“a good clean place to stop for a night” 4 of 5 stars

Book early and Save 20%
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ontario-Canada
“a good clean place to stop for a night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

The hotel is looking a bit tired and could certainly use a facelift, which i think they are going to do next year. But it is still a very clean, tidy and comfortable place to stay. The staff are quite friendly and helpful and check in and out is very smooth and efficient. Coffee and cookies are often available upon evening check in.
The breakfast is both hot and cold and well presented. Thee are several restaurats nearby which makes this a nice simple stop off on a trip. We have stayed here several times over the past few years and would certainly stay again.
Only negative item was we stayed on election night Nov 6th, hotel was very empty, yet they still placed us next door to other travellers and the tv sound certainly travels through the wall. The people next door stayed up until 3 in the morning listening to election returns, given the vacany rate on would have thought they would not have placed people right next to each other.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
You made my day! Thank you for the kind words, the staff and management works hard to please every guest and it makes our day when we come through with our promise! Again, thank you and we hope to see you again real soon! Safe travels!

Jerry Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Southern Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed one night here on our way to Myrtle Beach from Niagara Falls, Canada. It was a real pleasure with many unexpected pleasentries, like fresh apples and cookies at the front desk. A great computer center and at first glance, a great outdoor seating area.
The indoor/outdoor pool and hottubs were a pleasure, nice and warm.
The Free Breakfast was a surprize with all the amenities both hot and cold.
The rooms themselves are average, infact bordering on needing renovation, but were fully functional.

Decided to stay at this same place on the way back! Not such a good idea!
This is an animal friendly place, we ended up with a dog across the hall, who's owners left it in the room on it's own. Lots of barking! Upon complaining, we were told it if it continued once the owners returned to let the front desk know. 3 hrs later the barking stopped!
Next the pool. Not so hot anymore, heater broken as well as the jets in the hottub. Again, mentioned it to the front desk staff and I was told the the hottubs don't have jets! REALLY!!

BUT MY BIGGEST COMPLAINT.....the outdoor seating area! Although it appears to be a nice place to sit, the SMOKERS congregate in this location. You have to walk through a cloud of smoke everytime you need to get to your car. God forbid if your room is immediately above the area! It is for this very reason, that I will never return.

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room on an upper level, away from the front of the building. This side is away f...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the property. I am sorry that this stay did not meet your expectations. Can you please call me at 304-252-5100 or email me at jsmith@hlihotels.com so we can have a discussion about this stay. Thank you.

Jerry Smith
Chester, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My hubby and I drove 4 hours from VA to experience Bridge Day in nearby Fayette County at the New River Gorge Bridge and stayed in nearby Country Inn & Suites in Beckley. It had been a chilly day, overcast, windy, and when we entered the hotel around 5pm we were welcomed with warmth from the fireplace and nice people behind the desk. Check in was a breeze. We were on the 3rd floor; our room was pretty spacious with two doubles, and other usual amenities, coffee pot, m/w, & fridge. The bathroom was very clean and large. They had a heated indoor pool and the porch had chaise lounges and rocking chairs. WIFI was free with 2 PCs in the lobby. There was plenty places to eat and it was conveniently located off I-77/64. The free breakfast was good and plenteous -- even had eggs and sausage and plenty of coffee. Check out time was 12 noon too. We will go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the Country Inn and Suites, Beckley. We really do appreciate the kind words and I will share all of your concerns with the staff. Again, thank you for staying and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. Safe Travels!
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was a little wary about being put in this hotel because I had never stayed with this chain before. However, my stay here was surprisingly pleasant. This hotel, along with many others, is close to the interstate, so it's easy to find if you are just passing through the area. It is also right next to a Cracker Barrel, which gives you a great option for dinner.

My room was quite large. I got a room with double beds, and I think up to four people would have no trouble staying in such a room without feeling cramped. The TV looked new-ish, but the picture quality was not the greatest. The bathroom was standard with no bells and whistles, but it seemed clean and offered Pantene haircare products. The only thing that really bothered me was that there was a small amount of blood or some other red substance close to the edge of one of the duvets. I simply slept in the other bed -- which was extremely comfortable -- and didn't find any other signs of uncleanliness.

The fitness room was small and only offered two treadmills, no free weights, and no ellipticals, but I tend to only use the treadmill anyway, so that was fine. The hotel's pool is quite large and was vacant when I walked down there. I believe I also saw a jacuzzi in the back.

I was most impressed by the large selection of options at breakfast! I only had a about ten minutes to spare to eat breakfast, so I didn't get to try much, but they had a more extensive selection of hot items than you usually seen in mid-range hotels. Overall, I would stay here again. This hotel is cheaper than the Hampton and Courtyard Marriott nearby and would be a great place for families give the spaciousness of the rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you for the very nice review. It made our day! Hope to see you guys again real soon! Safe travels!
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stopped here on our way from Florida to Ohio to visit family. We found the rooms clean and comfortable. Wi-fi is offered if needed. Hotel is relatively near several dining choices. We ate dinner at "Char" a local place supposedly known for more upscale dining...I;ll write another review on "Char" later.

Pros: Friendly service and good cookies at check-in. Clean rooms. Close to dining choices. Convienent to the interstate. Excellent complimentary breakfast.

Cons: A bit pricey given the other hotel choices nearby. The breakfast, for a motel comp, was very good but did not offer the "eggs cooked to order" as described in the online description. They need to update that. In short we really have no major problems with the establishment.

Overall:: RECOMMENDED.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind review of the hotel. The staff and I really try hard to make this hotel a home away from home. It is a nice feeling to ready such a glowing review, I will make sure the staff hears the good news. I will look into the cook to order eggs on the website, and correct this for you, Again, thank you for staying and safe travels.
north carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel in Beckley was a bit of a disappointment. We jumped up a level from the under $100 hotels there since the reviews were not good,so we expected more. It was tired, old. carpet kinda dirty. I probably would not stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review of the hotel. The property will be going through a renovation beginning in December in which we will refresh all areas of the hotel. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We take your reviews seriously and I will address all concerns with the staff. We would love to have another opportunity to serve you if your travels ever come back through Beckley.
Alliston, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stopped here on our way home. There were many hotels to choose from at this exit. It was 9pm and I haven't stayed at a Country Inn in a while so thought I would give it a chance. When I arrived, the check-in guy was busy on the phone. He didn't even acknowledge me. I stood there for 10 minutes while he finished the reservation. I was about to leave just as he hung up. Another employee walked in while he was on the phone and she didn't acknowledge me either. I should have left but I was tired. The room was a good size. 2 doubles, a table. Microwave and fridge. Bathroom was an okay size but run down. Check-in guy had boasted and all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet. Okay, it was the same breakfast "buffet" all hotels are offering these days. Cereal, toast, bagels, boiled eggs, yogurt and a waffle machine. Some funny looking round egg things and round sausages. It wasn't very good.

With all the other hotels in the area, I would choose somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the Country Inn and Suites, Beckley WV. We do appreciate your feedback and we will address your concerns. I do apologize for the dissapointment in your stay and would like to let you know that I will address your issues with the staff. Again, thank you for staying.

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley? Share your experiences!