“This was our all time best get-away ever!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cherry Wood Bed Breakfast and Barn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Zillah
Cherry Wood Bed Breakfast and Barn
You added Cherry Wood Bed Breakfast and Barn to your Saves list
3271 Roza Drive, Zillah, WA 98953   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Zillah B&B and Inns
Snohomish, Washington, United States
“This was our all time best get-away ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

....and we used to live in the Cayman Islands! We loved the rescued horses, the teepees, the breakfast and lunch. Everything was top notch and perfect. We found Pepper and her husband to be friendly and kind. This was a wonderful, wonderful experience for us. If you like shopping on 5th Avenue, this is not your kind of place. If you like real people and a beautiful western experience, you will never forget it. PS. There is one horrible review below. I heard second hand that a certain person screamed at the winery owners and hit a horse and had to be driven home because of her dangerous behavior - just saying.......

Room Tip: Lone star teepee if you want privacy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Poway, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I talked with owner, Pepper on the phone prior to my visit over Labor Day 2012. I explained I had riden awhile ago and I might need a little help getting on the horse. Pepper explained all riders needed to be able to get on the horse, but there were ditches or structures available so the rider would be able to get on the horse easily. I explained if this was a problem I would not want to schedule a guided horseback winery ride. Pepper assured me this would be no problem so I scheduled a horseback winery tour and overnight stay in the teepees.
Arriving early for the adveertised unique way to tour local wineries, Pepper suggested wearing a helmet and I was given a bicycle helpmet to wear for the horseback ride. I had no trouble getting on the first horse(she provided a little wood block). Pepper prides herself in taking in horses about to be slaughtered so she thinks she is doing a service for the animals, but what about the paying customers at $226.60 per person. My first horse was so crippled and slow he couldn't keep up with the others. A trail hand kept telling me to kick and hit the poor animal to make him keep up with the rest. I love animals, so I just couldn't do this. We finally made it to the first winery. After a quick stop, we got ready to go to the next winery. I discovered Pepper had changed horses on me and had given me a much taller horse, but I was able to get up on the horse with a little boost from the trail hands.(This horse, I later learned from Pepper's husband had actually fallen and went down on his front knees on the return trip.) Is this a safe animal for paying customers to ride? At the second winery we were served, supposedly from Pepper, a groumet lunch purchased from a chief at a local restaurant. The "box lunch" consisted of pasta and chicken a cookie and 5 blackberries in a little container. The lunch was not refrigerated and sitting in the sun(don't you think chicken and mayo dressing needs refrigeration?) I had a problem getting on the horse to continue my ride to the 3rd winery. Although there was steps at the entrance to the winery, Pepper refused to let me use them to get on the horse. Pepper ridiculed and insulted me in front of all the other riders and told me to ride back to the ranch in her husband's car. I explained I did not get the full value for the promised unique way to tour local wineries by horseback and I should be charged 2/3 of the price. Her husband stated that if I wanted, I could walk back to the ranch. If I wanted to be riddiculed, insulted and cheated out of what I was promised, I certainly wouldn't have gone on the Horseback Winery Tour. Now comes the teepee overnight stay at the Lone Star Teepee. Neither Pepper nor her husband checked to see if I needed anything for overnight. I was literally dumped out of the car after the horseback ride as so much garbage. I planned on cooking over the outdoor grill that was advertised on the website. The grill consisted of a very tiny whole left in one of the walls around the teepee. There was another freestanding stove used for heat to ward off the cool breezes. The wood available and left at the teepee wouldn't fit into the small grill for cooking. Therefore, I had to find small sticks and small pieces of wood to start the fire.(There was newspaper inside the teepee, but it was wet and wouldn't start a fire). I found small pieces of wood and kindling in a rat, spider infested bin outside the horse area. I was able to find enough wood to cook my meal and keep warm, but it was not easy. I expected a "port a potty", which we had, but I honestly do not know when it was cleaned. It smelled and had a large amount of solid waste at the bottom. The shower was over by Pepper's home and I had quite a walk to get there. The website made it look romantic(shower under the stars, spa soaps and lotion). Well, the shower I used smelled of mold and mildew and was very unclean. No fancy soaps or lotion where I was. This night stay in the teepee was $242.78. What a rip-off! In the morning, the breakfast was good, but I had such a terrible experience that I threw up just outside the patio area, so I didn't even enjoy the nice breakfast. When I was ready to leave, I went in to pay my bill.(They only take check or cash). I had made out the check for the total-horseback ride and teepee stay prior to the visit because I expected a fun time with all the promises they advertised on the website. I also brought along another check, just in case. I presented the check for 2/3 of the horseback ride and the entire amount for the teepee. Pepper's husband refused the lesser check-said there was no discounts. He also stated he never wanted me to come back to the Cherry Wood Bed and Breakfast and Barn and neither did he want any of my friends or relatives! Just what did I do to cause this animosity? If she really didn't want me to ride, why didn't she just say so and I would not have come. I feel she just wanted my money and didn't deliver on any of her promises made over the phone or on the website.
My recommendation-Stay Away!

Room Tip: nothing is good about this place. stay away. It is very expensive and Pepper and her husband are Not...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My husband and I immensely enjoyed our one-night stay at CherryWood and the horseback riding wine tour that we purchased with it. The proprietor, Pepper, is an amazing woman who has a passion for horses. Her entire operation revolves around supporting her rescue horses or otherwise she just wouldn't do it.

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting her babies, the horses. There are 30 in total at the time that we visited and they range from pony to horse to mule. Each has a name, story and personality. They can really charm your hearts.

Loved our tee-pee for the night. Made use of the refrigerator, the grill, and a fire pit. Was blown away at breakfast time with a beautiful flower strewn table with ice water, orange juice and coffee already on the table. The freshly made, still warm danish was to die for and the rest of the meal filled my tank until well into the afternoon.

It was a lovely trip and a great way to spend our first anniversary!! I am recommending the experience to all of our friends.

Room Tip: Thoroughly enjoyed the privacy of the Lonestar teepee.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
kirkland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is my second visit to Cherrywood. The B&B is nestled among vineyards and orchards. The teepees are a delight..spacious, with a comfortable bed, a fan, a small refrigerator appointed with supplies for s'mores around the campfire. We lay in the soaking tubs surrounded by candles, the moon, and stars. This is a working ranch and most of their horses are rescues....extra stars for that! Coffee is on at 7 and breakfast is at 9. The tables are outside, covered in linens and beautifully set. The meals was delicious and abundant from start to finish. The offer wine tasting by horseback for an additional fee. It is unique! A quick get away from the city, Cherrywood is tranquil, unique, and a lot of fun. The hosts are gracious and so kind and friendly. I will definitely o back.

Room Tip: Each teepee is decorated differently and they are all nice
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
HMB,CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Let me begin by saying this is not for everyone. If you enjoy waking up at the Mariott/Doubletree/Hyatt/Hilton and not being exactly sure where you are, because they are all the same and you know what to expect...then you may not enjoy this. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a break from the ordinary, where you step out of your TeepEee directly into fresh air and beautiful views of cherry orchards, distant mountains and valleys and some vineyards....where you are a guest and yet also an individual. where your sleep might briefly get disturbed once by a mustang-in-training (as opposed to a hotel room party or guests coming up the elevator, for example), you enjoy the open-air baths and showers (yes privacy is secured)then this could be the place for you! It is a working ranch and farm, the family is INCREDIBLY hoospitable, even recently in the face of some weather that risked damaging their very valuable crops they kept a chipper face on it.

The breakfast was wonderful, lunch salad during the wine ride delectable, the horse ride fantastic and I found they flexed when no one else showed up, I had an individual ride! BTW- the coffee was fantasic- I have no idea what the other reviewer could have meant unless they prefer McDonalds or something. Rich, deep, hot and delicious and out and ready by 7am every morning rain or shine!

Beautiful views over the valley, firepits stocked with wood, everythng super clean and wonderful.

And so what if you need to call or email your reservation (another complaint I saw)? Again, something only those who seek vanilla anonymity and lack of human connection might want- you get out what you put into life... is it SO hard to make a call or send an email? Then, please do stay at the Marriott so I can stay here....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

This B&B is so amazing and unique! There are 6 teepees to choose from, all very nicely appointed and very comfortable! The beds even have heated blankets. The outdoor soaking tubs are delightful and the various bath salts to choose from smelled delicious!

The multi-course breakfast was very gourmet and the hosts were thoughtful and gracious. This place is sort of like camping, but very posh! Our group brought all the fixin's for lunch and dinner and used the BBQs and fire pits to cook our food. There are also horse shoe pits near the teepees.

This is one of the nicest places that Eastern WA has to offer! I highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We booked this over 3 months ago, and as many other reviewers have mentioned, the booking was all informal and over email, with no official security deposit, etc. When we arrived the hostess said our reservation was actually for the night before. It took a while to finally get her to view the original email thread and admit she had scheduled us wrong. She kept insisting that in 11 years of hosting, she had never once made a mistake, but I get the impression she will go back to saying that again to people the very next day, pretending our incident never happened. When she finally realized she had double-booked our tee-pee, she wasn't very apologetic, even tho at this point she'd spent considerable time acting like she didn't believe us and we were stupid, and also seemed to just want to give the room to the other person even tho we were the first to arrive! I suspect this is just because the other person had booked two nights so in her mind he was more important. In any case, as ridiculously frustrating as it was to drive 3 hours from Seattle for this special evening which was ruined, if she had just apologized and offered us a free stay on a different night then I'd be waiting to write a potentially much better review about the place itself, but as it is I think our experience warrants a 1 star review.

The hostess seemed pretty oblivious and in a state of self-denial about having done anything wrong, and obviously her email and scheduling skills are poor. I agree with debmykar's review when stated, "Overall we got the impression that the owner does not really check on things and is riding on the impression that her place is awesome- but it really is more like the idea is great but without a skilled host it does not get there and would benefit from a professional hand to smooth the very rough edges.". Sounds like exactly the impression we got.

If you're still going to go here anyway, my biggest advice would be to double-check with Pepper, the hostess, to ENSURE that she has booked you on the right day. If you get the right day, and the weather is nice, you'll probably still be fine.

Room Tip: Double-confirm your reservation because it may be lost with their extremely informal booking style.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Cherry Wood Bed Breakfast and Barn? Share your experiences!