“Highlawn is what a B&B should Be!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Highlawn Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley Springs
Prices are for rooms, adults
Highlawn Inn
Save Saved
You added Highlawn Inn to your Saves list
171 Market Street, Berkeley Springs, WV 25411   |
MD
“Highlawn is what a B&B should Be!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

My wife and I decided to return to Berkley Springs WV; A place that held fond, romantic memories of 30 years ago. Instead of the commercial hotels, although they were very nice, we went the B&B route for a change. The Inn itself is beautifully decorated with literally hundreds of tiny little details that set it apart from your run of the mill room and food guest homes. After checking their excellent website { http://www.highlawninn.com/guest-rooms-2.html } which is very informative and filled with pictures and descriptions of your various choice of rooms, my wife and I opted for the intimacy of the Carriage House, an ante-bellum loft room in a carriage house separate from the main houses; with tin roof and open rafters, on one hand and free wireless Internet access and an in room Jacuzzi on the other a real balance of today and yesterday. Your choices are many though depending on the size and privacy that you desire. After being very warmly greeted by Sandy, the owner. We were handed the key to the carriage house and left to explore our new home. I say home because that's what it really felt like! There were a huge variety of books of all tastes with Vonnegut, Sheldon, Patterson and many, many others. A nice large TV built into a hand made corner hutch that came with a DVD and VCR player and the perfect balance of taste in the contemporary and classic films. Balance is a great word to describe the ambiance of Highlawn just the right balance of everything. We were able to walk to the main street of Berkley Springs to a charming restaurant called Tari's that had excellent mood music and even better food. Again, Sandy had made us the reservations. A few blocks stroll around town and then back to our nest for great nights sleep in the brass railed Victorian bed.
The next day:
Since Berkley is known for its springs and massages we asked for a recommendation for a local spa where we could each get a relaxing massage. We were referred by Barbara (as warm and friendly as Sandy!) who made us reservations at Atasia Spa with their specialist Frankie. Frankie's magic hands and techniques, were everything his reputation described and more. Two wet noodles wiggled their way back to the room for a nap and later a trip to Mi Ranchito, an authentic Mexican restaurant a block off the main drag.
The next day:
Although starting to feel a little sad because today was checkout day we awoke to the breakfast of a lifetime (I forgot to mention it the previous day, this place just has so much to recommend it!). Sandy and her gang of wonderful helpers made perfect scrambled eggs, sourdough toast, fresh fruit with cream, delicious local fruit butters, sausages or bacon. One day asparagus, the next, tomatoes and lox; always complimented with in season Sandy's garden herbs. Did I mention the garden, a very private little heaven in itself, worthy of a morning stroll. One word if you like kitties, this is your spot. Although they are friendly to those that pet and play they are aloof enough to leave those that aren't cat lovers to their own. My wife and I are pet lover's so we found them the perfect little companions with them popping up here and there as we enjoyed our stay.

We checked out, paid our unbelievably reasonable bill, and with just a little sadness left Sandy, her kitties, Barbara and the other helpers in the rearview as we pulled onto 522 heading east to our MD home. I'd like to find something to complain about, so you don't think this is a paid review, but there just isn't. Highlawn is a true little slice of the heaven that is West Virginia.

Room Tip: Try them all, but we really loved the Carriage House.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

147 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Accommodated our late night arrival, delicious breakfast, friendly but not overbearing staff, clean cozy room. Close to downtown shops and baths. Have recommended to friends already. Fantastic value. Recommend Tira's for breakfast and sweet bakery items.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We booked this B&B as a second choice the main hotel now being closed. If you like old fashioned decoration, with heavy curtains, lots of knick-knacks, this is the place for you. We had the Garden room in Aunt Pearl's cottage. We had our own entrance and were able to make coffee, tea or herbal tea next to our room. A good shower, a comfortable bed and our own little outside area with a swinging seat. Breakfast was generous and kept you going for a long time.

Room Tip: The Garden Room is very good if you want privacy when sitting outdoors.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Herndon, Virginia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I scheduled a spa retreat for myself for two nights on May 17th and 18th (Friday and Saturday). I chose the Victorian Suite at the Highlawn (in the main house). It has its own private entrance and sitting porch overlooking a nice peaceful garden. The room was beautifully decorated and so "me"! The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom and its claw-footed tub was perfect for a nice relaxing bubble bath (there is also a shower head if you don't have time to soak!). The breakfast each morning was out of this world

This was my first time to Berkeley Springs and I used my Mother's Day gift at the Atasia Spa. Next time I will visit the baths at the State Park.

I have discovered my retreat place and plan to return again! I just can't say enough about how much I loved my stay. Barbara and Sandy were so very nice and helpful - I felt right at home! I can hardly wait to return for another peaceful retreat!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We spend last weekend at Berkley Springs, staying at the Highlawn Inn. We had the Lover's Loft. Barbara was very friendly getting us settled in and warning us of some on-coming rainy weather. She also strongly advised reservations for dinner and took care of making them for us. Saturday was our first breakfast and it was very unique. I would almost like to suggest chafing dishes just to keep things a little warmer, but the food was very good. I loved the fresh herbs and homemade jams. The coffee blend is very good.

We had dinner at the Inn that night, the Uniquely West Virginia dinner. The food was very good, but it would have been nice to have a table tent or mini-menu so we knew exactly what we were eating. Sandy did send us an email when the menu was set, but that was a few weeks before the trip. The servers did answer our questions, but I felt odd asking what I was eating after the first course. I would have introduced the wine a little better, in fact, perhaps even suggesting a wine per course. The portions were perfect and it was indeed an awesome dinner.

After breakfast the next morning (and I was thrilled with blackberry juice - you don't see that everyplace), our checkout was quick and easy with a few ideas on how to spend the day and a nice discussion on herbs and the Quail Valley herb"ery". Yes, we would definitely stay here again, in fact, our daughter and I are thinking of a May weekday trip, to get the specials and visit Quail Valley.

And the cats - hopefully Chico keeps enjoying the sun and the littlest one - a spunky one for sure!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, Cal.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My teenage daughters and I stayed here for two nights on spring break. We had room 1 which has a king size bed and a day bed. Perfect for the three of us. The room was lovely with Victorian charm used to accommodate your every need. The ensuite bathroom was small but had lots of storage space and the shower had nice pressure. Breakfast was wonderful. Homemade apple cake with fresh fruit and nutmeg sprinkled yogurt to start followed by scrambled eggs, bacon and a warm croissant. Perfect for the apple butter. After our first breakfast they noticed my older daughter did not eat her eggs. She does not like them. They offered her something else for the second day. This was a very nice accommodation especially since they prepare food for 12 rooms. They have several cats. "Little Girl" ran right up to me at breakfast and jumped in my lap. another kitty greeted us one night after dinner for a cuddle before bed. The Inn is with in easy walking distance of the downtown. Would definitely stay here again if we are in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I have been going to Highlawn off and on for years, since we were first married -- it's a great getaway spot only a short drive from Washington, DC. We've stayed in a number of different rooms within the main house, and have also taken a nearby cottage with friends which they manage. The owners, Sandy and Tim, have always been gracious hosts, and put on a delicious weekend brunch. Take the Roman baths and massages at The Berkeley Springs State Park spa house, and enjoy the shops and restaurants in town,only a short walk down the hill!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Highlawn Inn? Share your experiences!