“Good value for the money ... pool?” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Burlington, Ontario
“Good value for the money ... pool?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

We stopped here as a half-way point of our trip. We wanted to make sure the kids had a chance to get some energy out by swimming and we all wanted a good rest before continuing on the next day.
Pros: very friendly front desk staff, convenient location, quiet and clean room, reasonable breakfast for a continental style, reasonable price
Cons: ridiculously small pool - really not much bigger than a hot tub - the kids did splash around but we've truly never seen such a tiny, in-ground pool; all who came out to swim or just check out the pool were equally and obviously shocked

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

We originally had a reservation next door at the EconoLodge, when we got there and saw the condition of the property and room, we left and went next door to the Howard Johnson Express. The HJE was CLEAN and the desk clerk Sheila could not have been more helpful. Our room was spacious and very comfortable. We will stay at HJE in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Hamilton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Inside of room was clean. There were some broken tiles in bathroom, and the TV was so dark that it was hard to see. Lot of trash in the parking lot (empty beer case, coffee cups, general trash). Rear door entrance was not locked, allowing anyone to walk in. Fire door between first and second floor, which has a sign on it that it must remain closed--was propped open and I was unable to get the wedge out from under it to close it. Other than that, not bad.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Charleston, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

Two-night stay, and I didn't spend a lot of time on the premises based on my travel plans (not due to any flaw in the lodging).

Checked in & was directed toward an area, with instructions as to where to find my 2nd floor room. Didn't realize that the area was a staircase, but I figured I'd find the elevator on the way down, so hobbled up. There is no elevator. There was also no first floor room available once I realized this. I was unhappy, but the clerk kindly called later and offered me a first floor room based on a cancellation. It was a pet room, which raised risk of me sneezing all night, so I declined. But I am impressed that she followed up and attempted to remedy my situation, and also that pets are allowed only in designated rooms.

Partial power failure between 8:30 and 8:45 pm caused guests to visit a bit in the lobby, as lights and a/c were out in rooms (so see, I couldn't have used the elevator anyway, right?). Very quiet and pleasant interactions. This property is modestly priced for the area. This did not attract a rough or boisterous group, at least during my stay.

Finally I called power company for a time estimate on restoration of power. I was the first call. The Howard Johnson's and the neighboring EconoLodge (same management) were both partially out, emergency lighting and flickers only. My call was about 1 hour after outage. Power company had power back 45 minutes later. This feels like an area to improve, as everyone probably thought someone else had called. I informed clerk and she had apparently talked with power company about the same time. So she did place the call, but it should happen faster.

Room was clean and comfortable. Motel pillows are rarely as big and perfect as I'd like, but there were 4 of them and 1 of me, so not really a problem. Refrigerator, microwave, iron, coffee maker and hair dryer in room. Ice machine at bottom of stairs (a little ouch for me to go get ice for knee that was sore from stairs . . . but there IS ice). Washer and dryer at top of stairs, coin-op. Soft-drink machine in lobby was out-of-order. Status of neighboring snack machine unknown. Breakfast was available, but also offered at the program I attended, so I skipped it at motel, no advice there.

On check-out, was charged 1.50 per night for "room safe." Didn't use safe and questioned charge. The person at the desk could not manage to refund the charge. He posted it as a credit, but did not put it through the system, so it looked like it was refunded but the total did not change.

There are numerous restaurant options and a CVS pharmacy nearby, so amenities are available (like soft drinks!), outside the building, if not within.

Evening desk staff was pleasant. Morning staff couldn't manage to credit the room safe charge and used up my breakfast time trying (or pretending to try?).

My 1-5 rating seems high, given my comments, but for the categories available, this property met or exceeded the minimum in most areas.

Recommendations:
-If you cannot use stairs, get a commitment for a first floor room in advance
-Watch for "room safe" charges and make sure this is addressed to your satisfaction (or use the safe and don't worry about it!)
-Pricing was excellent, room was clean and comfortable. This is not a resort and you won't find a spa. But if you are passing through, or visiting the area for family or sightseeing, this would be acceptable. Don't expect this property to provide the entertainment, but they will provide lodging.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

I have to say I normally stay at higher end hotels but was traveling with family and this is what they chose. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the facility considering the price that was paid. It definitly didn't have al the "bells & whistles" of a higher end hotel but if you just need a CLEAN place to lay your head this is the place. Why spend a lot of money if all you are doing is sleeping? I would definitly return.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

worst hotel ever been. When we arrived there was lot of mess close to lobby lying there. The room was only available upstairs due to renovation. Uncleaned dirty room with smelly comforters and sheets. Dirty and full of stain wash room bath. No Tissue papers in the slot. Uncomfortable mattrasse and pillows. We checked in late only for sleep over and found only hand towels in the morning no bath towel. Come morning we rose with surprise as the breakfast was all garbage with special edition orange juice which was only yellowish concenterate 10% of the drink. We trash the donut my son picked and went to IHOP for healthy retreat after wasting our money on surprisingly worst HOWARD JOHNSON ever.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Stratford, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

While this was a relatively inexpensive hotel I still feel the need to complain after experiencing several other 'discount' hotels. The place was dingy - we had reserved a smoking room (that's right a smoker complaining!) and we got a non-smoking room (though I have no doubt it was previously smoked in). Sheets were pretty sad looking and well beyond their day! I suppose for one night it served its purpose and the general area was good - short walk to restaurants etc. but all in all would not stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Beckley? Share your experiences!