“The decor is better than the service” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Barboursville
Defiance, Ohio
“The decor is better than the service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

We booked our room but were told that we would have to leave 2 days prior to our actual required date...that we would have to find another hotel the last 2 days because they were sold out. I double checked when we confirmed the reservation the day of arrival and was told that there were no rooms for our last 2 nights in town.

Upon arriving (after getting lost as a result of the completely inaccurate google maps directions), we were greeted by the ONLY competent desk staff member (Mary). When we asked if there were rooms available for the last 2 days she checked and immediately said yes and changed our reservation dates. Inexplicable but we were delighted.

All went okay for the first 2 nights. Until our keys quit working. We have become very intimate with the creaky, slow elevator as we traverse 3-4 times a day from the 5th floor to the lobby to get new keys. The delightful maintenance person changed the batteries in our door. Still the keys don't work. We get a new set that works for ONE day. The front desk clerk seemed annoyed and was rude when I went for replacements. She rudely stated that "One of these has been deactivated and the other was only set for one day. Did you extend your stay?". This is the same person that MADE the keys the previous day. I am hopeful that after 3 elevator trips for keys today, they will work tomorrow too.

The cleanliness is average at best. The beds are sloppily made, but comfortable. This afternoon we came in to find some of our pillows piled up on the air conditioner. The towels are inadequate...I keep requesting extras and receive them (after a trip to the lobby) and am told that the cleaning staff will replace the towels they take so we don't have to keep coming downstairs for more. They randomly replace some but not all the towels. Sometimes they replace the soap...sometimes they replace the shampoo...some days no.

The "Continental Breakfast" is the smallest continental breakfast I've seen. Muffins, danishes (all very gooey and sweet) and poor quality fruit.

The water pressure is poor.
The water tastes awful and therefor so does the coffee.

The walls are thin and I can hear the neighbors as well as the children running up and down the hall screaming at 7:30 in the morning...and we are in the far corner.

The internet connection sucks. Sometimes it works. It does not work on iPad or the iPhone on the 5th floor but does on the 3rd floor. Technical support is not particularly supportive.

On the bright side, they have a fantastic fitness center.

I would stay here again only if the Town Place Suites down the road is unavailable...it's not as bad as the Best Western, the decor is pretty, just don't expect service unless you encounter Mary or the Maintenance man.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Overall not a bad place. One problem I had and I didnt hold it against the hotel was google maps took me somewhere crazy so make sure you have the right directions.

Checkin
I got in late and had no problems.

Rooms
Nice size.

Bed
It was fine.

This is a short review but I was only at the hotel for 9 hours before I left in the morning.

Everything was fine and I'd be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Indianapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2009

Not exactly a four-star motel, but definitely rates four stars for the area -- the nicest motel I have stayed at in the Huntington-Barboursville area. Clean, quiet, relatively well-located (it's right next to the mall, which some may find convenient). There is a charge for breakfast, and the heating unit in the room is not the most efficient I have seen, but overall the motel is quite nice.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

The Holiday Inn in Barbourville WV was a convenient location for a recent family trip, and we found a pretty good deal on it, so we booked it. The room was large, clean, and smelled REALLY good.

Pros: Large room with living area, LARGE fridge, microwave and television, large (WARM) indoor pool. Big flat screen tv with cable.

Cons: The pillows were plentiful but cheap. We were happy to have brought our own pillows.

Their wireless internet had issues. We've been all across the country in the last 3 weeks, and used wireless internet at multiple hotels with no issues, but it did not work at this hotel. The tech support number they provided us was unable to resolve the issue. Fortunately, the front desk had a cable they let us borrow,

The trash pails were inadequate, Two very tiny trash bins filled up after a couple of large coffees,

They only gave us 5 hangers in the closet. REALLY? For a family of four for FOUR days??? We needed closer to 15,

The mattresses were way too soft and gave my husband and I backaches after the first night,

The bathrooms are small, but the bathroom door is HUGE, and swings inward. It blocks the entire bathroom off unless you step in and shut the door, not always the ideal situation when travelling with two small children.

There was mildew in the caulk line of the tub, the only sign we had that the rooms might need a little better cleaning every now and then. I found this gross, and it shouldn't really be an issue in such a new hotel,

Water pressure is poor

No free breakfast. My family of 4 LOVES free breakfast. It's surprising that some lower priced hotels offer this, but not the Holiday Inn!

And finally, a pleasant surprise (for us anyway): The pool was HOT. Not warm, it was HOT. I think they had the settings for the pool and the hot tub mixed up, but my kids LOVED that pool!!!

Overall, it was a lovely hotel, but for a longer stay the minor gripes became bigger annoyances,

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
west virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Wonderful service, clean rooms, love the TV, comfy beds and it was quiet. front desk staff was wonderful and helpful, the fitness center was unbelievable and so was the indoor pool and jacuzzi. This hotel is great for business travelers (free wireless internet service throughout hotel) or leisure travelers passing through.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Herndon, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Upon arriving at the HI in Barboursville we were informed that our room was damaged and they could put us in a smoking room. We told them that it would not be acceptable because a member of my party has asthma and the girl behind the counter insisted that we check. We checked and the smell of smoke was overwhelming (and 1/2 of my family used to smoke). They failed to communicate this to us when we called 4 hours earlier (around 2PM) to let them know we would be there but it would be around 6PM.

We went back down and the girl informed us that there was nothing further she could do because the hotel was full. I called HI customer service and they told me to ask the girl to "walk" us. After some hemming and hawing and a call from the Holiday Inn customer service line the girl walked us to a more expensive, but lower quality, hotel. She did offer some alternatives about 1 hour away in Charleston, WV and Ashland, KY but those were not acceptable. HI customer service told us the room was covered and it most definitely was not when we arrived at the Ramada. A few calls to customer service straightened that out. Additionally we were told that we had to come back to the hotel the next day because the walk was for 1 night and our room might be ready. We did and that is when it really got bad.

The next day we went back and the representative was not only rude but was flat out beligerent. He told us that we had 1 night reserved and didn't have a second. ...so I called HI customer service. The HI customer service agent had read the notes where the previous reservation showed 2 nights and we were walked the first. While on hold the desk agent implied that we did not have a reservation and said "I can get you a phonebook..." Seriously, dude, not good customer service.

About the time that I start conveying this the not-so-nice man behind the counter starts raising his voice at my wife saying "Ma'am, you are a LIAR, you only had 1 night reserved!" By this time the customer service agent was on the line and this outlash against my wife was, of course, was overheard by the customer service department. They asked did he say what I think he said. It was also, unfortunately, overheard by one very teed-off husband who promptly elevated his voice and "You will NOT call my wife a liar!" I suggested at that point we leave and never deal with HI again and asked customer service to hold while we walked out. During this time his manager called in because HI customer service called him and by that time we were on our way out the door. ...and the guy behind the counter had the gall to say "Oh mi gah!, I totally just got yelled at!", like a 13-year-old child would say, as we were walking out.

Fortunately the HI customer service rep heard the whole conversation and it was documented on their end. Holiday Inns corporate reimbursed us for the 1st night we were walked but would not do so for the 2nd night. Hampton Inn and Marriott (Fairfield suites) have walked me before and covered the whole trip to another hotel because they were full.

This was, by far, the worst customer service I had at any hotel; I spend about 2/3 the year travelling staying in hotels away from home. It will also be the last time that I stay at any Holiday Inn.

FYI for anyone with kids...
This hotel is located adjacent to a *ahem* gentleman's club. When the hotel was built on the hill the adjacent properties were not purchased. One of those is a former steakhouse turned gentleman's club. The other is a small dental office.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Berlin, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

Stayed 4 nights for a conference. Hotel was nicer than I thought-although I knew it was brand new. Swank decor in rooms-we had a king bed, LCD flatscreen TV, leather couch, wireless internet. Bathroom has granite countertop and tile floor. You'll like the shower head-felt good after a long day. Used the pool every day, but on two days there weren't any pool towels. First time, staff brought out bath mats to use because towels were drying they said. Second night, towels came within a hour of asking. Jacuzzi needed about another foot of water to be comfortable. The breakfast buffet was "OK". It was AUCE, but I don't think it was worth $9. We are priority members, so ours were half price. Did that only one day, the rest of the time we snagged fruit and danish from the free breakfast. FYI-There's and IHOP Bob Evans and Cracker Barrell just down the street. Bartender was kind enough to let us take wine glasses back to our rooms so we could use our own wine that we bought from the liquor store across the street. Over all we had a good time. Location was convenient to I64 and Rt 60.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Barboursville? Share your experiences!