“Very Weak for a Courtyard - Other Suggestions” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Atlanta, GA
“Very Weak for a Courtyard - Other Suggestions”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

I stayed here last week on the way to Fairmont WV. I stay usually at 20-30 Courtyards per year and this was pretty much the most spartan/basic property of them all where I have ever stayed. As an example, I stayed at a Fairfield in Fairmont and considered it to be a much nicer property (even if it was the same money - however the Fairfield was significantly less expensive).

So here the issues with this property
1) No jacuzzi by the pool and the pool was the smallest I've ever seen at a Courtyard. They said they used to have a jacuzzi but covered it over by cement because "kids were playing in it and messing up the jets" Huh? How do all the other properties keep them going?
2) Fitness room was small and uimpressive
3) As a platinum, I got a tiny King bed room - reminded me totally of a Fairfield room. Had a gorgeous view of the parking lot on the 1st floor.
4) The lobby restaurant was only opened for a few hours in the morning and at night. Closed the majority of the day.

So I will also say there was nothing major that was wrong with this place. I'd just rate it a step below your average Hampton Inn, Holiday Express or even most Fairfield Inns. And so I walked 300 feet over to the nearby Fairfield and it looked just as nice inside and seemed to be better run than this property.

Thus my recommendation if you stay at Marriott properties - save the money or the points and stay at the nearby Fairfield - you'll be disappointed in this Courtyard.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Naoma D, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Beckley, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
As General Manager I was sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with our hotel during your recent stay. Here at Courtyard we strive to provide the best customer service possible and sometimes we fail in satisfying all of our guests. Fortunately, in the Marrriott chain there are many different brands that cater to different indiviual needs. I am happy to know that Fairfield Inn meets your guest needs and we hope to retain you as a loyal Marriott customer for many years to come, again I apologize for your dissapointment.
Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We were somewhat worried before arriving at this hotel. Read some of the reviews and they gave us pause however we were more than pleased upon arrival. Friendly and efficient check in and check out. Staff friendly. Walking distance to eatery's. Your in the mountains so everything is packed compactly property wise.
Nice beds and room. Pleased.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This hotel is a great example of why you need to read TA reviews, and not just rely on the "circle" rating. The hotel was renovated in 2012, so complaints about the rooms from before that are irrelevant. Our room was great, spacious, attractive. And a lot of the mediocre reviews complain that the hotel doesn't have breakfast. IT'S A COURTYARD, PEOPLE! They never give free breakfast. There's an overpriced cafe downstairs, but there are a bunch of resturants nearby, some in walking distance. If you need something quick, there's a McD's next door.

I'd give the hotel 4.5 stars for the dead bug on the rug and the maid giving us two conditioners instead of a shampoo and conditioner, but I'll round it up to five.

Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Very clean, and comfortable. Great location when traveling in West Virginia, and convenient to I-77. Staff very friendly. Outback Steakhouse, and Applebee's across the parking lot. McDonalds, Dairy Queen, Wendy's, Tudor's Biscuit World all within 1 1/2 miles. Kroger about a mile away if you need food for coolers. All the usual Courtyard amenities. This is our second stay in this hotel within the last two weeks, so I did stay there twice.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Was unable to find a room late at night all hotels were booked. We found the courtyard in Beckley WV
the night staff was very friendly. the room was very clean and comfortable. I want thank Teresa and Marguita they were great. Great Stay!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Courtyard in Beckley is an older property that has been reasonably maintained, but is showing signs of age. Even though we had a reservation, it took several minutes for our host to locate a clean room. Our room was adequate, but the bathroom sink had an assortment of hair from previous guests just under the rim. This is not what you like or expect to see at any property. The towels were very thin. On the plus side, the bed was quite comfortable. Warm weather allowed us to relax on the small balcony. There are a number of fast food and casual dining spots nearby, some within walking distance, and some that are open 24 hours. Courtyard Beckley would not be my first choice for a return visit, but it would suffice in a pinch.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My family and I stayed here for one night on a long-weekend road trip from Pennsylvania to Florida. Being several hours into our journey, Beckley was a nice stop. The Courtyard in Beckley was tastefully appointment, recently renovated, clean, and extremely comfortable. The beds were very soft - a far cry from the rocks that I find at many hotels. A number of reviewers have commented on the lack of continental breakfast. This is consistent with the rest of the Courtyard brand so I wasn't surprised by this nor was I disappointed. With a senior citizen discount, our rate was $118, which seems kind of steep for a hotel clearly designed for car travelers off of the interstate. But, this is comparable to other similarly-appointed hotels in the area, so Beckley appears to be just generally priced in this range. The other thing that left we scratching my head was the attire worn by the hotel staff. Both front desk staff with whom I interacted were clad in slacks and lime green Courtyard T-shirts. It doesn't impact the level of service, but it certainly did not give off the professional vibe that I'm used to from a brand like Courtyard that caters to both the leisure and business crowd alike.

I'd stayed at the sister-brand Fairfield across the street to this property about a year ago, and would say that the two properties are comparable. If in the area again, I'd probably make the decision based upon price point between these two properties and the Hampton down the road. So, if the price was competitive, I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beckley
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Beckley
Comfort Inn Beckley
Comfort Inn Beckley
#8 of 15 in Beckley
3.5 of 5 stars 177 reviews

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Beckley? Share your experiences!