“Expensive and Smoky” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
sarnia, on
“Expensive and Smoky”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

Heading towards Pittsburgh from Asheville, NC, Beckley seemed the logical place to get a room at 9:00 p.m. on a Saturday night. My 14 year old daughter and I took an exit and happened to find this Super 8. When we approached the desk there was one man ahead of us who seemed to be having some trouble with his credit cards. When it was our turn we asked for a 2 bed NON-smoking room. I was quoted a price of $105.00 PLUS TAX. This seemed really expensive but I was tired of driving and as I looked around I noticed a line up behind me with more and more people squeezing in the door. It seemed like everyone was tired of traveling all at the same time.

I decided to stay and gave the clerk my credit card. I don't know the area and for all I knew this was the cheapest motel around. When we got to our room on the 3rd floor there was a heavy smell of smoke and an ashtray & matches on the nightstand. Obviously not a NON-smoking room! I could keep this room or wait in line behind all the crowds downstairs so I reluctantly kept it. Afterwards I checked the listed price for this motel on their own website and it was listed at $79.00 per night. Did they jack up the prices because there was a crowd???

The bedspread had multiple cigarette burns on it and when I tried to get to sleep I could smell smoke in the pillows. The air conditioner caused the wall behind the bed to vibrate when it kicked into high gear. This was not a motel that we dawdled in the next morning.

• Liked — the elevator to the 3rd floor
  • Disliked — trumped-up price
  • Stayed July 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Western NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2008

+ easy access from highway
+ room was available at reserved price
+ staff was helpful
- 1st room was unacceptable (TV was broken), 2nd was unacceptable (terrible smell); 3rd was OK
- motel is showing its age
- b'fast was not worth eating

• Stayed June 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Erie, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

we had 2 rooms for a quick night over in Beckley. The rooms were clean and the staff was very friendly. we went to the Omlet House across the street, but the Super 8 did have complimentary continental breakfast. we liked the fact that the rooms had a refrig and microwave. it was easy on/off to the interstate.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
pittsburgh, pa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

we were driving at night to visit some relatives in south carolina. we stopped in beckley to stay the night. super8 said all regular rooms were booked up and all they had left were jacuzi rooms for 109.00. we decided to get the jacuzi room. so we're checked in and lug up our things, along with our 3 yr. old son to our room and discover the room we just payed 109.00 for is jacuzi-less. my husband called the front desk a couple of times and nobody answered. he went down there to talk to the front desk lady about switching rooms and she says we can't because we already dirtied the room, even though we had only been in the room for less than 5 minutes. he explained to her how it was her fault she gave us the wrong room and she said we could move to another room with a jacuzi in it. so we got all our things and our son and went down a floor. Then, when we get in there, the water doesn't work. so we call the front desk again and tell the lady and she says to go to the front desk to get the key for another room. i went down there and there's a key sitting on the desk with nobody around. so then, we get all our stuff and our son and move down to another floor. the jacuzi water is working this time but, the toilet won't flush. we were all pretty tired of switching rooms by then so we just went to bed. i will never stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the front desk clerk
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ColumbusOH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2006

My husband and I were traveling through Beckley on our way to North Carolina. We booked this room because they allowed dogs and they had a smoking room available. I have stayed in many smoking rooms but this one was really bad. The smell about knocked us over when we entered the room. (as my husband said, "the smoke of 1,000 smokers is in this room"!) The room was on the 3rd floor (no air conditioning in the hall ways). The bathroom was not very clean and the carpet had many stains on it. Several light bulbs were out. We thought, oh well, it's late and we are just passing through -- we will stay. At 1:00 a.m. we woke up to a terrible screaching sound that was the window air conditioner and it had to be turned off. Pay a little more and stay somewhere better.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2004

can hear people walking in rooms above and in halls. Rooms too small for the price.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2004

The hotel was clean, but the room was overpriced. The "advertised" price on the door was $68.77, but the room (at AAA prices) was $109+ The explanation was "a change of management". Too much for a Super 8.

Been to Super 8 Beckley? Share your experiences!