“Not worth a return trip” 3 of 5 stars

Super 8 Beckley
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2014 Harper Rd., Beckley, WV 25801   |
Ranked #14 of 15 hotels in Beckley
PA
“Not worth a return trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

Our room wasn't as bad as some of the other writers' but there was room for improvement. First, it doesn't seem to be soundproofed well. I've never stayed in a hotel where you can hear footsteps overhead. The non-smoking room had a slight smell of cigarettes but that can be blamed on rude former guests. The curtains weren't heavy enough to keep out most of the light, there were some burns in the bedspread but what really turned me off was old urine at the base of the toilet. How was this not seen by the housekeeping staff? The breakfast selection was poor and we ate elsewhere.
All in all this wasn't the worst place I ever stayed, but I'd pick somewhere else the next time I have to stay in Beckley.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Putnam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

we have stayed in many super 8 motels over the years and this is the worst one...we usually enjoy our rooms in this chain but are now reluctant to try another one after this experience...it was tired, rather unclean, poor breakfast and generally not an experience one would enjoy...would never stay here again...far too much money for such a miserable room...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

My family, some friends of ours, and I were on our way home from North Carolina. We were a family of four, and our friends were a family of seven. From the start the service was bad, and it only got worse. We actually found an old plastic fork and some left over French fries in our fridge. And I don't want to hear anyone complain about their microwave or fridge. We didn't even have one, but it didn't matter anyway. The room was drafty enough to keep an iceburg cold, even in the summer. We absolutally hated our stay, and we were glad we only had to stay for one night.
Some advise to anyone thinking about staying here: STOP THINKING!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
East Coast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2009

This hotel was filthy and had bugs in both rooms . If we would have arrived earlier we would have left it and gone to one of the many other choices in the area. As it was we arrived late at night after 12 hours on the road and could not cancel our reservation without losing the cost of both rooms. One room had bloodstains on the sheets, both rooms had dirt crusted everywhere to the point that we did not walk barefoot on the carpets or in the bathrooms, both smelled terrible, we woke up at 3 am to crawling bugs in the beds, there was trash everywhere in the parking lot. It was just a nasty bad experience and I would not recommend it to anyone , even if you are on a budget. There are many other better choices in this area. The manager would only refund 1 room, but I had to really complain to get him to do this.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
mdavis303
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

Do not stay at this hotel. Our room had bedbugs and fleas. When we reported it to the front desk, they did not care and basically blew us off. We have reported this hotel currently to the BBB and the Health Dept.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
sarnia, on
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

Heading towards Pittsburgh from Asheville, NC, Beckley seemed the logical place to get a room at 9:00 p.m. on a Saturday night. My 14 year old daughter and I took an exit and happened to find this Super 8. When we approached the desk there was one man ahead of us who seemed to be having some trouble with his credit cards. When it was our turn we asked for a 2 bed NON-smoking room. I was quoted a price of $105.00 PLUS TAX. This seemed really expensive but I was tired of driving and as I looked around I noticed a line up behind me with more and more people squeezing in the door. It seemed like everyone was tired of traveling all at the same time.

I decided to stay and gave the clerk my credit card. I don't know the area and for all I knew this was the cheapest motel around. When we got to our room on the 3rd floor there was a heavy smell of smoke and an ashtray & matches on the nightstand. Obviously not a NON-smoking room! I could keep this room or wait in line behind all the crowds downstairs so I reluctantly kept it. Afterwards I checked the listed price for this motel on their own website and it was listed at $79.00 per night. Did they jack up the prices because there was a crowd???

The bedspread had multiple cigarette burns on it and when I tried to get to sleep I could smell smoke in the pillows. The air conditioner caused the wall behind the bed to vibrate when it kicked into high gear. This was not a motel that we dawdled in the next morning.

• Liked — the elevator to the 3rd floor
  • Disliked — trumped-up price
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Western NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

+ easy access from highway
+ room was available at reserved price
+ staff was helpful
- 1st room was unacceptable (TV was broken), 2nd was unacceptable (terrible smell); 3rd was OK
- motel is showing its age
- b'fast was not worth eating

• Stayed June 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Super 8 Beckley? Share your experiences!