“very nice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 15 hotels in Beckley
Detroit, Michigan
“very nice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Very nice and clean. Loved the color scheme. Breakfast was great!! Didn't get a chance to use the pools so I can comment on that. Loved the beds and pillows. Hotel is in a great location, near I-77 and lots of restaurants. I am going to make this my hotel of choice when going to Beckley in the Future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Pittsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Due to a problem on I-77 we were held up for four hours and needed to stop short of our destination going North. Beckely is a very friendly area for travelers and there are many hotels on Harper Road. Because we travel with dogs I thought it might be hard to find a nice place on the spur of the moment, but to my surprise found the best place we have ever stayed in Beckley - and we have stopped here on our way BACK from NY every year for the past 27!
The room was clean and very nice [see my photos], the people at the desk were very friendly and the free breakfast was the best; most variety we've ever encountered in a chain motel. The lobby/dining area is more upscale than the usual motel. Even the hallways are nice and colorful... very nice & safe feel to the place.
The only downside was that the pet fee is above average, but we were happy to find a room on short notice. The room was very clean and I assume that the pet fee is what pays to keep these pet-friendly rooms so spotless.
I'm planning to stay here next week on my return trip South.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Since Beckley is about the half way point for a long drive home, we chose the Fairfield because it's a Marriott. The Beckley Fairfield is no wow hotel, but is very conveniently located right off the freeway and in the same parking lot as an Outback, a McDonald's and an Applebee restaurant and across the road from a whole bunch of other hotels and restaurants too -- all within walking distance. However, arriving on a Saturday evening, the hotel was overrun with guests checking in because it was booked solid and the front desk staff were doing their best to process guests as fast as possible.

The hotel itself looks to be in good shape, with new decor and furnishings. The room is pretty standard but bathroom was extremely small. Tub was old but everything else in the room looked recently renovated. 2 double beds, a work desk/chair, a small fridge and microwave. Breakfast in the morning was average fare, some fruit, breads/bagels, yogurt, self-heat sausage/bacon/egg biscuits, waffle maker. Breakfast on Sunday morning was a zoo, and it was difficult to navigate all the people or get a table. Also, breakfast staff seemed overwhelmed -- no coffee, dirty tables. Need more staff on weekends for sure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Spent the night there and the service and accomodations were excellent. Front desk was friendly and helpful, bed was awesome, pool was clean and very nice and the continental breakfast was exceptional. They offered juices, bagels, toast, several cereals, waffles, hard boiled eggs, milk, coffee, hot chocolate, sausage biscuits, bacon/egg/cheese biscuits, fruit and yogurt. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Staff was very nice and helpful. Room was very clean. Loved that the hotel is pet friendly. Nice clean pool. Near several restaurants, no driving required. Little too pricey. Otherwise very nice stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Putting in a few new pieces of furniture, a new bathroom mirror, and a new shower curtain is not the same thing as remodeling a building. This is not a remodeled property. Our room had holes all over the walls where they had removed old pictures and hadn't patched or painted the old holes. There was mold all around the shower area. Wallpaper was peeling. In general things still looked old, rundown, and dirty. We chose this hotel because we are Marriott members but it was not worth the points.
The breakfast was okay...pretty standard fare...but there was not enough seating after 7am on a Saturday. 5 of us sat at a table for 2 with 1 chair. People were waiting in line for tables. There was plenty of food, but not nearly enough seating. Get rid of the couches and add tables.

Room Tip: Skip this place and try the Courtyard by Marriott at the same street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
JACKSONVILLE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Staff was nice and Dining area was comfortable. Located near some good eating establishments that are across the parking lot, so no driving needed.

I turned in a Guest survey the morning I left and had not heard from anyone, so I am posting this in case the staff decided to throw away the survey and not give it to Management. I used their iron to iron my shirt for work the next day and it put permanent stains. I went and told front desk, and all they could do is say "sorry", and offered no exchange of iron. Had to go buy new shirts and clean the Iron to get my new stuff ironed. Later I had to use the business center, I could not print and told front desk, she came out and said you need to put paper in there....I said there is paper, she said well it says cartridge is in error and I know nothing about this. She let me in her office to bring up what I needed to print and the printer was not working there either! The guy working with her couldn't figure it out either, so what I had to do for my work the next day was not completed and I was not prepared. She said she couldn't do anything about it.

That night my toilet was hissing all night, woke me up several time because it got so loud. I went to front desk in the morning, told front desk that the toilet was running in 420, he said I will submit a work order now. I went to work and came home exhausted, got up to my room only to find that my key didn't work. I went to front desk, and said I think my key got demagnetized and the gentleman said..noooo they only you set you up for one day...(my stay was three days). Okay problem solved, so I go up to the room and my toilet was still hissing, so again I go to front desk and asked if a maintenance ticket was submitted and was told "no" by the lady and the Maintenance. Maintenance (Nice guy) said he would take care if it immediately. He came up replaced a few parts and said done. I went down stairs after I changed and asked the lady at the desk "Where is a good place to eat other than OUTBACK and Hooters for dinner" and her reply was IHOP! REALLY??? I go there late at night for a snack, or breakfast in the morning, but IHOP for dinner? Get back after going to a Mexican place up the street. I come back to room only to find out the toilet was still hissing, and the rubber gasket was not sealing n ow. So every time I flush I had to reseat the rubber to get it to fill. Hissing throughout night again. I just put a note on my door to leave my room alone.

Room wasn't vacuumed very well and you can tell in bathroom things weren't moved to wipe down because the sign on counter by sink had dust surrounding the back side and you can tell where cleaning staff wiped and didn't. I had plastic tabs from my shirt on floor still there from opening new shirt the night before.

Overall if you just need a nicer place than Econo Lodge and a place to sleep...this may be it, but you won't get what you paid for. I know I will be back to Beckley, just not back at this Hotel. Waiting for my Survey from Marriott's to come in via email. Oh and not a very well organized construction going on, made it hard to get into building if you were there for first time with no key.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Beckley? Share your experiences!