“In the process of finishing renovations at Fairfield Beckley” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Kentucky
“In the process of finishing renovations at Fairfield Beckley”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

This was my first trip to Beckley since the late 90's. Granted, I know that much has changed in almost 15 years.

This Fairfield is in the middle of a total remodel to the property. After talking with management, I learned that original property is around 30 or so years old. You can tell on exterior that this was not originally a Fairfield.

I stayed on top floor which is basically finished with remodel. Because I was Marriott Gold Rewards member, I was upgraded to suite. They are adding 2 suites on end of each floor. You have normal room with an additional sitting room attached--includes small sofa, chair and second TV.

In terms of furnishings, everything had been upgraded--new carpet, flat panel TV's, newer furniture and very good bedding. I had a great night's sleep. Bathroom was definitely not totally redone--but was clean. Bathroom would probably be the one area that I say is lacking compared to higher-end properties.

I believe the rest of hotel is scheduled to be finished within a couple of months.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. They had large breakfast area downstairs. I didn't eat the complimentary breakfast so I can't comment. but the area looked clean and inviting.

All in all, much better than I expected. Rate here was better than several similar properties I priced in Beckley. One of the way reasons why I selected this Fairfield.

Yes, the exterior does look dated. but the property is in the middle of finishing the remodel inside. I think this is an above average place. If you have stayed in Fairfields before, this is comparable to most I have stayed in--if not better.

Room Tip: Ask for the finished remodeled floor. I was on top floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

We stayed here a few years ago and decided that, although older, it was well-maintained and OK for one night. So I didn't bother to check Tripadvisor reviews. Bad mistake.

We arrived to find that apparently nobody had read our requests and nothing was to our preference. After sorting out the best we could manage, we checked out the room. As usual, my wife checked for bedbugs. No problem, but there were two large staples. Probably from the mattress packaging. How could the housekeeper manage to put on the fitted sheet without noticing?

About those renos... it seems to me that if a hotel is in the midst of renovations they should mention that fact on their website or to any caller. For us, surprise! There was an apologetic note in the room, promising that noise would be kept to certain daytime hours. Okay, but no promises about the smell. In late afternoon the whole floor we were on smelled strongly of turpentine or varsol or something. Good thing this was a 100% non-smoking hotel, otherwise a lit match would have blown up the place. We kept the heating/fan going to counteract the hall pressure pushing in the fumes. However, that heated up the room. When we had arrived, it was set to 68, but it felt like a sauna. Lowering the temp made no difference. It was all or nothing. Obviously the thermostat wasn't working. Or perhaps it was confused by the constant cold draft coming down from the cracked window pane.

Anyway, if our reno'd room is anything to judge by, they'd better fire their contractors and sue them. The wallpaper had bubbles and the caulking on the bathtub had gaps and holes. For a couple of bucks they could have replaced the light switch in the bathroom, but no, they kept the old one, with at least a decade of accumulated dirt. Also, they could have replaced the bed linens and towels if they were spiffing up. But no.... next time, get an architect. As others have noted, the bathroom is tiny and poorly laid out. By using the space under the counter they could easily have freed up area.

Well, the new carpet was fine. Let's just hope they replace the one in the elevator, too. And fix up all the scratches and dents - the damage gives the place a decrepit look.

Bottom line: they don't care.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I hate writing bad reviews, but I like honest opinion and feedback, And in all fairness to this hotel, it is undergoing renovations and they gave us a newly-renovated room,

However, we found a spider on the piloow and that spoiled the expeience as we did not have a good nite sleep worrying spider crawling over us. This is a sign of cleaniness. Though the room is newly renovated, they need to clean it properly before open for guest.

One thing they left out of the renovation is replacing the mattress and pillows, the mattress is so soft and making it uncomfortable to sleep on too.

The breakfast area is large and well stocked with the staples.

Not up to the normal Marriott standard as expected

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Dover, DE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

The hotel is being renovated and that's a good thing as the general condition of the property is showing it's age and wear and tear. The first night I stayed there I was given an older non renovated room. It was mediocre. On my return trip when I stayed there I was put up in a newly renovated room which was better. On both nights staying there the rooms were neat and clean. During this renovation period, you would think they would offer some extra Marriott Reward points or perhaps a discount on the room rate to compensate for the construction noise and clutter. But no luck there. Until they get completely renovated and a proper evaluation can be made, I think I will seek lodging else where at this exit. This hotel is located at exit 44 on I-64/77 in WV. At that exit there are several other newer hotels to choose from at the same price point. For the price I think you can do better and have an upgrade in quality staying at a different hotel.

Room Tip: This hotel accepts pets which are roomed on the first floor. If you don't have a pet, choose a r...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

I hate writing bad reviews, but I like honest reviews so I do what I have to do. And in all fairness to this hotel, it is undergoing renovations (it needs them!). There were some newly-renovated rooms, but I did not have one of those rooms (unfortunately). If you stay here, make sure to request a renovated room.

First, this hotel is way overpriced for what it is. I used Marriott points and FF Inns are usually 10,000. But, this hotel was 15,000! That is about 10,000 too many! It’s a very old hotel and doesn’t seem to be the same quality of other Fairfield Inns that I am used too. The room was clean, but just not welcoming. The windows were dirty and the bathroom so small; you have to touch the toilet to close the bathroom door. But, again it was clean – I will reiterate that. There were lots of clean towels.

The bed was ok, but it had the gross old-fashioned limp bedpad on it that bunched up all night long. It was horrible! But, the bed itself was comfortable. They need to update those bedpads! At the rates they charge, they can afford it!

The elevators seemed older than I am, and the stairwell on the opposite end of the lobby was smelly, really smelly.

The location of this hotel is the worst. It is very commercial – just a bunch of crappy fast food joints (so rundown looking) and gas stations. It’s 1 second off the interstate, so if that’s what you’re looking for, it’s fine. I went to the Pizza Hut (for lack of anything better), and the Pizza Hut exterior was so nasty, I wouldn’t even go in. There’s an Outback right in front of the hotel; but, being a vegetarian, that didn’t help me.

The front desk staff was very nice, but it didn’t make up for my disappointment in this Fairfield Inn. I agree with the other reviewers; it would be better served as a Motel 6 – and the price should NOT be more than $38 - $50 a night! When I made my reservation, it was over $100 a night – which is why I opted to use points; but, I am sorry I used so many on it.

There is free wi-fi but it was insanely slow. I called the desk to ask why and I was told “after the renovations” it will be better. Lot of good that does me!

On the positive side, it was the BEST breakfast room. Friendly lady working in there, and it was super-clean and lots of tables. There were plenty of good eats. That was the best part of this hotel (and the friendly staff). Another positive thing, plenty of free parking.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for one of their renovated room
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

We stayed at this hotel on October 7, 2011. If we had not already paid when we made our reservation on line, we would have left as soon as we entered the front door. Luggage carts in various stages of disrepair cluttered the lobby, the rugs (not matching) were askew and dirty. The floor of the elevator was littered with black stuff (which was still there the next morning). Although the room was relatively clean, our window looked out on the parking lot where resided a huge dumpster, a hoist and semi truck trailers. The view should have been of the gorgeous mountains, but we couldn't see them because of the vehicles and junk. This was surprising to us particularly because we had booked ahead and because the hotel did not seem to be full. The next morning as we left the room to go to breakfast, we were met in the hall by a couple with a mangy old dog who had obviously been staying in the room next to ours. It made us wonder whether another old dog had stayed in our room at some point. We also noticed that the back door of the hotel was propped open for quite a while, meaning anyone could enter the back of the hotel without anyone seeing--not great security. Although the breakfast was okay, the big window looking out on the beautiful scenery behind the hotel was both dirty and the view obscured by outdated curtains which covered part of the window.
We go down to N, Carolina via Beckley every year, but we certainly will not be staying at the Fairfield ever again!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! If you do, ask about pets and about the view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bryson City, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

although somewhat outdated, this hotel was quite nice and very convenient. I was especially impressed with usually forgotten " little things". In this case it was the fresh baked cookies in the lobby in the evening. The breakfast was very nice with nice bisquits and a good selection of bagels fruit etc. It will be very nice when the soon to begin renovations are done

• Stayed September 2011