“Bed bugs, sleeping assistant at the front desk... Wow.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead and Save 15%
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Corvallis, Oregon
“Bed bugs, sleeping assistant at the front desk... Wow.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I got there at a little past midnight. The lobby was dark, but the TV was going. There was no front desk assistant to be seen. As I walked around calling for someone to check me in (there was no bell or buzzer in sight), I heard a phone ring behind me in the lobby. There, on one of the couches, the front desk assistant was lying, FAST ASLEEP. He woke up and checked me into my room.
After I got unpacked and undressed for the shower, the phone rang. It was our friend at the front desk, informing me that he had checked me into the wrong room, and I needed to switch rooms right away. After a brief "conversation", I got dressed, packed up, and moved to the new room.
After several days, I realized my stay needed to be extended. I got back to the hotel late that night, and went into the lobby to speak to the assistant. As I expected, the lobby was dark, and the assistant was asleep on the couch again. When I woke him to extend my stay, he wouldn't even get up from lying on the couch to make the change on the computer. All he would say was, "Don't worry, man. I'll take care of you."
The next morning, I thought I would double-check to make sure that the extension had actually happened, so I went down to the lobby again. People were milling around, getting their breakfast, and the assistant was nowhere to be found. I leaned over the counter, and (no joke) there he was, lying on the floor, asleep. Unbelievable.
After the 5th night of staying in Room 206, I woke up around 4:30am to go to work. As I rolled over, I saw a reddish-brown bug crawling away from me... Having never seen a bed bug before, I squashed it and discovered that it was full of blood. MY blood. I looked it up on the internet, and sure enough, it was a bed bug. By quickly looking around the bottom corners of the box spring, I was able to easily locate at least a dozen bed bugs. Some of their dried carcasses were on the floor, along with small cookie chunks and other debris. Clearly, housekeeping must not include vacuuming in their normal routine.
Although I immediately transferred to another room on another floor, I had been bitten 65 times just on one arm. I'm sure there were more bed bugs that I didn't see, because the room was infested.
Would I stay here again? Not if I could possibly help it. If I had to, I would bring a plastic sheet to drape over the bed and sleep on top of that. With my clothes on.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Checked in September 14, woke at midnight and discovered the sheets and pillows were crawling with bugs. Freak out! The front desk helped me find another motel but acted like this was an isolated experience. That is not the case. Skip this place and don't bring the bugs back to contaminate YOUR home.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Madison WI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I've had good experiences with Super 8, so I stopped in Beckley on my way to visit family. The price charged me as a walk-in customer was completely outrageous: 42% more than rates available online! Do they think we don't check?

I was exhausted, so I accepted the ridiculous price, only to be placed in a room whose baseboards hadn't been swept in years. Carpets everywhere were tired, threadbare, and dirty. I was glad to leave the next morning, and I am now very leery of Super 8. This particular motel is NOT helping their brand.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hamler, Oh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

The clothes rack hangs over the desk. Our dripping wet rain suits made the desk unusable. There was no place to move the desk. THe air conditioner did not work properly. The breakfast was corn flakes or corn flakes. The chairs were so filthy you did not want to sit down and the entire area was a mess. The floor in the eating area was so gross. EWWWWWW

Room Tip: Just avoid Beckley -
Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Round Hill
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I saw the bedbugs after I pulled the sheets back but before I had gotten into bed (thank goodness!). Then I saw the cockroach crawling on the wall next to the headboard of the bed. I used the plastic bag in the ice bucket to collect the bugs and tied it closed. There was no way I was sleeping in that bed so I spent a wakeful couple of hours trying to sleep in the bath tub. I finally gave up and checked out around 4:30 a.m. after handing the bags of bugs to the night clerk. He asked why I hadn't called the desk, and I told him that I figured if there were bedbugs and cockroaches in one room, they were probably in all the rooms and that I spent the night trying to sleep in a cold hard bathtub with a towel as a blanket. He told me he'd knock off $20 from my bill. I've got an email in to the Super 8 headquarters asking for a full refund. Just keep on driving, don't stop here!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Ortonville, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

We were traveling from MI to NC and had to stop somewhere. We figured Super 8 wouldn't be bad because we have stayed with them before. WE WERE WRONG!!!! The room was dirty! The bathroom was unsanitary. There was a coffe maker in the room, but no coffee to make. Then we turned the bedspread down to go to sleep and there was someones DNA all over!!!!! It was 3 in the morning and we were so tired from driving that we grabbed our own blankets from our truck and slept on them, and covered up with them. I would rather sleep in the front seat of my truck than ever stay here again!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Check reviews and plan ahead!!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Found bedbugs in the room after feeling like I had been chewed on at 5am. I got outta there as fast as possible! The man at the desk told me that they recently had exterminators but they only guarantee for 2 days.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Been to Super 8 Beckley? Share your experiences!