“Only good thing is the price” 2 of 5 stars

You added Berkeley Springs Motel to your Saves list
Berkeley Springs Motel
268 Wilkes Street, Berkeley Springs, WV 25411   |
Apex, NC
“Only good thing is the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

The room was relatively clean. The bed was comfortable. The office was closed and I had to ring the bell for checking in and out. It was slow. The office smelled of incense which isn't automatically a write off, but this was. There was a note in the fridge telling me what time I could get ice. Had to plug in the mini-fridge and wait for it to get cold. Fortunately I carry an extension cord because there was no place to plug in my computer or my phone charger. This was a house hunting trip and I checked out this motel because they allow pets and I might need a place to stay with my cat while I'm buying my house. I won't consider it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

You get what you pay for. Old rooms. Dirty linens. Bugs. And the owner and his daughter are RUDE. Tried to get our money back after 3 hours and they just wanted to argue. Skip it at all costs. This place is not worthy of the charm of Berkeley Springs. Shop keepers and other hospitality was excellent. Stick with the locally-owned businesses!

• Stayed April 2013
Wilson, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

it was the comforts of home away from home had fresh new linens on the bed, staff was great, room looked and smelled great. have to say the housekeepers do a great job. The other hotels were too high priced for a quick stay..We were impressed with the one story lay out and could get our luggage in and out of the room quickly and easily.The desk clerk was fast and friendly and informed me about that the WIFI is free at the motel. I am very pleased with the service we received, the facilities and the price. Price: One of the cheapest in the area and well worth the price. the great thing about the motel is that its pet friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012 via mobile

I come to Berkeley Springs every weekend to see my boyfriend. Usually we stay at the Best Western. Last week money was tight so we decided to try the Motel. It was a spur of the moment trip up. We got there after 11pm. The owners were nice as could be, and it was obvious we had woken them up. The room was small and could use some renovations, BUT it was clean, comfy and had what we needed. At the best western it costs more for a fridge and microwave. The motel had it in our room and the room was $30 less. We had the best nights sleep. The bed was comfy. It felt like home not being in a hotel. Like I said, it could use some renovations but for the price its accecptable.

• Stayed March 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

My husband and I were very excited to check out Berkeley springs, but it ended with horrible choice from the point we entered Berkeley springs Motel. None of rooms were clean when we got there, front desk girl was calling someone to clean the room. We had to wait till she figured out which room we can get. My husband came said, she upgraded our room to king from queen size. The room was tiny didn't look anything like picture, dark and freezing. I tried to get hot water from the sink and no hot water. We called her and she came with fan and said " It will warm up, this room wasn't used for months." As soon as we heard that comment, we wanted to leave and didn't want to touch anything in the room. We went out bought cheap blanket and cover up bed to sleep. Also, bathroom was tiny. I am 5'5'' about 125lb and I had to suck my stomach in to sit on toilet. When I sat on toilet literally my face could touch the sink. Also, towels were stained and DIRTY. Will never never go back. The only reason, we picked this place cuz we had to bring out dogs with us. By the way, people were not very friendly in this town. Berkeley springs motel is across from the municipal building. And they have small grass area not like Berkeley spring state bath house, there was no sign saying dogs are not allowed no sign what so ever. So we took our dogs for walk and cleaned after them. One mean white guy came out yelling at us don't let your dogs this area take them to behind the motel whatever, we have k9 here. What the heck! If that ground belongs to city then it is public area and if you don't want some other people dogs in, put the sign on!!! dont yell at tourist! I have no desire to spend any penny on this town from now on. This is town pretty much live on tourists money and treating trourist that way eventually the bussiness will go down. Seriously disappointed. BTW there are nothing to do in this town beside bath. pretty much dead town.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Hartly, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2010

I tried to balance budget with location, but descriptions are deceiving. While it was the cheapest rate in town at $61, the room was pretty clean, the mattress slept well, the TV worked well, the Wi-Fi worked well, the refrigerator kept things cold and the manager was friendly and helpful, but sleeping in a room filled with extension cords was not my idea of being safe. We did make sure that the smoke detector worked, still, this place was supposed to have been renovated. I hate to think what it looked like before renovations???
The visit spiraled downward even more when we found that half the stores were now empty or closed in Berkeley Spings, despite it being the high season, and the other half was only open Wednesdays through Saturdays, and we were there on a Monday and Tuesday! There were a few eclectic stores open, as well as a thrift shop (we could have visited that at home). Finally, there was a great antique mall down on Williams street. It was the only saving grace of our whole trip! So much for economic recovery!!!
In hindsight, and which we did do the second night, we drove all the way to Martinsburg, WV to stay the night at the Knights Inn. Just drive straight from Berkeley Springs to Martinsburg on Route 9, and Knights Inn is on the left, a little past Interstate 81. Knights Inn was absolutely spotless, wonderful TV, excellent connection for Wi-Fi, no swimming pool, and only $49 a night! The water was always hot and they have a water softener tucked away somewhere...I'd know that feeling of soft water anywhere! We had one for years at another house and I still miss it!!! The reason we drove to Martinsburg, first to visit a wonderful Antique Mall in Inwood, south of Martinsburg, but also for Fried Catfish night at Ryan's Restaurant, Tuesday and Friday nights! It's to die for!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
bluenocturne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

This motel was advertised on their website as "NEWLY RENOVATED!" In reality it was under renovation, which was never mentioned over the phone when we made our reservations. In addition to dodging falling roof shingles and rusty nails there was a mix up with our room. When we finally arrived in our "non smoking" room it reaked of smoke even with the window being open. There is no heat, no plugs in the bathroom, there was a weird mostly covered hole in the wall. Also out dated polyester linens, scuffed walls, and cracked doors. We had difficulty getting in to our room due to a faulty door handle, had to ask for the advertised coffee maker, and then had to turn around and purchase our own coffee because they were out of decaf. Luckily the sheets and towels were clean and we only had to stay one night. So not worth the 70 bucks a night!!! Would spend the extra 40 to stay at the inn.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Berkeley Springs Motel? Share your experiences!