“Wonderful Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Richmond, Virginia
“Wonderful Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Spent the night there and the service and accomodations were excellent. Front desk was friendly and helpful, bed was awesome, pool was clean and very nice and the continental breakfast was exceptional. They offered juices, bagels, toast, several cereals, waffles, hard boiled eggs, milk, coffee, hot chocolate, sausage biscuits, bacon/egg/cheese biscuits, fruit and yogurt. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Staff was very nice and helpful. Room was very clean. Loved that the hotel is pet friendly. Nice clean pool. Near several restaurants, no driving required. Little too pricey. Otherwise very nice stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Putting in a few new pieces of furniture, a new bathroom mirror, and a new shower curtain is not the same thing as remodeling a building. This is not a remodeled property. Our room had holes all over the walls where they had removed old pictures and hadn't patched or painted the old holes. There was mold all around the shower area. Wallpaper was peeling. In general things still looked old, rundown, and dirty. We chose this hotel because we are Marriott members but it was not worth the points.
The breakfast was okay...pretty standard fare...but there was not enough seating after 7am on a Saturday. 5 of us sat at a table for 2 with 1 chair. People were waiting in line for tables. There was plenty of food, but not nearly enough seating. Get rid of the couches and add tables.

Room Tip: Skip this place and try the Courtyard by Marriott at the same street.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
JACKSONVILLE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

Staff was nice and Dining area was comfortable. Located near some good eating establishments that are across the parking lot, so no driving needed.

I turned in a Guest survey the morning I left and had not heard from anyone, so I am posting this in case the staff decided to throw away the survey and not give it to Management. I used their iron to iron my shirt for work the next day and it put permanent stains. I went and told front desk, and all they could do is say "sorry", and offered no exchange of iron. Had to go buy new shirts and clean the Iron to get my new stuff ironed. Later I had to use the business center, I could not print and told front desk, she came out and said you need to put paper in there....I said there is paper, she said well it says cartridge is in error and I know nothing about this. She let me in her office to bring up what I needed to print and the printer was not working there either! The guy working with her couldn't figure it out either, so what I had to do for my work the next day was not completed and I was not prepared. She said she couldn't do anything about it.

That night my toilet was hissing all night, woke me up several time because it got so loud. I went to front desk in the morning, told front desk that the toilet was running in 420, he said I will submit a work order now. I went to work and came home exhausted, got up to my room only to find that my key didn't work. I went to front desk, and said I think my key got demagnetized and the gentleman said..noooo they only you set you up for one day...(my stay was three days). Okay problem solved, so I go up to the room and my toilet was still hissing, so again I go to front desk and asked if a maintenance ticket was submitted and was told "no" by the lady and the Maintenance. Maintenance (Nice guy) said he would take care if it immediately. He came up replaced a few parts and said done. I went down stairs after I changed and asked the lady at the desk "Where is a good place to eat other than OUTBACK and Hooters for dinner" and her reply was IHOP! REALLY??? I go there late at night for a snack, or breakfast in the morning, but IHOP for dinner? Get back after going to a Mexican place up the street. I come back to room only to find out the toilet was still hissing, and the rubber gasket was not sealing n ow. So every time I flush I had to reseat the rubber to get it to fill. Hissing throughout night again. I just put a note on my door to leave my room alone.

Room wasn't vacuumed very well and you can tell in bathroom things weren't moved to wipe down because the sign on counter by sink had dust surrounding the back side and you can tell where cleaning staff wiped and didn't. I had plastic tabs from my shirt on floor still there from opening new shirt the night before.

Overall if you just need a nicer place than Econo Lodge and a place to sleep...this may be it, but you won't get what you paid for. I know I will be back to Beckley, just not back at this Hotel. Waiting for my Survey from Marriott's to come in via email. Oh and not a very well organized construction going on, made it hard to get into building if you were there for first time with no key.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

Normally stay at Hampton inn but decided to try mar riot's Hampton inn this trip as i am a marriott silver member with my business What a mistake! Walking into hotel past two doggies that were also spending the night in the hotel. I am allergic to dogs and did not know that Fairfield was a dog friendly facility. Lady at front desk was finishing a personal conversation with someone but ended it as we approached. Even though parking lot was nearly empty she said only room was a suite and we could not get our AAA rate on this room as discounts are only provided based on occupancy so we get no discount. Not exactly like she presented it but that was the message we heard. We have never encountered this with any hotel chain and especially any Marriott hotel. We were shocked and disappointed but since we had been on the road all day and ready to stop we agreed to the $115 room rate that escalated to almost $150 the next day after taxes. Guess what hotel chain we are never staying at ever again.

Bathroom in suite was so small I hurt my foot opening the door to leave. Literally two inches between commode and edge of door. Layout of room was awkward with tv off center to the bed and screwed down so you could not moe it. Breakfast was ok but breakfast area was too small and the layout caused lots of collisions near the food line even when not busy. Adding lobby area could have been used for breakfast but was empty of any people every time I saw it

Value of hotel was low, I was considering one star but rated two to be fair. We got a good nights sleep even though the hotel and room rate was klugy. I am serious in my comments that I will never ever stay at a Fairfield again. Lack of discount that I was eligible for really fried me. In hind site we should have walked after walking in the door

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Central VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Traveling through WV this weekend we decided to stop over in Beckley. We have stayed at this property a number of times, but it has been years ago.
First impression: front desk and reservations staff were very friendly. Easy to get to
Clean property
Quiet. Super super quiet
We discovered however, you will be fighting for the bed covers with your bed mate all night. They are too small and much too thin for the beds. Plus the AC is super cold. I spent most of the night adjusting the thermostat and grabbing a cirner of the blanket therd were no extras in the closet We had a double room not a king. It was very odd
Otherwise good stay over.

• Stayed May 2012
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Nestled amid many other motels and several restaurants lies the Fairfield Inn of Beckley. Our "suite" was clean and fairly quiet considering it was next to the elevator. One of the smallest bathrooms we've ever encountered in a motel. Front desk personnel were polite enough. Breakfast was OK. The "business center" is on one wall of the breakfast room--not much privacy.
Nothing here to get upset about, but nothing to make us want t come back either. Best part about staying here was its location next to the Outback Restaurant.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Beckley? Share your experiences!