“Good---But Getting Pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Charlotte
“Good---But Getting Pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We tend to end up in Beckley quite often on trips from Michigan and Ohio back to North Carolina. We've stayed in this Country Inn many times, and I have reviewed it several times, always with good reviews. It's still a nice place to stay---rooms are in good condition, free breakfast is well done, indoor/outdoor pool complex is above average, etc., etc. The staff have always been friendly here. My only issue this time is that for some reason the price of the rooms has jumped up (room with two beds before AAA discount was almost $150, and suite was quoted at $164). This is Beckley, West Virginia, not a major downtown hotel in a large city!

Perhaps other good hotels in Beckley have gone up too, and they're just meeting the market, but the price now seems out of line. I noted that the hotel seemed to have less occupancy this time, so maybe the pricing is hurting demand.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Thank you for being a loyal guest to the Country Inn and Suites. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and just wanted to say thank you. If you wish to discuss our pricing structure please feel free to call me at 304-252-5100 or email jsmith@hlihotels.com Again, thank you for the business and safe travels!

Jerry Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Forced off the interstate due to storms, this was a decent place to stay. The breakfast in the morning was a good start to the day and comparable to the Marriott chains I normally stay in. The service was very good.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your time in reviewing this hotel. We are glad that your stay was good and we hope to see you again soon. I will pass on your praise to my staff and we hope that if your ever in Beckley (Hopefully under sunny skies) that you stay with us again.

Safe travels,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We were planning on driving straight through from Virginia Beach to Cleveland Ohio. Unfortunately my three year old became car sick. We decided to spend the night and finish the trip in the morning. This hotel was exceptional. Clean large rooms, sitting area, refrigerator, microwave, wet bar, two televisions, hot tub, excellent breakfast with anything you could think of. Warm cookies at front desk. Hot tea and coffee (always available in the lobby). Don't forget the hot tub(s), and pool(s) heated both indoor and outdoors. Makes the hotel on Virginia Beach we stayed at look like a "No Tell Motel"

• Stayed August 2013
What a great review for this hotel, thank you! WE are pleased that your stay was memorable and just wanted to say you made our day! The staff and I work hard to provide a hotel experience that meets your standard of hospitality and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again soon, safe travels!

Thanks

Cedar Springs, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a reunion. We have stayed here going on 4 or so years. This is a great hotel and have recently remodeled their foyer and breakfast area, which looks nice. This is a very large hotel. Has a great porch with chairs to sit and talk.

Being so big it is very busy. It is very difficult to find a chair at breakfast. Lots of foot traffic in and out.

The food was okay but not as good as other Country Suites I have stayed at. Would stay here but enjoyed the peace and quiet of the Princeton's Country Suites

• Stayed August 2013
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Thank you for your honest opinion of the hotel. We are usually sold out every weekend, and it can be quite busy at times. Our popularity with the travels to Beckley is second to none and we work hard to make sure our guests are treated as individuals. I am sorry that you had some concerns, please feel free to contact me at 304-252-5100 or jsmith@hlihotels.com, I would love to earn a second chance. Thank you for the honest review.

Jerry D. Smith
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Let me start by saying that the service at this hotel was top notch and you will not find a better place to stay in Beckley. I have stayed in a lot of Beckley hotels on our annual trips to NC from Ohio so I can say this with a lot of confidence. We normally try to stay cheap on our way down, but this time, with two kids and two tired parents, I just wanted a nice, clean hotel where we could get a suite so the baby could sleep separate from us without all of us having to go to bed at 7pm. This hotel isn't the cheapest in Beckley, but we more than got what we paid for.

Our check in was very easy and the front desk staff were eager to please. I had called the day before to ask if we could have a suite with a door that closed off the living area for the baby, and they told me that some of the suites did this and requested that I be put in one with a door, which we got. There were fresh cookies and the lobby was very welcoming and clean. Our room was spacious and while it was not yet updated (the chain appears to be updating all their rooms and hotels to be more modern), it was very clean and comfortable. The bed linens were wonderful and the beds were soft. The living area and the bedroom both had large flat-screen TVs and the toiletries provided in the bathroom were of nice quality (Pantene, Vaseline, Bath and Body Works brands). The room had a nice kitchenette with a fridge, nice coffee machine, and sink. We swam in the pool that evening, which was huge and both an indoor and outdoor pool-- again, very clean. There were two hot tubs, indoor and outdoor, and the indoor hot tub was so big it was like a pool. The pool area was large with a lot of tables and chairs and plenty of clean pool towels.

We had a comfortable and quiet night's sleep and the next morning went to the free continental breakfast. The breakfast area was huge with lots of tables and chairs. The selection was impressive-- honestly, the selection would rival a Bob Evans breakfast menu. There were many varieties of coffee, varieties of tea, different juices and milks, many cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, hot biscuits, sausage gravy, fried chicken and a homemade waffle machine, to name a few. The food was hot and delicious and the dining room was friendly with someone busing tables to keep clean ones available. The food was refreshed often and there was a nice big screen TV playing the news quietly. Our check-out was quick and easy and one of the best things about this hotel is the check-in and check-out times. Some hotels want you out by 10am, which is pretty much impossible with little ones and all their stuff, but here the check-out was not until 12pm (and check-in was available at 3pm-- early, in my opinion).

In the end, I believe we definitely got what we paid for and if you book through their website early, you can pre-pay for a 15% discount. It was worth the price difference to stay here versus some of the other Beckley hotels and I would absolutely stay here again. In fact, our stay was so great that I will go out of my way to stay at a Country Inn and Suites on our next vacation (and we are actually staying at a different one, equally nice, in a different part of West Virginia on our way home!). Great service, great rooms, great atmosphere.

Room Tip: The hotel has many suites but only some have a door that physically closes off the living area, so c...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
What a very nice review of the hotel, thank you for the time in writing so a glowing recommendation. We really try hard to be a good value to a family and we are so pleased that we succeeded. Again thank you for the kind words, I will share your experience with my staff. Safe travels!

winter haven fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had a small but very nice suite at this hotel. We stayed here so we could see the New River Gorge and the exhibition coal mine. Staff is very attentive and takes care of your every need. The free breakfst was excellent! There is a good variety of selections that changes slightly every day. A staff of six, instead of the usual one, constantly brings out food and beverages and cleans tables.

The hotel resembles an old fasioned hotel with a large porch with rocking chairs in front.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the property. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and just wanted to say thank you for the kind words. I will pass on your accolades to the staff at our next employee luncheon, they will be pleased. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next visit.

Safe travels,

Wv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

By far, an incredible looking place. The following complaints are all minor, but added up. Staff was great, but with the items below, I'd try another hotel next time.

Stayed in room 212. At 7:00 am, was awoken by what sounded like jackhammering on other side of wall. Since this was in a series of 5-10 minute intervals, I assume this was the drainpipes vibrating in the wall.

Breakfast seemed to close early at 10 am given that most of it was pre-prepared and not requiring active staffing.

Pool temp was not what I expected. Getting in the pool was a very slow, one step at a time process to acclimate to the temperature.

The "fitness room" was extremely small with only 1 treadmill, elliptical, and bike. No bench, free weights, or hardly room to move. Both me and my guest had planned to make use of the fitness facilities but passed when we saw them.

Refrigerator barely kept drinks cold. It was turned to max cool and yet I ended up throwing out food and drinks because I didn't feel they were cold enough to be consumable.

Ultimately, the place looked incredible and had very high potential. But I would seriously consider other hotels in the area on my next visit. This hotel should easily be the top in the area.

I did have an experience upon returning to the hotel at night where a stranger tried to scam me for money in the parking lot. The staff saw this and quickly notified security before I even got into the hotel. Security said they would approach the guy and ask him to leave.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review the facility. I am sorry that you had issues with your stay. Please contact me at jsmith@hlihotels.com or 304-252-5100 to discuss your concerns. Again, thank you for the review and I look forward to speaking with you,

Jerry D. Smith

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley? Share your experiences!