“Not a Bad Stay/Place, but not Happy with what Happened” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Keswick, Canada
“Not a Bad Stay/Place, but not Happy with what Happened”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

The place was like any other Microtel I've ever stayed at (almost identical), which isn't a bad thing. I actually felt as if I had stayed there before. Upon check-in on a Monday night, the staff was very friendly. She went above and beyond her duties, by basically offering me any room I wanted for my family and I, offering directions to shopping and restaurants. It was fairly early in the evening (maybe 7:00 or 7:30) and she went on about having to lock the side (or rear) doors to prevent people from trespassing. I didn't think much about it at the time, but I probably should have been worried. The room was very nice, but I did notice some garbage on the carpet that was missed by the housekeeping staff, which suggests to me that the room wasn't thoroughly cleaned. Another thing was that the shower did not work. After being on the road all day, I really wanted a shower, but instead I just washed my hair under the bath tub spout. I also found that the walls were very thin. The people in the room next to us were not being very loud and simply having a normal conversation and we could hear every word. All in all, the room was nice and the beds and pillows very comfortable. My major disappointment was that I left a pair of jeans and a belt there hanging on a hook on the wall. I called the hotel a few days later to inquire about my jeans and they said a pair of jeans was not found in the room, but they took my name and phone number and said that the head of housekeeping would call me to follow-up. I never did receive a follow-up call. I know 100% that I left my jeans there and I'm disappointed that they claim to have not found them. It's not like something small that can easily go missing. I'm sure the staff member that found them has taken them for themselves or a friend/family member. If this didn't happen, I would have easily given this place a 3 out of 5 and maybe a 4. I wouldn't stay here again and it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about Microtel. It really was my own fault for leaving the jeans there, but I expect some honesty from their staff when finding items. What if it was something valuable?

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room away from other guests to ensure you have peace and quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Denver, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

It was clean and I slept well. That's really all I was looking for. I was in WV for a funeral and had never been in Beckley before. It was well located for my needs and was close to restaurants. I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Stuart, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself seems clean and well kept, but when we arrived we were met with no less than 4 police cruisers in the parking lot and a few more officers inside. The staff was tight lipped about something to do with back door entry to the building by non guests, which I suppose happens to the best of places, but there was a guy on the lobby computer cruising some very questionable personal video and picture websites and when he was asked to stop by the staff, he began arguing about getting an attorney, only to find out by watching the confrontation, which the staff had in the lobby of all places, he seemed to have some kind of personal relationship with the staff he was arguing with! Then as I attempted to pay cash for a room, my credit card was demanded for security reasons. Security? From me? While the police escorted some girls husband out of the building? Are you kidding? This hotel needs some serious security and staffing overhauls. If we had not been so tired from driving, we would have run from this place!!!! On a good note, room was decent, clean and for the money, very acceptable. Note to management- hire new staff..!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Crab Orchard
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

The rooms are nice the bed was comfy, but I noticed what appeared to be dog hairs on my bedspread. I stay here when the weather gets bad and I can't get home so it's convenient to my job. The staff is always nice but I did notice a little issue with the bedspread having hairs which seemed to be either dog or cat.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham

Gainesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

I chose this location due to Huddle House being nearby. Once we arrive, we learned that the diner had closed. I hadn't been to Beckley since moving to NC a few years ago. I was a bit disappointed in the price difference that I was quoted when I called the property and when I checked in...about a 10 dollar a day difference..I had only planned to stay 2 days but ended up getting snowed in and had to stay an extra day, that extra 30 dollars could have been better budgeted if I was given the rate that I was quoted, but " it is what it in the hotel business". The staff was incredible. Some were more helpful than others right from the start, some had to warm up. Overall, my kids and I enjoyed our stay. We slept well in the beds and the room was cleaner than I had expected based on the reviews. The room was peaceful and we did not hear any noise unless we were out in the hallways. The pool was heated, just wasn't too heated. Yes, that part of town is a bit sparse of businesses, but I did not at anytime feel unsafe in the building or even during a late evening walk to dollar general. If and when I come back to Beckley. This hotel will be my choice for lodging.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
rkveton, Operations at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Beckley East, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
I want to first thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and leaving the kind remarks. We strive to be the Best Place to Stay in Beckley! I want to apologize for the difference is rate as I am not sure what happened there. With the economy the way it is, every penny counts. I do hope you asked to speak to our General Manager and that issue was resolved. We love your final quote on being "your choice when traveling through Beckley". That is what we strive to be! We wish you Safe Travels and hope to see you again!
Elkview, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

Motel was clean. Staff was very helpful. Dollar General next door. Close to food , and shopping. Pool was clean. Breakfast was good had typical breakfast but was fresh and was put out immediately when run out. Had a good time. Suite, had TV< microwave, fridge, and pull out couch bed. (did not use it.)

Room Tip: Room was on second floor it was quiet there.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind remarks. We appreciate you choosing us while in the Beckley area, and hope to see you again! Safe travels!

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Beckley East? Share your experiences!