“Broadway Alfresco” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 5 Attractions in Beckley
Type: Theaters
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Outdoor dramas. Mid June through late August. Nightly except Mondays.
Beckley, West Virginia
11 attraction reviews
“Broadway Alfresco”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2014

I have lived in Beckley for 25 years and was always ashamed to say that I had never been to Theatre WV except for a production of Oklahoma about 15-20 years ago. The real Theatre WV is outdoor. I got interested because they had been having some financial problems and going to see The Hatfield and McCoys was on my "to do" list--really a nicer term than "Bucket List"--thank you, sister Ann for that distinction. Everyone always talked about how great this attraction was. It did not disappoint. I have seen shows on Broadway, touring companies in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, and have been to the VA state theatre in Abington, VA. Who ever knew that the big talent was in my backyard? Many of these actors worked for free--they just didn't want to see the theatre close. It seems like Theatre WV is back! I really enjoyed the show--and there are some voices who could compete with some of the Broadway voices. The two top McCoys--Randall and Spirit, were especially good. I hope that they have a bigger schedule next year and that we keep attracting talent to WV.

Visited August 2014

Hamilton, Canada
4 attraction reviews
“It's the whole package -- a real gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

My husband and I love this park and theatre. We make a point to stop each time we're on our way through to Florida. This summer we saw The Hatfields and the McCoys and it was great. Two summers ago we saw Honey in the Rock which we loved best of all. This is a real community effort but the production and theatre itself are 100% professional.

Nothing like sitting under the stars and enjoying the theatre..don't miss it!

THE GOOD: The plays themselves are fantastic - great acting, amazing scenery. The seating is terrific, not a bad seat in the house. The scenery of the park is worth 2 hours at least before show time!
THE NOT SO GOOD: The sound this summer wasn't as good as a few years ago :)
THE BOTTOM LINE: Go! Enjoy :)
ADVICE: Go early to walk the short trails and see the best view of the River anywhere ...

Visited July 2014
Pipestem, West Virginia
21 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I highly recommend visiting this outdoor theater. Hatfields and McCoys and Honey In the Rock are excellent shows. Professional acting. Nice atmosphere with clean, fresh mountain air. Remember, evenings in the mountains can be cool so wear appropriate clothing, bring a jacket along.

Visited September 2013
Beckley, West Virginia
31 attraction reviews
“Support the Arts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Theatre WV is awesome. This year they are offering the Hatfields and MCoys and it is very well put together. Grandview National Park is where the theatre is located so if you have time visit the park before the show the views are amazing.

Visited July 2014
Savannah, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
“Fun Outdoor Show”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My family and I went to see the Wizard of Oz, Hatfields and McCoys, and Honey in the Rock. All the shows were great and lots of fun for families. The acting was good as well as the sets and music. It is an outdoor theatre so bring bug spray and a blanket or coat as well as it can get cool in the evening. Plus, the admission is fairly cheap compared to most theatres.

Visited August 2013