“BEST HOTEL IN BECKLEY WEST VIRGINIA” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 20%
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Troy, Ohio
“BEST HOTEL IN BECKLEY WEST VIRGINIA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on our way to Myrtle Beach. The parking lot and grounds of the hotel are very clean and nicely landscaped. Check in was quick and the staff was very friendly. Our room was exceptionally clean and huge! What sets this hotel apart is the pool facility! As a travel agent, I travel extensively---and was impressed by the indoor/outdoor pool and very large hot tubs. The indoor pool connects to the outdoor pool by a "swim" under door. The pools and pool room are large with nice windows. Breakfast was very good with nice selections-eggs, waffles, chicken. We loved this hotel so much, we decided to stay again on the way home, and loved the king suite! It had a large living room, wet bar, and big bathroom. I can't wait to come back in the fall to see the foliage and the Gorge--and most of all, to stay at this awesome hotel! Keep up the good work hotel staff!

Room Tip: The king suite room was very nice!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, WV, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Wow, your review is so nice! Thank you, coming from a travel agent that is high praise, and we are so pleased to have received your review. The staff and I take pride in the property, they are a great bunch to work with, I owe all the success of the property to their tireless work and their commitment to hospitality. Again, thank you and we look forward to seeing you again, our light is always on! Safe travel,

Jerry Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stayed there a few weekends ago. We had to book a room last minute because we were coming in town for a funeral. The rooms were quite pricy (we paid 200 for a suite, because we needed a handicap accessible room) but the regular rooms were 189 we were told. Jeremy who took my call though was great and gave us a AAA discount even though we didn't have AAA. Its easy to find, right off the highway, really close to tamarak and restuarants.

Check in was easy, but It was super packed there due to high school reunions and some teacher conference. Our second night there were no vacancies! I didn't have a problem at all there, i'm not a picky traveler. Rooms were clean, breakfast was very good for hotel food (though it was hard to find a table b/c off all the crowds!) they offer free cookies and coffee all day long in the lobby. We did not use the pool or exercise room but seemed nice. I did use the business center (which is 2 computers in the lobby) and they were very fast and decent. The lobby is cute, and they have a great outdoor patio with rocking chairs.

Our room was a suite, which had 2 queens, fridge, microwave, and a front room with a pullout couch and some armchairs. Great for my handicap grandmother to be able to sit in and rest between events we had. We asked to use a shower chair for her, and the desk brought one up for us no problem. My mother thought the shower pressure wasn't great. The only issue we had really was that we requested an accessible room, and our room was on the 3rd floor, and quite far from the elevator. it was a lot of work for my grandmother to go back and forth. i ended up using her seat walker as a wheelchair for her most of the time because it was too hard for her to get to our room. I know it's not the hotel's fault how the rooms are, and we did book last minute, but that part really bothered us and made our stay quite difficult.

other family also stayed in the hotel with us, and they said they had stayed in a Country Inn elsewhere before, and it wasn't as nice as this one. All in all, I thought it was a great stay (though pricey). It just makes a difference if you have a handicap person with you. I would stay here again just my husband and I if it weren't so pricey.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the property. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and just wanted to say thanks for the kind review. The staff works hard to meet expectations especially during our peak rate season, we are busy all the time. I am sorry though that the ADA room was located away from the elevator. We have several on the first floor but unfortunately they were reserved during your stay. I think the ADA room on third is a little too far I just wish I could fix that issue. Again, thank you and we look forward to your next visit!

Safe travels,

Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Country Inns and Suites during a family trip. Check-in was easy and the staff was friendly. However, when we got to our room the stench of smoke from a "no smoking" room made us back right back out. The staff at the front desk was helpful and apologetic, moving us to a new room immediately. The new room was fine except for an empty plastic cup on the night stand. The room was cold (about 52 degrees) so we turned the heat on to get the chill out. Unfortunately, a horrible burning stench came out of the unit which proceeded to set off the smoke alarm! Not a positive first few minutes to say the least!

After the excitement, I'm happy to report no other problems. The beds were fine and the shower was hot with good water pressure. The room itself was quite large with a room containing a bed and a small table with two chairs. The back room had two queen beds, so the set-up was great for a family of four. Breakfast was you typical cereal, breads, fruit waffles and some eggs, sausage, etc. The pool was larger than most, but a constant high-pitched squeal (a fan?) was head-ache inducing.

Upon check out, I'm happy to say that $35 was taken off our bill without any being asked. I feel that they really do care about their customers.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am so pleased the staff used their service recovery techniques learned through many training classes and staff meetings. We encourage our staff to be proactive and take appropriate action to resolve guest complaints while the guest is still on property. I have a great crew and I am so proud that they turned that frown upside down! Again, thank you for taking the time to review the property, your comments are important and will be shared at our monthly meeting. Safe travels!

Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have stayed at other CI&S and enjoyed the stay -- this one was OK. Location did not allow an easy place to really get out and walk and the AC unit in our room (305) roared like a jet engine.
Breakfast also seemed a bit leanly supplied (we were there at 7 AM so not at tail end).
On the positive -- it is a 3/4 mile walk to Tamarack. There were nice take away bags in the morning with a water bottle and chewy bar. we had a very pleasant dinner on the outdoor patio of Kem's next door at Holiday Inn (and if we travel this way again we will most likely stay there).
Room seemed pricey at $144+taxes. if you can request a room on the top floor and on the back side of the hotel -- quieter.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, WV, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the property. I am sorry that your AC was loud and the breakfast was not stocked to your satisfaction. I will forward your comments to my department heads responsible for these areas and we will make the needed corrections for the next visitor. We do appreciate your time in reviewing the facility and hope to see you again in the future. Again, thank you and safe travels!

new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed for a couple of nights in July. the room was spotless, the breakfast was excellent and the fitness room was kept clean. It was great having a refrigerator and microwave in the room. The location was great - near all of the major roads and since we used the hotel as a base for exploring the area, worked well for us. The complimentary cookies in the lobby weren't bad either!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Your glowing review will be shared to our team at the next staff meeting, they will be thrilled to read this review. Again, thank you for staying and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Safe travels,

Rocky Mount, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We checked in on Thursday after midnight, we were treated so well, we had a family emergency so this was not a well planned trip. It also was the Boy Scout Summit in WV, so the hotel was packed but thank God there was a cancellation. But our room was spotless, the pool was so clean and the breakfast was great. I was so impressed with the amount of people that were staying there and the ability of the Hotel to be as efficient as they were. Great workers, great customer service.

Room Tip: The Queen Suite was perfect, it was large enough for us to have family time yet have some privacy. L...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, WV, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the property. I would like to say that your review made our day! It was an extremely busy time for the property but I agree my employees are great! They make things run smooth, I have the best employees on the exit. Again thank you for the kind review, we look forward to serving you again. Safe travels!

Angola
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

First I want to say the location is great. Close to major routes and attractions. There is even a Cracker Barrel restaurant in the back of the parking lot you can walk to in about 60 seconds. The room was VERY nice. Large and comfortable, and very clean. The king bed was Soo comfy, as was the couch. The bathroom was so large, I do believe they could have fit another bed in there!! I loved having a microwave for reheating meals, and the refrigerator was a much bigger size with a freezer. Great for refreezing our cold packs for our cooler. Our bathtub was slow to drain, leaving you standing in 3 inches of water for your shower. One call to the desk, and it was fixed immediately. The indoor/outdoor pool was HUGE. and a comfortable temperature. Also very clean. Breckast was the best of anywhere we have stayed. A large area with plenty of tables and chairs. A large selection of both hot and cold food choices, (many of them healthy) were available. You could eat here several mornings, and be able to have something different every day... Wonderful. Such variety, and good quality food products It was shocking to see the HUGE amounts of food some people consumed and took more with them in there bags. I am suprised the hotel doesn"t charge for breckfast.. Our only complaint however, was several quests at the hotel, were noisy and pushy, taking over the public areas, and even smoking at poolside. What really turned us off the the number of people who came to breckfast with dirty BAREFEET! Gross, and I am sure it violates all kinds of public health laws. Maybe they need to post a sign... though one wonders if they can even read.

Room Tip: Pool view was beautiful at night, yet quiet. Apparently good quality windows.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for the glowing review. The staff and I are very proud of the facility and this sends a great message to the team that we are doing something right. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again in the future. Safe travels!

Jerry Smith

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, WV? Share your experiences!