“Safety issues” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Beckley
Hamilton
“Safety issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2010

Inside of room was clean. There were some broken tiles in bathroom, and the TV was so dark that it was hard to see. Lot of trash in the parking lot (empty beer case, coffee cups, general trash). Rear door entrance was not locked, allowing anyone to walk in. Fire door between first and second floor, which has a sign on it that it must remain closed--was propped open and I was unable to get the wedge out from under it to close it. Other than that, not bad.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Charleston, WV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

Two-night stay, and I didn't spend a lot of time on the premises based on my travel plans (not due to any flaw in the lodging).

Checked in & was directed toward an area, with instructions as to where to find my 2nd floor room. Didn't realize that the area was a staircase, but I figured I'd find the elevator on the way down, so hobbled up. There is no elevator. There was also no first floor room available once I realized this. I was unhappy, but the clerk kindly called later and offered me a first floor room based on a cancellation. It was a pet room, which raised risk of me sneezing all night, so I declined. But I am impressed that she followed up and attempted to remedy my situation, and also that pets are allowed only in designated rooms.

Partial power failure between 8:30 and 8:45 pm caused guests to visit a bit in the lobby, as lights and a/c were out in rooms (so see, I couldn't have used the elevator anyway, right?). Very quiet and pleasant interactions. This property is modestly priced for the area. This did not attract a rough or boisterous group, at least during my stay.

Finally I called power company for a time estimate on restoration of power. I was the first call. The Howard Johnson's and the neighboring EconoLodge (same management) were both partially out, emergency lighting and flickers only. My call was about 1 hour after outage. Power company had power back 45 minutes later. This feels like an area to improve, as everyone probably thought someone else had called. I informed clerk and she had apparently talked with power company about the same time. So she did place the call, but it should happen faster.

Room was clean and comfortable. Motel pillows are rarely as big and perfect as I'd like, but there were 4 of them and 1 of me, so not really a problem. Refrigerator, microwave, iron, coffee maker and hair dryer in room. Ice machine at bottom of stairs (a little ouch for me to go get ice for knee that was sore from stairs . . . but there IS ice). Washer and dryer at top of stairs, coin-op. Soft-drink machine in lobby was out-of-order. Status of neighboring snack machine unknown. Breakfast was available, but also offered at the program I attended, so I skipped it at motel, no advice there.

On check-out, was charged 1.50 per night for "room safe." Didn't use safe and questioned charge. The person at the desk could not manage to refund the charge. He posted it as a credit, but did not put it through the system, so it looked like it was refunded but the total did not change.

There are numerous restaurant options and a CVS pharmacy nearby, so amenities are available (like soft drinks!), outside the building, if not within.

Evening desk staff was pleasant. Morning staff couldn't manage to credit the room safe charge and used up my breakfast time trying (or pretending to try?).

My 1-5 rating seems high, given my comments, but for the categories available, this property met or exceeded the minimum in most areas.

Recommendations:
-If you cannot use stairs, get a commitment for a first floor room in advance
-Watch for "room safe" charges and make sure this is addressed to your satisfaction (or use the safe and don't worry about it!)
-Pricing was excellent, room was clean and comfortable. This is not a resort and you won't find a spa. But if you are passing through, or visiting the area for family or sightseeing, this would be acceptable. Don't expect this property to provide the entertainment, but they will provide lodging.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

I have to say I normally stay at higher end hotels but was traveling with family and this is what they chose. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the facility considering the price that was paid. It definitly didn't have al the "bells & whistles" of a higher end hotel but if you just need a CLEAN place to lay your head this is the place. Why spend a lot of money if all you are doing is sleeping? I would definitly return.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

worst hotel ever been. When we arrived there was lot of mess close to lobby lying there. The room was only available upstairs due to renovation. Uncleaned dirty room with smelly comforters and sheets. Dirty and full of stain wash room bath. No Tissue papers in the slot. Uncomfortable mattrasse and pillows. We checked in late only for sleep over and found only hand towels in the morning no bath towel. Come morning we rose with surprise as the breakfast was all garbage with special edition orange juice which was only yellowish concenterate 10% of the drink. We trash the donut my son picked and went to IHOP for healthy retreat after wasting our money on surprisingly worst HOWARD JOHNSON ever.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Stratford, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

While this was a relatively inexpensive hotel I still feel the need to complain after experiencing several other 'discount' hotels. The place was dingy - we had reserved a smoking room (that's right a smoker complaining!) and we got a non-smoking room (though I have no doubt it was previously smoked in). Sheets were pretty sad looking and well beyond their day! I suppose for one night it served its purpose and the general area was good - short walk to restaurants etc. but all in all would not stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Charleston WV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

My husband and I booked a NON-SMOKING room and in most cases you can't tell. We went to bed about 11:30 p.m and the bedding SMELLED of SMOKE it was TERRIBLE the maids did not change the bedding that morning if they had done their job I am sure it would not have bother me. I called down to the desk and no one answered until I used my cell phone I told the guy @ the desk what was going on and he said well mama alls I left is 2 SMOKING rooms witch I can show you now I ask this WHY WOULD I GO FROM A SMOKING ROOM TO A SMOKING ROOM so my husband went down stairs to get some CLEAN bedding. When he got down there the guy @ the desk asked my husband do you have a king or queen bed my husband said king and the guy gave us sheets for a queen. It is now a week later I have tried to get in touch with the owner/gen. MGR for a week now only to be told that he is not there. I am telling you this if you want CLEAN Sheets on your bed DON'T STAY HERE @ this Howard Johnson Express Inn @ 1907 Harper Rd Beckley, WV pay the x-tra $$$$$$$ and stay where it is clean. In my opinion this hotel rates a -100%

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

No ice machine, no elevator although two floors so be prepared to lug your luggage. Room smelled.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Beckley? Share your experiences!