“Reserved Room with King Bed unavailable for Pets” 3 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1907 Harper Road, Beckley, WV 25801   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Beckley
Port
“Reserved Room with King Bed unavailable for Pets”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I reserved a room with King bed via BringFido.com, notifying the hotel that I was bringing a pet and would therefore pay the pet fee. On arrival, I was told that King bed rooms were not available for pets. Desk clerk claimed no knowledge of my reservation details, as the reservation was made via a third party.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Buffalo, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

Within 5 minutes of being in the room, our son's white sports socks with caked with dirt and BLACK on the bottoms. I can't even get them back to being white in the wash without bleaching them. How disgusting! I laid the comforters on the floor so that we would only walk on those instead of the carpet. The linens did not smell fresh nor did our limp pillows. I also felt very itchy while trying to fall asleep.....bed bugs?? The bathroom sink was nice (faux granite), but the tub and toilet were not cleaned prior to our arrival. I know this because there were pee stains under the rim of the toilet and circular rings on the shower ledges from someone else's shampoo or body wash spillage. We are nonsmokers yet, were put directly across from the smoking rooms....where a huge family of smokers were smoking with their doors open visiting each other. The security of the place is terrible....the back door was propped open with a stone overnight. Wish I would have known so I could have moved it, but discovered it early morning as we checked out before 7am.

Only stay at this hotel is it is absolutely necessary. I never wanted to leave a hotel more in my life. We wasted 107 dollars on that stay. Terrible.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stayed overnight on our way to North Carolina and the room was disgusting. The room stunk, the front of all the dresser drawers were falling apart, the remote didn't work, cigarette burns on the bedspread, hole in the wall, and the side security entrance door was broken and the door was propped open the next morning. The place was overpriced and I would never stay there or recommend anyone stay there.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Barrie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

staff was friendly - hotel was clean - rooms were spacious - breakfast was good - enjoyed stay

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
dundas ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

We stayed at this hotel one night on our journey south, whilst we have stayed there twice in the past and found things quite O.K. This visit was a totally different experience. The reception staff were extremely friendly and efficient but the reception itself was really very unkempt. The bedroom looked o.k. and the bed looked clean but the bathroom vanity was quite dirty. The free continental breakfast left a lot to be desired and the area wasn't very clean. We would never stay there again and certainly would not recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

This was my first stay at a Howard Johnson's. I decided to stay here due to an affordable rate they had in a hotel/motel coupon book that I picked up at a rest area. The front desk staff was very nice and friendly, and I was especially impressed with the size of the room, it was huge!! My room was very well decorated, clean, and quiet. The bed was extremely comfortable. There was a micro-fridge, coffee maker, iron and ironing board in the room. I liked the motel's location since it was near restaurants, gas stations, and the interstate, and I felt safe. I will stay here again if I'm passing through the area.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Burlington, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

We stopped here as a half-way point of our trip. We wanted to make sure the kids had a chance to get some energy out by swimming and we all wanted a good rest before continuing on the next day.
Pros: very friendly front desk staff, convenient location, quiet and clean room, reasonable breakfast for a continental style, reasonable price
Cons: ridiculously small pool - really not much bigger than a hot tub - the kids did splash around but we've truly never seen such a tiny, in-ground pool; all who came out to swim or just check out the pool were equally and obviously shocked

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family