“A Little Disappointed, seems to have gone downhill” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early and Save 20%
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Toronto, Ontario
“A Little Disappointed, seems to have gone downhill”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was my second visit to the Country Inn and Suites in Beckley (my first one was last year). We really enjoyed our last stay and thought that it would become our go-to hotel en-route to Myrtle Beach. We were disappointed this year as we felt that things had gone a little down hill. My stay strarted out when I asked for a crib and was told that they no longer offer them. I know some hotels offer playpens instead which would have been fine too. I found this very odd, especially from a newer hotel that is part of a large chain. The room that we had was non-smoking, but stunk of smoke (perhaps it was a smoking room at one time). The room also seemed a bit run down- peeling wall paper in the bathroom, old and worn towels, a few stains on the carpet. I will say that the set up of the suite is ideal and large. The small bar sink and fridge was very useful. The pool was colder than I would have liked, but we had it to our selves which was nice. Breakfast was what you would expect- bread items, yogourt, cereal and a few hot items that looked horrible. All in all the hotel is in a great location and it was fine, just not as good as it was last year. I will likely look at other properties in Beckley next year, but would stay here again if I didn't find anything better. The lack of crib/ playpens was very annoying as my daughter only sleeps in her crib at night and we had a hard time getting her to sleep in bed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for the review of the hotel and thank you for bring some matters to our attention. WE want you to be happy when you stay, and we also want to try and anticipate your needs. I am sorry that we did not this time. The hotel is scheduled for a property wide renovation at the end of the year. We are excited to refresh the property and make sure we can be the home away from home for guests of our property. I will make sure that we have plenty of play yards on your return trip, I hope you would give us another chance. Again, thanks for the review.

Jerry Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Glasgow, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the Country Inn and Suites for two days in July and booked a one bedroom suite. The room was clean, but a bit worn. My daughter enjoyed the indoor/outdoor pool and both hot tubs. Breakfast was OK and they did have waffles, but was crowded. I didn't hear any noise at night once inside our room. I also did a load of laundry which was nice. Overall, a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: We ate at the Japanese Restaurant close to the hotel and it was very good.
Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the Country Inn and Suites of Beckley. We take pride in making sure the guests who stay enjoy their stay, The hotel is going through the planning process at this time to renovate the facility. We anticipate that the renovation to the guest room suites and public areas will begin in December / January. We want to make sure the hotel is in top notch shape for the travelers that frequent the property. Again, thank you for the kind words, and where ever the road may take you, have safe travels!

Thanks

Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Have stayed at country inns before and enjoyed this however was not the greatest experience upon check with large Family with three room one of the rooms had been smoked in even though it was non smoking room had to be ozoned a little bit of a inconvenience. Pool is large however no towels were available and bathrooms were filthy. One last problem kids running up and down the hallways well past midnight.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Hello, I am sorry that you had a bad experience with us on your last visit. I will make sure that the security team is well aware of your issues with noise from children past midnight. I will also inform the housekeeping and maintenance departments of timely restock of the pool and refresh of the pool bathrooms. I hope you accept my sincere apology and I do hope that you give us another chance to make things right. We are dedicated to the enjoyment of our guests and if you have anymore problems or concerns please feel free to call me at 304-252-5100

florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had a nice big room overlooking the parking lot, facing the road. It was quiet -- you could hear the children in the hallway more readily than you could hear the airbrakes on the 18-wheelers heading down the highway.
Exceptionally clean and very roomy. Lower floors allow pets, but hallways were clean.
Third floor (nice wide stairways). Enter the living room with pullout sofa and desk. Large screen TV with Gameboy joystick thingie.
Spacious bathroom and good water pressure. Towels plentiful and name brand toiletries.

Upon check-in we had received a voucher for a free appetizer at the restaurant next door. Nonetheless, we chose to drive around Beckley with the hope of finding a decent restaurant and had a walk around downtown. We stopped in a pub for a pint with great tin ceilings, delightful bartenders (8 or 10 drafts available) but not a stellar menu. Kept walking. Ultimately, we DID use the voucher for dinner next door --- next time we'll pack a sandwich.
A hot breakfast was available at the Comfort Inn & Suites with lots of choices.

Overall this was good value for the money, competitive prices with all of the other chain hotels in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and are thankful for the kind words. We hope to see you again real soon, our door is always open! Safe Travels!

Depew, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stop here every year on our way to South Carolina. Staff was friendly. Beds were comfortable and bedding was clean and seemed somewhat new. Nice bathroom. Breakfast better than most hotels. However...for the past three years the jets in the hot tub inside the pool area have not been working and we were told it was due to a storm this past winter. However....like I said they haven't worked or been on in three years. Maybe they were fixed and took a dump, however, the staff doesn't think that they will be replaced any time soon as a lot of money was put into the pool area recently and this would require the hotel to smash apart the new concrete to fix the problem.

Solution to that is to use the outdoor hot tub which is open year round. Hot tub outside was not up to regular temperature. Hotel pool was maybe in the mid 70's even though hotel staff insisted it was 80. I live in Buffalo NY and our outdoor town pool was the same temp as this indoor pool and that pool temp was 73.

Will still stay again, hope some other upgrades are made in this hotel. Hate to see it go down. We were told last year it was going to be new this year and this year we were told it would be rmodeled by next year. Would be nice if they'd do it instead of talking about it.

Room Tip: Be sure if you don't like a lot of noise to ask for a room away from the end of the hall by the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Jerry S, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Country Inn and Suites, Beckley. Your feedback is very important to us, and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We are in the planning phase of doing a large renovation to the hotel, we expect work to begin hopefully by the end of the year. Ownership is dedicated to the success of this property and it is time to refresh this hotel. I am a new general manager to this hotel and I am aware of the problem with the indoor whirlpool. We are trying to discover a repair for this whirlpool. We believe that the piping to the whirlpool may be severed under the concrete decking. i assure you that we will work this problem through. Again, thanks for the kind words, I will share them with our staff. We look forward to seeing you again, and safe travels!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We booked because of the Country Inn name and reputation. Realized when we pulled into the parking lot that this was an old, worn out hotel. If it hadn't been so late in the evening we would have moved on. The faded exterior was an indication of what was inside. A friend who is in the travel business says when the little things are ignored - the big things will be also. They have cut every corner possible. One little thing - the luggage carts were battered and filthy. Nothing looks professional - everything looks second-rate. And, the smell that others have mentioned - that was real. We should have read the reviews prior to booking. The hotel is supposed to be completely renovated before the end of the year. Good luck with that. They need to start over from the ground up. This appears to be a classic case of the owners ignoring a property until it falls into total disrepair and leaving the managers and staff to deal with the sinking ship. Not worth the money.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Jerry S, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Country Inn and Suites of Beckley. I am truly sorry that your experience with the property was not positive. The staff and management of this hotel is working very hard to please every guest we encounter, and give that home away from home feeling to all that stay. I am sorry that you were not satisfied with the hotel, and I do wish you safe travels to where ever the road takes you.

Respectfully yours,

Country Inn and Suites Beckley
Canton, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We booked this hotel based on the reviews here, but we must have just had a bad room. We needed a place to stay as a half way point on our family vacation, so we booked one of their suites. When we first got to our room, the room had a very strange smell. We opened the windows hoping to air it out, but it didn't work. On top of that, one of the two queen beds was very noisy, so much so that my husband and I were afraid to roll over and didn't sleep well for fear of waking one of our four kids (which is not good when you have another 8 hour drive ahead of you). The next morning we all had stuffy noses and sore throats. It's our fault for not calling and asking to switch rooms, but after a long drive with four kids we were exhausted and just wanted to get settled. If the room had been in ok condition, we wouldn't have had to think about calling the front desk. We had originally booked this hotel for our return trip as well, but we cancelled when we arrived to our destination and booked another hotel in Princeton (WV) instead.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Country Inn and Suites. Reviews are helpfully to the hotel, it gives us a chance to communicate to our guests and its brings problems with the hotel to our attention. I will personally look into the smell problem in the guest rooms, and instruct my maintenance staff to correct the problem as soon as possible. I am sorry that this was an issue, and I do hope that in your travels through this area you may give us another chance. We would love to have you back!

Country Inn and Suites Beckley