“It's Fine.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“It's Fine.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Let's face it, if you are staying at the Howard Johnson in Beckley, you're almost certainly stopping on your way to somewhere else. For that purpose, it's fine. I didn't notice anything unusually disgusting, the air conditioning worked, and there were clean sheets, towels and a shower.

What was a little gross was our carpet was moist. It's one of those old school red floral carpets so it's anyone's guess what the moisture was. As others mentioned, even in non-smoking rooms there is a smell. Perhaps the carpets were cleaned recently and that explains both the moisture and smell?

The rooms are far from sound proof and if someone is in the next room you will hear literally every word they say, so this is not a great hotel for trading industrial secrets or espionage. You also hear everyone in the hallway, so it's semi-difficult to go to bed until everyone checks in. Do everyone else a favor when walking down the hall, and don't start telling your funniest jokes or tell your kids to scream or anything.

Check in was fast, in fact they didn't even ask for IDs or credit cards, we just got our key and went to our room!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Beckley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

Excellent Stay..Staff was super nice. Do this trip twice a year and never stayed here but will be my motel from now on.......

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Manish P, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Beckley, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Thank for choosing Howard Johnson for your impromptu stay in Beckley, WV. We appreciate you choosing us and hope you will return on your way back from North Carolina. We are happy we could meet your expectations.
Powell, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I recently stayed at this Howard Johnson Express in Beckley, WV and was pleasantly surprised and delighted with my stay. The staff at the front desk was friendly and helpful and the room was clean and comfortable. This was an unplanned stay as I had intended to drive straight thru to my destination in North Carolina. However the weather was bad so I decided to make an impromptu stop in Beckley. I went to 2 hotels checking prices (Comfort Inn and Baymont I believe) and they both quoted prices that were over $100 for the night. Howard Johnson Express was a reasonable $69 for the night so I decided this was the place to stay. I'm glad I did. Great stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your impromptu stay with us here in Beckley WV. We appreciate you staying with us and are glad we could offer you an affordable room for your stay. Please consider coming back and staying with us on your way back from North Carolina.
Cherryville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed here a few years ago, so when we came to town tonight, we stopped again. We are very pleased with the room - nice and clean. Nice furniture and updated spreads. Wide screen tv was a nice addition - and the tv lineup included HBO, which we don't find too often. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The pool is very small, but if you arrive on a hot day and just want to cool off, then it would work. If you want to swim laps, this isn't the place for that. We haven't had breakfast yet, but I am sure it is typical of most hotels. I rarely eat anything for breakfast anyway, so that isn't a deal breaker for me. The bathroom is clean and well appointed, with nice towels. Would definitely stay here again if we are in the area. There aren't too many restaurant options on this road, but it isn't far to the shopping/mall area, where you can find anything you would want to eat. The hotel is close to the interstate, but in a much quieter area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the wonderful comments about our property on your return stay with us at Howard Johnson Express Inn in Beckley, WV. We are glad that you decided to choose again and glad that our recent updates to our rooms were satisfactory. As for our pool, it is small, but was built at the time of construction of the property with limited space and was a requirement for construction. We are glad we could offer you a clean and affordable stay and hope to keep improving our guest facilities to offer future guests the same type of accommodation. Hope to see you again.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

It appears to me that too many negative reviews show up on Tripadvisor. The problem: reviews skew to the negative because people with issues about their stay get revenge by going online and dissing the hotel. Travelers who are happy are not so motivated.

I write this because this Howard Johnsons had so many bad reviews when I was booking that I was reluctant to book. Other similar hotels also had many bad reviews. So I had to book something.

Anyway, this was a very good hotel and I'd recommend it. Room was great as was the staff. Breakfast was what I was expecting and it was fine.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you greatly for the kind words of our property, the Howard Johnson Express Inn of Beckley, WV. We appreciate you for choosing our property and not letting negative reviews skew your judgement for staying with us here. The staff here tries to provide the friendliest service with clean and affordable accommodations. We agree providing responses to guest reviews helps weed out bad reviews due to guest issues or guest's revenge on the property and are making a more effort to address each situation. Thank you for looking beyond the reviews and we hope to have you stay with us again.

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Beckley? Share your experiences!