“No complaints” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Beckley
Greater Toronto
“No complaints”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

We stayed for 1 night on our way south to Florida with our 4 kids. Just a typical motel, nothing to make the rating 'above average' but also nothing that I would consider a problem. It was clean and the staff were good.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

172 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2007

We used AAA to evaluate the property in Beckley and they said it was a 3 star location. We found the room to have been upgraded and it was more than adequate, but the overall facility was very old looking and nowhere near what a 3 star property should be.
There was no elevator and it was very difficult to get luggage up the narrow stairs. The stairs were very old looking and dimly lit.

The hallway on the second floor had new carpet, as did the rooms. The carpet was nice.

The breakfast area was SO SMALL that people could not get around each other to get food. There was minimal seating.

We got a rate over the internet of 63 dollars. The desk person made us feel guilty for not paying the "normal" weekend rate. It sounded like she was going to tell off the new girl that gave it to us over the phone.

Overall, I would rate this a 1 or maybe 2 star property. I would not stay here again, as there are better places in Beckley than this.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — accessibility
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

I stay in Beckley frequently but this was my first stay at HoJo. The facilities were clean but that's about it. The pool is tiny. Our room was at the back of the hotel. If you stay on the back end of the hotel I recommend letting the water run 15 to 20 minutes if you want I HOT shower. I didn't know that and settled for a cool shower. :( I got a room with a king bed and it wasn't nearly as nicely decorated as it is in the photos on this site. The smell that greeted me when I walked in the lobby was of Pine Sol - clean but uninviting. The first thing I saw when I walked in the lobby was the breakfast nook with the chairs piled upside down on the tables - 3:30 in the afternoon.
If you're just looking for someplace clean and inexpensive to sleep - this is the place for you in Beckley. If you're looking for a bit of warmth try someplace else.

• Liked — It was very clean and the girl at the front desk was friendly and knew her job.
  • Disliked — lack of "atmosphere"
  • Tips/Secrets — Run the water 15 minutes in order to get hot water for your shower or bath.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ashville, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

This was an impromptu stop. We were on our way to NC when my husband got sick mid route. So I quickly chose a place to stop for the day. This was around 11am so I was worried there wouldn't be a room available that early in the day. But the very nice clerk, Karen (I believe that was her name), had a ground floor, non -smoking, dbl beds room available and seemed genuinely concerned about our situiation and helped all she could.

By afternoon, and after a long nap, he was doing much better and by morning we were able to continue on to NC.

Our room was nice. Was clean enough (they missed the corners bad). Bed linen was clean and had no bugs.

I didn't realize they had a pool until I got home and see the other reviewers. Would of been too cold anyway.

They do have wireless internet and interior corridors. Several restaurants at this exit. A CVS is within site of this motel. From outside they looked alot cleaner and newer than the Comfort Inn next door which we considered but decided to go to HoJo due to how each place looked.

Breakfast was sort of disappointing. We had stayed at other HoJoX before and they had a larger variety including waffles. But at least at this location, my kids had a donut, OJ and some cereal and were fed so I am glad for that. It was better than nothing.

Would I stay here again? I probably would. Like I said, we were in a pinch and needed a room and they accommodated us. For that we are grateful.

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2006

We were a group that had came in for a weekend of skiing, before we left, we had a meeting, house keeping knew that we were in the meeting and that it would last a while. While they were waiting for us to leave they went into one of our rooms, stole money out of a pocketbook. they have safes in the rooms, now we know why, to protect us from house keeping. Did not discover it until we had left, contacted management and they did very little if anything to help. Needless to say we have never received the money back.

• Stayed February 2006
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2005

This hotel gave our family the creeps. It just looked and felt dirty and the beds felt dirty or had bugs or we don't really know. It was just not good. We felt gross staying at this hotel. That is the only way to describe it. The only reason they get 2 stars is my daughter forgot some clothes in a drawer and they mailed them to us. That was very nice of them. Breakfast and the pool were both a joke. The breakfast was gone in no time (we saw little children who had taken most everything running around with 6 and 7 doughnuts on their plates and everything else was stale) The pool was the funniest part about this hotel. It looked like they took two entries to a bigger pool (the stairs part) and joined them together. It was no kidding 8 feet long by 5 feet wide by 4 feet deep! Our family still has a laugh about it when we remember it. Its worth it just togo to Beckley to see the pool! NOT!

• Stayed August 2005
Sherwood
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2005

I found this location a very good value for the dollar. The staff was excellent and very helpful. The room was very clean. I had no objection that it had only showers. The breakfast was definitely above average. The pool was clean and a proper temprature. The room was also very quiet. It is in a very accessable location. It was in a good, safe part of town. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Beckley? Share your experiences!