“A wonderful and peaceful retreat” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Highlawn Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley Springs
Highlawn Inn
You added Highlawn Inn to your Saves list
171 Market Street, Berkeley Springs, WV 25411   |
Herndon, Virginia, USA
“A wonderful and peaceful retreat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I scheduled a spa retreat for myself for two nights on May 17th and 18th (Friday and Saturday). I chose the Victorian Suite at the Highlawn (in the main house). It has its own private entrance and sitting porch overlooking a nice peaceful garden. The room was beautifully decorated and so "me"! The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom and its claw-footed tub was perfect for a nice relaxing bubble bath (there is also a shower head if you don't have time to soak!). The breakfast each morning was out of this world

This was my first time to Berkeley Springs and I used my Mother's Day gift at the Atasia Spa. Next time I will visit the baths at the State Park.

I have discovered my retreat place and plan to return again! I just can't say enough about how much I loved my stay. Barbara and Sandy were so very nice and helpful - I felt right at home! I can hardly wait to return for another peaceful retreat!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Manchester, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We spend last weekend at Berkley Springs, staying at the Highlawn Inn. We had the Lover's Loft. Barbara was very friendly getting us settled in and warning us of some on-coming rainy weather. She also strongly advised reservations for dinner and took care of making them for us. Saturday was our first breakfast and it was very unique. I would almost like to suggest chafing dishes just to keep things a little warmer, but the food was very good. I loved the fresh herbs and homemade jams. The coffee blend is very good.

We had dinner at the Inn that night, the Uniquely West Virginia dinner. The food was very good, but it would have been nice to have a table tent or mini-menu so we knew exactly what we were eating. Sandy did send us an email when the menu was set, but that was a few weeks before the trip. The servers did answer our questions, but I felt odd asking what I was eating after the first course. I would have introduced the wine a little better, in fact, perhaps even suggesting a wine per course. The portions were perfect and it was indeed an awesome dinner.

After breakfast the next morning (and I was thrilled with blackberry juice - you don't see that everyplace), our checkout was quick and easy with a few ideas on how to spend the day and a nice discussion on herbs and the Quail Valley herb"ery". Yes, we would definitely stay here again, in fact, our daughter and I are thinking of a May weekday trip, to get the specials and visit Quail Valley.

And the cats - hopefully Chico keeps enjoying the sun and the littlest one - a spunky one for sure!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, Cal.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

My teenage daughters and I stayed here for two nights on spring break. We had room 1 which has a king size bed and a day bed. Perfect for the three of us. The room was lovely with Victorian charm used to accommodate your every need. The ensuite bathroom was small but had lots of storage space and the shower had nice pressure. Breakfast was wonderful. Homemade apple cake with fresh fruit and nutmeg sprinkled yogurt to start followed by scrambled eggs, bacon and a warm croissant. Perfect for the apple butter. After our first breakfast they noticed my older daughter did not eat her eggs. She does not like them. They offered her something else for the second day. This was a very nice accommodation especially since they prepare food for 12 rooms. They have several cats. "Little Girl" ran right up to me at breakfast and jumped in my lap. another kitty greeted us one night after dinner for a cuddle before bed. The Inn is with in easy walking distance of the downtown. Would definitely stay here again if we are in the area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I have been going to Highlawn off and on for years, since we were first married -- it's a great getaway spot only a short drive from Washington, DC. We've stayed in a number of different rooms within the main house, and have also taken a nearby cottage with friends which they manage. The owners, Sandy and Tim, have always been gracious hosts, and put on a delicious weekend brunch. Take the Roman baths and massages at The Berkeley Springs State Park spa house, and enjoy the shops and restaurants in town,only a short walk down the hill!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I love to visit Highlawn and from my first visit in 1986 until my most recent, the constant care and devotion Sandy showers on her guests is the most memorable. She and all of the Highlawn Staff, generously and warmly look out for your comfort and total relaxation. A generous and glorious buffet greets your each morning, plenty of choices and the charm of a tearoom setting. The rooms are each uniquely decorated and appointed with fine linens, fragrant amenities and spotless care. Please, visit soon and enjoy a retreat in the historic town of Berkeley Springs. With nearby antiques, art and wineries as well as spas, you will have a marvelous time!

Room Tip: Decide if you wish to be in the main house or the charming nearby Aunt Pearl building or the carriag...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Sandy, her staff and the cats are the best. From the moment we arrived we felt welcome. We stayed in the Parlor room which was in an adjoining house. Very nice with a jacuzzi as well. Since the spring water runs throughout the town we had a spa in our room. The breakfast is outstanding. Even after doing this for 20+ years Sandy knows how to keep it fresh.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Joppa, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

This was our first visit to Highlawn Inn. We chose to spend our anniversary weekend there after reading several good reviews. We certainly made the right choice! We arrived in the snow and Sandy and her staff could not have done more to make us comfortable. They even cleaned the snow off of our car!! It was wonderful to sit and warm by the fire and enjoy the company of the resident cats. We stayed in the main house in Algernon Room and it was beautiful as well as comfortable. This gorgeous Victorian home is very clean, well kept and interesting. We really enjoyed the dinner with the winemaker as well as the scrumptious breakfasts that Sandy painstakingly prepares to perfection. We really felt right at home and feel like we made new friends while we were there.

Room Tip: Algernon Room is bright and sunny with lots of windows and a nice sitting area. There is also a sepa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Highlawn Inn? Share your experiences!