“Should rank #1” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Buffalo, New York
“Should rank #1”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We've stayed at this Courtyard for years and improvement has been made every year. This year the best stay. I can say very clean, quiet and a very nice staff. The bed was so comfortable, it was appreciated. An advantage is the walkable Applebee's, it's nice not to get in the car again after a long trip. There is a Bistro which we did use in the morning. As with all Courtyards, there is no comp breakfast. I think it is the best pick in Beckley, lovely pool and a nice workout room. What's not to like? We'll be back next time on our way back home.

Room Tip: I request high floors so there is no sound transfer from above.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Naoma D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Beckley, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you so much for taking time for share your recent experience at our hotel. It is so refreshing when a guest comments on the cleanliness of our rooms and I have enjoyed sharing your comments with our houskeeping staff. We look forward to having you as our guest on your next stay in Beckley.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great choice when travelling. The hotel was clean and the beds were very comfortable. Rooms were very quiet. The only downfall was a car alarm from a car at the hotel next door was going off throughout the night. The rate was average and it would be nice to have breakfast in the morning (although courtyards don't include breakfast in the rate). Would stay here again when travelling through area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Naoma D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Beckley, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott in Beckley. Our main goal is to meet the needs of our guests and make them as comfortable as possible when away from home. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I am in the Beckley area every couple of weeks for work. This hotel is a nice choice for the area. The hotel has a cleaner feeling then other hotels in this area. The bed was very comfortable. The shower had great pressure, hot water, nice shower head and the curved shower rod for it to feel bigger. The nickel finished facet makes it look so much cleaner in the bathroom then a regular one. The sink is separate from the shower and toilet area. A tip I would give is to ask for an odd numbered room due to the loud highway sounds on the front side or even numbered side of the hotel. Also, I was on the 4th floor, which is the highest and aside from the loud traffic I didn't hear the other guests around me. My coworkers stayed on the 2nd and 3rd floors and said they heard people above and to the sides of them, but the odd numbered rooms didn't hear the highway traffic. Another disappointment was from just 1 person at the hotel. I wish I had gotten her name. She was working on 12/4/13 around 12:15 pm. She had fairly short blond hair and glasses. My coworker was questioning the taxes that was applied to his room charge because we are Government workers on Official business and tax exempt. He was being polite and not understanding why they would not consider us tax exempt. We have never had a problem with our tax exemption at any other hotel - and we travel to many places. This lady raised her voice, slammed a piece of paper on the counter and then huffed out the front door as to say end of conversation (I'm guessing). I must say that was not the right way to handle it and she was extremely rude. But having said that, EVERYONE else at the hotel was very nice. We went to have dinner at the Bistro, in the hotel, and the cook quit that night. The people on duty called in the food service manager, apologized for the inconvenience and refunded the cost of our dinner. The person at the Bistro was so nice and the food was good. Especially the ham, egg and cheese croissant for breakfast.

Room Tip: Stay on the 4th floor in an odd numbered room to avoid hearing the highway traffic.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

My family and I stayed here for one night on a long-weekend road trip from New Jersey to Washington. Clean. affordable stay, with great service from the staff. Packing available. Close to restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed here last week on the way to Fairmont WV. I stay usually at 20-30 Courtyards per year and this was pretty much the most spartan/basic property of them all where I have ever stayed. As an example, I stayed at a Fairfield in Fairmont and considered it to be a much nicer property (even if it was the same money - however the Fairfield was significantly less expensive).

So here the issues with this property
1) No jacuzzi by the pool and the pool was the smallest I've ever seen at a Courtyard. They said they used to have a jacuzzi but covered it over by cement because "kids were playing in it and messing up the jets" Huh? How do all the other properties keep them going?
2) Fitness room was small and uimpressive
3) As a platinum, I got a tiny King bed room - reminded me totally of a Fairfield room. Had a gorgeous view of the parking lot on the 1st floor.
4) The lobby restaurant was only opened for a few hours in the morning and at night. Closed the majority of the day.

So I will also say there was nothing major that was wrong with this place. I'd just rate it a step below your average Hampton Inn, Holiday Express or even most Fairfield Inns. And so I walked 300 feet over to the nearby Fairfield and it looked just as nice inside and seemed to be better run than this property.

Thus my recommendation if you stay at Marriott properties - save the money or the points and stay at the nearby Fairfield - you'll be disappointed in this Courtyard.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
As General Manager I was sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with our hotel during your recent stay. Here at Courtyard we strive to provide the best customer service possible and sometimes we fail in satisfying all of our guests. Fortunately, in the Marrriott chain there are many different brands that cater to different indiviual needs. I am happy to know that Fairfield Inn meets your guest needs and we hope to retain you as a loyal Marriott customer for many years to come, again I apologize for your dissapointment.
Sincerely
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We were somewhat worried before arriving at this hotel. Read some of the reviews and they gave us pause however we were more than pleased upon arrival. Friendly and efficient check in and check out. Staff friendly. Walking distance to eatery's. Your in the mountains so everything is packed compactly property wise.
Nice beds and room. Pleased.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This hotel is a great example of why you need to read TA reviews, and not just rely on the "circle" rating. The hotel was renovated in 2012, so complaints about the rooms from before that are irrelevant. Our room was great, spacious, attractive. And a lot of the mediocre reviews complain that the hotel doesn't have breakfast. IT'S A COURTYARD, PEOPLE! They never give free breakfast. There's an overpriced cafe downstairs, but there are a bunch of resturants nearby, some in walking distance. If you need something quick, there's a McD's next door.

I'd give the hotel 4.5 stars for the dead bug on the rug and the maid giving us two conditioners instead of a shampoo and conditioner, but I'll round it up to five.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Beckley? Share your experiences!