“Welcomed surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Central Florida
“Welcomed surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

My wife and I stopped here on a trip to Ohio and were very pleasantly surprised. This is a large hotel, much larger than any Country Inn I have seen along other highways. We booked the King Suite at only a paultry rate higher than a single King room and we were very pleased with the size and value of this two room suite. The hotel is located among many of the typical restaurants found at most large interstate intersections.
All in all, we would easily recommend this hotel for both value and location. Choose here first if you are in the area!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Grand Blanc MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

The staff is excellent and this is a busy CIS, which did not accect our pleasant stay. The breakfast buffet had one of the largest selections of food that actually had real eggs and bacon. We stayed in a jacuzzi suite which was remodeled and large. Doors were nice in that they do not slam shut.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Yorkville, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

Beds were fairly comfortable. Not spotless...but overall clean. Lots of choices at breakfast. Would stay here again.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

We stayed at this hotel as Beckley was a halfway point on our trip to NC. The hotel was very clean. Staying in a pet friendly room, I was a bit concerned that the room would carry with it residual smells, but we were pleasantly surprised. The breakfast area stocked the basic continental breakfast choices plus some extras, including a waffle maker. However, we did not get a chance to try the food as the breakfast area was very crowded. Walking my dog in the morning, I had a chance to chat with some of the hotel staff. Everyone was very friendly. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Mansfield, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

Got broken down in Beckley and were fortunate enough to land here. Staff was very helpful. Stayed 2 days going to Outer Banks and 2 days back due to car issues. Very nice pool area. Nice enough rooms, but when they are updated, it will be fabulous. We will return here. Our 8yo son loves it here. Good hot breakfast, bacon, eggs, fruit, sausage gravy and biscuits, all continental stuff. Clean but in need of an update, which they are doing. We have really enjoyed this area, lots to do and see. Highly recommend.

Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I sleep like a baby in the comfortable bed. The room was clean and presentable. The floors smelled when we arrived and the next day after the room was cleaned. I wonder if they used some type of wet cleaner on the carpet.
The breakfast was not that great. I have stayed at a lot of hotels which offer a free breakfast. This one is lacking. There were no muffins and the waffles tasted awful. The fruit came for a prepackaged jar. There may have been 6 types of fruit, but they all tasted the same due to the packaging. Go for the comfort and save your appetite for lunch.

Altoona, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Just back from one night at the Country Inn & Suites in Beckley, WV. It wasn't a perfect stay, with the hotel and other guests sharing the blame. First, do yourself a favor when booking rooms. Call the hotel directly and ask if they've done any room painting recently. I sure wish I had done that. We breathed paint fumes all night from our freshly finished walls. I know I could have asked for another room, but we had been on the road for nearly ten hours that day and I just wanted to sleep. On a scale of 1-10, I'd rate the fumes at a 6...extremely noticeable but tolerable if very tired. After deciding to stay put in the room, I got a quick shower (in a spotless bathroom.....extremely clean and tidy.....credit to Rose the housekeeper) and tried to set my alarm. Last month, I spent a week in a hotel with the exact same clock radio as my Country Inn room. The other radio worked just fine. This one didn't. No big deal......I really needed some rest, so I just picked up the phone to leave a wake up call with the front desk. Only one problem...the phone was dead. I checked all the outlets, etc., and everything was plugged in. I even plugged the phone into an empty phone jack on the other side of the room with no luck. While I had a cell phone with me and could use it for calls and an alarm, here's my problem.....there aren't many things in a hotel room that need to work (a phone, a TV, and a few lamps), so why can't hotels make sure those things are always in working order?? Regardless, we did have a good night's sleep in the comfy beds. When we got up the next day, we skipped the hotel breakfast. No disrespect to the food (which we never got close enough to see), but the breakfast room was filled to the rafters with vacationing families and their young kids. We skipped it and went somewhere else. If I'm in the area again, I'd probably book the Hampton Inn across the street. It's very nice. I chose Country Inn this time due to an internet promotion.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Beckley? Share your experiences!