“Hair, hair, and EW HAIR....” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 20%
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Mississippi
“Hair, hair, and EW HAIR....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We had reservations and came in late on Sunday PM. Pulling in to the lot, it looks inviting with lighted gables on the building and rocking chairs on the large "porch" area.

Opening the room, a light was on in the "living area" which was nice so we were able to see right away. We loved the fact there were two separate areas for sleeping and socializing, etc. also had a microwave and refrigerator. Bonus.

First call if duty: bathroom break after traveling so far. I immediately saw a hair on the side of the tub. Maybe wouldn't be a big deal had I not seen more IN the tub. Further inspection saw scattered hair against the toilet, the wall, under the sink area. I'm tolerant of a lot of things, but bodily pieces that are obvious severely grosses me out.

It was late, we were tired...everything else looked fine...we went to bed.

My husband cleaned the hair up, but I still put towels down in the bathroom to walk in. Obviously the flour hasn't been TOUCHED from the previous guest and I was NOT putting my bare feet on it. My husband notified the front desk the very next morning, but we weren't offered another room for our second night or any compensation for the nastiness. Just an apology and we were told to tell housekeeping...as if that's OUR job. Unreal.

Pillows were a mix of foam/lumpy/feather...but I always bring my own. Bed was comfortable. Slept great both nights.

I wasn't crazy about the fact the "bedspread" doubling as the blanket, though. The comforter type of thing was covered w/ a bedspread type of duvet cover. Use it or deal with a sheet only. I utilized the extra blanket in the drawer.

In the AM, I
Noticed the side of the nightstand appeared to have what appeared to be small splatters of milk on the side (dried and never cleaned up). The desk chair was extremely worn on the legs...just lack of upkeep...as if the company would rather save a few bucks than replace a chair that is more presentable.

Our screen had about a 6" slit in it, as well...just eyesores and lack of care and upkeep.

The only big obvious cleanliness problem was the hair issue.

I didn't get to the breakfast area, but my husband brought some back to the room for my sleeping child. It looked just fine. After hours, the dining area also appeared to be ok and large.

LOVE the wooden stairs and the fact there are apples available near the entrance at any given time.

Would I return?? A gross bathroom is one of the worst things, IMO...and a floor is one if the easiest things to take care of.
I would have to really think about it before returning... We stayed at the Sleep Inn down the road last year and it was actually a pleasant surprise. The ONLY reason we didn't stay this year is because they only had smoking rooms left.

• Stayed April 2013
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am sorry that your bathroom has not cleaned to your satisfaction. Please call me at 304-252-5100 or email jsmith@hlihotels.com to discuss this issue. We try to make it right for the guests who stay and I would like an opportunity to make it right with you.

Thanks

Jerry Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Clayton, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here a couple of months ago while traveling with my pets. I was looking for a place to spend the night due to a snow storm and found this hotel. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable with a flat screen TV and access to a good selection of television channels. The location is near many restaurants. When leaving in the morning it snowed several inches overnight, but the parking lot and sidewalks were clear of snow. Breakfast was also included with the room. The one other thing I remember from my stay was my experience checking in. The young lady who checked me into the hotel was extremely nice and personable and after a long day of driving in the snow, it felt nice to be greeted by somebody who was smiling and seemed truly interested in making my stay great. I would definitely stay here again if my travels take me in this direction.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Thank you so much for the glowing review! It was indeed our pleasure to serve you and we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay. I would love to know the desk clerk name so I can reward her for delivering such memorable service, if you happen to remember her name could you please email me at jsmith@hlihotels.com. We do value your feedback, I will share your accolades with the staff. Again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to serving you in your future travels! Safe travels!

Beckley, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I stayed here for 10 days. This place was exceptional in all areas: service, price, cleanliness, and amenities, especially since they allow pets which I glad they do. They are very helpful and everything they should be plus more. The pool was nice along with the two hot tubs. However, the weekends are overrun by children..lol.

Room Tip: The suite is a very nice upgrade I would recommend.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
We are so pleased that your extended stay with our hotel was pleasant. We are indeed honored to have hosted you for ten days, and it was indeed our pleasure to serve you during your stay. The hotel can become full of kids sometimes, but we are so kind friendly, plus I must say we have the best pool in town. Again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to serving you again, safe travels!

Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I am a big fan of the Country Inn & Suites in Beckley. The rooms are not exactly spacious but the breakfast is excellent. The pool is a nice diversion if your children are wound up after the drive. The nice added touch is the security guard in the parking lot at night. You do not have to empty your car when you stopover.

Room Tip: Get a room close to the elevator. Get to breakfast early.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
A glowing review of our hotel is such a great thing. All too many times we concentrate on what is wrong with a stay it sure is nice to hear what is right. The staff and I work hard to please the guest and we hope that you stay with us again soon. Thank you for the kind words, I will share your experience with our staff. Safe travels!

Pickering, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

1. the internet... I could not connect properly in my room but I could in lobby and pool area, then I went downstairs and the gentleman at the counter fixed it for me in a jiffy. I wish I could have gone back and say thank you. Please pass this along. 2. Breakfast, really busy place, but being March break I can certainly understand. Missed not having bacon on menu. Again, please pass along to the kitchen staff, they were doing an excellent job for such a busy morning! 3. the cleaning crew....were right ready to clean the rooms for the next batch of canucks coming over...one even help me open the door as I had my hands full. You have great staff!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Yes!! You have made my day, thank you so much for the kind words! We work so hard to please the guests and your review will be shared with my staff! Again, thank you for the review, we look forward to serving you again next time your travels come through Beckley!

Safe Travels,

Sharon, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My family had the pleasure of staying at this hotel last weekend. We were really happy we did. We visit this area a couple of times a year to meet up with family, and this was the first stay at this property. It was a little longer drive than we wanted, but it was worth it. Our family shared 2 suites. They were so nicely laid out. Also, we travel with a dog, and this place sure was pet friendly. They even provide bags to clean up after your pet. The room with the pet had a door between the bedroom and the living area and that was convenient to keep some noise out of the room where our dog was. We were very impressed with the pool, the pool hours, and the common areas. Everything was very clean. The staff even allowed us to eat our pizza, as a family, in the breakfast room. Breakfast was a hit too. the food was all good, and the coffee drinkers raved about the good coffee. We will definitely go the extra miles to stay here when we meet up next!

Room Tip: The suites at the ends of each corridor have a door between the bedroom and living area. We will de...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you so much for the kind review. We do strive to make a memorable stay and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I will share your review with the staff, I am sure it will make their day! Again, thank you and we look forward to serving you and yours soon. Safe travels!

toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here travelling home from Florida, this hotel was a great find. It was very clean and reasonable priced, the staff were very friendly and the breakfast was well thought out. The best part according to the kids was the indoor pool in which you could swim through to the outdoor pool. Our room was very spacious and fit the 5 of us well. We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the CIS Beckley WV. We do take pride in a job well done and your review is the icing on the cake. Again thank you, we will always have the doors open for you and your family and we look forward to serving you again in the future! Safe travels!

Jerry Smith

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley? Share your experiences!