“Worst Hotel Stay Ever! Don't waste your money!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Price
Book early and Save 20%
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Sevierville, United States
“Worst Hotel Stay Ever! Don't waste your money!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

There were a cascade of issues with my stay, and none of them were resolved. The staff was completely unprofessional, rude, and did not follow through on anything. This is not the hotel that I stayed at in 1998, 2000, and 2001 when it was run as a fine establishment.

I checked in and began to connect to the internet. I could not connect. I brought my lap top downstairs to the front desk. The GM got involved after the front desk managers treated me like a child who didn't know how to connect to wifi. He said he had to reboot the system. Said he would call Pinnacle (maintenance vendor), and after nothing he did affected my ability to connect, he concluded it was just me and said there was something wrong with my computer because no one else had an issue. My lap top is fine. I've never had a problem of connecting to the internet anywhere. I actually took my laptop to the Beckley Travel Plaza a mile down the road and instantly connected. I have a screenshot of the connection from there if you would like one. I've connected at every hotel and coffee shop I've ever been in. Never had a problem except here at the Harper Road Country Inn. I was made to feel it was my computer and I was stupid. The GM said he would not charge me for the first night of my two night stay. He did charge me. I alerted the front desk upon check out of the erroneous charge, they said they would have Jerry correct it. It has not been corrected. I asked them to have Jerry call me back to discuss. He did not call me back.

The shower was horrible. It was a walk in with two shower heads. Cold water came out of the shower, not hot water. So I had to take a cold shower. The shower flooded the bathroom and I slipped and fell in the bathroom. Who designs a shower that way?

The in room whirlpool tub had no step stool or steps to enter the tub. You had to climb in over the side on your knees, and then getting out without a handrail or steps was also very difficult.

The bed was way too soft. It was impossible to sleep comfortably. The pillows did not support the head or neck at all, they were so soft without anything firm inside.. The deskspace to work was far too small, the room had inferior lighting.

Finally, there was no HBO on my TV when I checked in. I complained to the front desk. They said the channels had just been changed and HBO wasn't available anymore. HBO was listed as a channel offered in your hotel guest book of amenities. But after telling me HBO wasn't included or offered anymore by the front desk manager, strangely, HBO was working fine on the second day of my stay. The hotel staff were clueless.

The microwave oven and coffee maker outlet were also not functioning when I checked in. I plugged my cellphone in that outlet to charge it, that's how I knew. I didn't need the microwave or coffee maker. I told the front desk and this was fixed the next day.

Overall, the worst hotel stay I have ever had. I would have booked at a Hampton Inn, however, I had first stayed at this location back in 1998 and again in 2000 and again in 2001 when visiting the area for whitewater rafting. I enjoyed the pool and hot tub and wanted to relax in them again in between my whitewater rafting trips on the Gauley River. I will never stay at this hotel again, and based upon the rude way I was treated by the general manager and his staff, and the way that he did nothing to resolve my issues, and the way he tried to make it seem as if it were not his fault--he actually said "I'm just the hotel manager, I don't know anything about the internet connection." and his failure to follow up on his word of not charging me for my first night stay, I just want to warn everyone I can to stay away from this hotel and the Country Inn and Suites Brand. It is a very poorly run brand with amateurs running their locations.

Room Tip: Don't waste money on the in room whirlpool. You cannot climb into or out of them without risking...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are very sorry to hear the dissatisfaction of your recent stay. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inn & Suites standards. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. Thank you for your feedback and we hope for another chance in the future to exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Rolla, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were traveling through and found this place. Staff was very friendly. They had take away bags of water and snacks in the morning. A very good breakfast bar that wasn't just grain oriented. Our room had an old smoky smell but was a non smoking room. That was the only complaint

• Stayed September 2013
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Country Inn and Suites, Beckley WV. The staff and I are pleased with your kind words and just wanted to say thank you. However, I am sorry that your room had an unpleasant smell, if you can email what room you stayed in I will have our maintenance team take care of the issue. Again, thank you for staying, we look forward to your return visit if traveling through the area. My email address is jsmith@hlihotels.com or 304-252-5100

Safe travels!

Jerry Smith
Toledo, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel was clean, with a very helpful staff which provided an overall pleasant hotel experience. The one problem we had was a due to a shortage of staff for the breakfast buffet on Sunday. We were told by one of the people working in the dining room was that two regular staff called out and they had to reassign housekeeping to the kitchen duty. They did a good job considering. We will seek out this chain in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for the nice review. I have to give my staff credit in pitching in to make sure the breakfast area was well covered. The staff here is great, I owe to them all the success we have, they make me so proud! Thank you for recognizing them, I will pass on your comments at our next employee luncheon!

Safe travels,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stopped at this hotel twice within a ten day period. Both stays were great. The front desk staff were efficient, friendly and helpful both times. Our room was very clean and well maintained. The verandah and the pool area were neat and we spent a pleasant couple hours by the outdoor pool.
The location is ideal for us because we like to visit Tamarack whenever we drive by and the highway entrance and exit are very close. Breakfast choices are varied and plentiful, although the scrambled eggs are not made of real eggs. The waffles on the other hand are very good. In the future we will definitely make this hotel our stopping place on our way down south.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the kind review. It is our pleasure to serve you and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The staff and I work hard to provide a quality product to our customers, and we are so pleased that we succeeded. Safe travels, and we look forward to your next visit.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

First time staying at this property and would stay here again based on this experience. Room was a good size. Not crazy about the beds...metal headboard with spindles and open under the mattresses. I prefer a solid headboard and the base under the bed so items can fall/slide underneath. Room was clean and comfortable though and great for my one night stay. It did show some signs of wear and tear but not in bad shape...just some areas that could be touched up. Staff at check in and check out were friendly and helpful. Great location, especially close to Tamarack where I was attending a meeting. I didn't have time for breakfast but it looked like a good assortment of items, including hot items such as potatoes, eggs, and make your own waffles. Great government rate.

Room Tip: Just be aware that the floor plan of this hotel includes long hallways (longer than other properties...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, we appreciate your comments and I will forward your concerns about the bedrails and headboard to ownership for review and possible replacement on our next series of updates to the property. Again, thank you for the review and we look forward to seeing you soon,

Safe travels!

Jerry Smith
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Country Inn and Suites in Beckley has become the hotel that we stop at every summer on our road trip down south. Last year we noticed it had gone a little down hill and sadly, this year it has slipped even further. I was greeted by a friendly employee who gave me the AAA rate even though I was not a member. The room had a very odd smell, something I remember from my last stay as well- perhaps heavy chemicals to cover up the smell of smoke? The hot water took about 5 minutes to warm up and even then was only lukewarm. Absolutely no water pressure in the shower. My bed and pillow were comfy. The pullout couch was missing the majority of the springs which made for an uncomfortable night for the person who slept on it. We didn't discover the problem until 10 at night and that point we were too tired to switch rooms. The pool and hot tub seemed a bit dirty. Breakfast was bellow average for your typical 'hotel hot breakfast' in my opinion. I was turned off by two of the employees in the breakfast area get into a loud, verbal fight over a spilled tray. Very unprofessional and made myself, and I assume others uncomfortable. This property is average for the price, a few problems; but still an ok stay. I will probably look elsewhere next year when we are in Beckley, but often after a full day on the road it is easier to stick with something familiar (even when it is just ok)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I am so sorry that your stay was not enjoyable, please call me at 304-252-5100 or email at jsmith@hlihotels.com so I can personally address your concerns.

Lima, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

clean room, restful décor, good breakfast, easy access from I-77.
breakfast crew a bit slow - the Belgian waffle batter ready 1 hour late (2 of 3 mornings), but excellent variety: stayed 3 nights and choices slightly different each morning. One day hot oatmeal, another day biscuits and gravy. had flatwear (not plastic!) and plates. Large, well-kept eating area. Enjoyed the coffee/tea available 24/7 just outside the breakfast room. would prefer if the indoor hot tub, not just the outdoor hot tub, also had the whirlpool jets. Reservation made on-line, but a little hard to get the appropriate room -- reservation defaulted to "handicapped" room, discovered (and changed) at front desk upon arrival. appreciated the separate countertop with refrigerator/microwave/coffee pot. bathroom had both a heat lamp AND exhaust fan; shower head easiest to adjust of all hotel rooms I have stayed in for the last several years.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. The staff and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will consider the Country Inn and Suites again if your ever going through Beckley in the future. Again, thank you for the nice comments, I will pass on to my staff at our monthly employee luncheon.

Safe travels,

Jerry D. Smith

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley? Share your experiences!