“You get what you pay for?” 2 of 5 stars

Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #12 of 15 hotels in Beckley
Stratford, Ontario
“You get what you pay for?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

While this was a relatively inexpensive hotel I still feel the need to complain after experiencing several other 'discount' hotels. The place was dingy - we had reserved a smoking room (that's right a smoker complaining!) and we got a non-smoking room (though I have no doubt it was previously smoked in). Sheets were pretty sad looking and well beyond their day! I suppose for one night it served its purpose and the general area was good - short walk to restaurants etc. but all in all would not stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

190 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Charleston WV
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

My husband and I booked a NON-SMOKING room and in most cases you can't tell. We went to bed about 11:30 p.m and the bedding SMELLED of SMOKE it was TERRIBLE the maids did not change the bedding that morning if they had done their job I am sure it would not have bother me. I called down to the desk and no one answered until I used my cell phone I told the guy @ the desk what was going on and he said well mama alls I left is 2 SMOKING rooms witch I can show you now I ask this WHY WOULD I GO FROM A SMOKING ROOM TO A SMOKING ROOM so my husband went down stairs to get some CLEAN bedding. When he got down there the guy @ the desk asked my husband do you have a king or queen bed my husband said king and the guy gave us sheets for a queen. It is now a week later I have tried to get in touch with the owner/gen. MGR for a week now only to be told that he is not there. I am telling you this if you want CLEAN Sheets on your bed DON'T STAY HERE @ this Howard Johnson Express Inn @ 1907 Harper Rd Beckley, WV pay the x-tra $$$$$$$ and stay where it is clean. In my opinion this hotel rates a -100%

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2007

No ice machine, no elevator although two floors so be prepared to lug your luggage. Room smelled.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
Greater Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

We stayed for 1 night on our way south to Florida with our 4 kids. Just a typical motel, nothing to make the rating 'above average' but also nothing that I would consider a problem. It was clean and the staff were good.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2007

We used AAA to evaluate the property in Beckley and they said it was a 3 star location. We found the room to have been upgraded and it was more than adequate, but the overall facility was very old looking and nowhere near what a 3 star property should be.
There was no elevator and it was very difficult to get luggage up the narrow stairs. The stairs were very old looking and dimly lit.

The hallway on the second floor had new carpet, as did the rooms. The carpet was nice.

The breakfast area was SO SMALL that people could not get around each other to get food. There was minimal seating.

We got a rate over the internet of 63 dollars. The desk person made us feel guilty for not paying the "normal" weekend rate. It sounded like she was going to tell off the new girl that gave it to us over the phone.

Overall, I would rate this a 1 or maybe 2 star property. I would not stay here again, as there are better places in Beckley than this.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — accessibility
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
WV
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2006

I stay in Beckley frequently but this was my first stay at HoJo. The facilities were clean but that's about it. The pool is tiny. Our room was at the back of the hotel. If you stay on the back end of the hotel I recommend letting the water run 15 to 20 minutes if you want I HOT shower. I didn't know that and settled for a cool shower. :( I got a room with a king bed and it wasn't nearly as nicely decorated as it is in the photos on this site. The smell that greeted me when I walked in the lobby was of Pine Sol - clean but uninviting. The first thing I saw when I walked in the lobby was the breakfast nook with the chairs piled upside down on the tables - 3:30 in the afternoon.
If you're just looking for someplace clean and inexpensive to sleep - this is the place for you in Beckley. If you're looking for a bit of warmth try someplace else.

• Liked — It was very clean and the girl at the front desk was friendly and knew her job.
  • Disliked — lack of "atmosphere"
  • Tips/Secrets — Run the water 15 minutes in order to get hot water for your shower or bath.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ashville, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2006

This was an impromptu stop. We were on our way to NC when my husband got sick mid route. So I quickly chose a place to stop for the day. This was around 11am so I was worried there wouldn't be a room available that early in the day. But the very nice clerk, Karen (I believe that was her name), had a ground floor, non -smoking, dbl beds room available and seemed genuinely concerned about our situiation and helped all she could.

By afternoon, and after a long nap, he was doing much better and by morning we were able to continue on to NC.

Our room was nice. Was clean enough (they missed the corners bad). Bed linen was clean and had no bugs.

I didn't realize they had a pool until I got home and see the other reviewers. Would of been too cold anyway.

They do have wireless internet and interior corridors. Several restaurants at this exit. A CVS is within site of this motel. From outside they looked alot cleaner and newer than the Comfort Inn next door which we considered but decided to go to HoJo due to how each place looked.

Breakfast was sort of disappointing. We had stayed at other HoJoX before and they had a larger variety including waffles. But at least at this location, my kids had a donut, OJ and some cereal and were fed so I am glad for that. It was better than nothing.

Would I stay here again? I probably would. Like I said, we were in a pinch and needed a room and they accommodated us. For that we are grateful.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Beckley? Share your experiences!