonable. While the accommodations are not cutting edge, they are exactly what you would expect from a well kept state park lodge. The flat screen TV and the in room wifi are nice to haves, although the wifi can use a bit of a boost. By the way, we had tons of HOT water!

We wandered down to dinner on site and had a decent choice of wines and meals. My crab cake was the best I'd had in ages, I thought I was on the Atlantic coastline!

Will be back as soon as possible and will definitely be back after the scheduled updates.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Fresh mountain air, good country food, well-marked hiking trails... the Cacapon Mountain lodge has lots to offer. Rocking chairs overlooking the golf course, a rec room with video games, foosball, air hockey and pool, a library, a fireplace reading room.... Something for everyone. The rooms in the lodge are a bit dated, but it's like stepping back in time and enjoying a simpler time. They have cabins as well but must book far in advance.

Room Tip: Choose from Mountain View or Golf Course view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed in the lodge. This is a state park venue - so don't expect the Ritz - but the staff was terrific. Very friendly and responsive, open to suggesting places to eat etc. Rooms were tight but clean. The hot water issue is for real - ask for a room nearest the hot water heater, and you'll be fine. The rooms at the end of the bldg are farther away and you can wait fifteen minutes or opt for a cold shower. The restaurant is a tough sell, even for a state run facility. There are places in town with excellent food. Golf was outstanding, hiking trails lovely, mountains lovely, fishing was great in the swimming lake down the road. Low key operation with well-maintained grounds. People couldn't have been nicer. Storm knocked out the internet in the whole valley, which allowed us to relax and enjoy the scenery. Kick back, slow down, and you'll have a nice time here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I traveled in mid week in April. There were very few cars in the parking lot and few people in the hotel. I was surprised that I was given a room with a view of a roof (with the mountains behind it). I had asked for mountain view and to be fair you could see the mountain.
Room 7 had a queen and single bed. It was very small with only a few feet around the beds. The queen was pushed under a roof over hang so that you could not get out on that side of the bed without crawling to the bottom of the bed.
The hotel is older but well maintained and very clean.
The web site said that horse back riding was available during the week by arrangement and for some reason they pointed out where the stables were when I checked in. When I asked about making arrangements they told riding was only available on weekends. There was no information about the hotel in the room or provided.
I was told the restaurant was open from 8-10 for breakfast and 5-8 for dinner. It was open on Thursday for lunch as well. I ordered crab cake dinner for $20. The crab cakes were good and well cooked - crispy on the outside and moist on inside. The Spanish rice was gooy. There were no onion or bell peppers in the rice. The corn and beans mix was covered with some kind of oil - I couldn't decide if it was butter or not.
It is a beautiful setting a lot of creeks, falls and lakes. There are a number of hiking trails, fishing, and golfing. There is a lovely back porch complete with rocking chairs running along the back of the lodge.

Room Tip: avoid rooms 7,5,3
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

we stayed here for Easter weekend as a stopping place to take our son back to WVU. Small, quiet but clean rooms. The resort is geared for outdoor activities- lots to do when it's not raining! the clay pigeon shooting range was open and the teenagers loved it. The ranger was fantastic with the kids and made it alot of fun. The restaurant was not open all the time and local restaurants in Berkely Springs were a bit far away.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We enjoyed our one night stay at the lodge. Though the rooms aren't fancy, I was expecting old, banged up furniture and was pleased to find decent amenities. There is a very nice flat screen tv and everything is spotlessly clean. Only down sides are the slightly ugly bed spreads and the long wait for hot water. The breakfast buffet was decent and it was great to be able to go for a hike immediately after breakfast. We wish the reception desk folks would have known a bit more about the trails, but at least there was a map. Overall nice stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I booked a stay at the Cacapon State Park Resort for October, 2011 after seeing a favorable review in a travel magazine. The review specifically stated that it was one of the best vacation spots in the U.S. for the price, and I would certainly be inclined to agree! Not everything about my trip was great, but the overall experience was well worth the long drive. In summery:

Pros: The location is spectacular. If you have ever encountered anyone expressing wariness about visiting the Appalachian Mountains, they have no idea what they are talking about and probably haven't seen it in person. Beautiful landscapes, untouched local ecosystems, abundant wildlife and true rustic living place this state park near the top of my list for a nature retreat. The only place I think is better may be Mesa Verde in Colorado, and it is a very close call between the two.

I stayed in a Classic Cabin (I forgot the number) for around four days, during my time here. The surrounding area is simply breathtaking to behold, and in spite of living "off the grid" during this time I found my stay to be very enjoyable. The immediate area around my cabin was well accommodated with a picnic table to take in the view, along with a well positioned trash disposal area at the end of the foot path to the road. (All of this is located in black bear country, so it is wise to keep your garbage sealed and well away from any living areas.)

The cabin itself was comfortable. The bed linens were well tended and very clean, and I could appreciate the 1930's construction of the cabin, itself. Not only was it very solid, but it looked like it could retain a lot of warmth during the Winter months. The front door was well constructed and very secure, so I would guess that it takes noticeable effort (meaning someone staying nearby would hear it) for anyone to break in. The bathroom was small but serviceable, and there was everything you needed to sustain yourself during your visit.

The resort lodge had a good restaurant, especially for the meal prices. All of the staff were friendly and helpful, the other guests were respectful of everyone and non-intrusive. While there wasn't a visible Security presence in the resort area, it probably isn't needed. Local law enforcement officials are likely familiar with the area and have easy access to it.

Cons: Disappointments were few and far between during this outing, except for two big caveats. And one of them is something I know cannot be helped by anyone at the resort. First, the website specifically listed a microwave oven as one of the cabin amenities. Mine didn't have one, but to be fair I never asked about it. All of the food I brought could be cooked on a stove. Second, the entire area, as well as my cabin, was overrun with small green stink bugs. This is an invasive species that's more of a nuisance than anything else, and hardly a huge issue if you're quick with a fly swatter.

Also, be aware that if you stay in a classic cabin, your cell phone reception may be blocked inside.

If I do come here again, and I may well do so, I'll probably opt for one of the lodge rooms or a modern cabin. Beyond the two small issues which came up during my vacation here, I'm very glad that I took the time to visit Cacapon State Park. And I would recommend it for anyone else, be it an anniversary, family reunion or simply a solo trip to the edge of the wilderness in West Virginia.

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Cacapon Resort State Park? Share your experiences!