“Great place to stay in Yakima” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Advance Purchase
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Anchorage, Alaska
“Great place to stay in Yakima”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Clean, quiet, large room. Comfortable bed, friendly, helpful staff. Especially appreciated free secure parking garage. Close to downtown dining and downtown businesses. More upscale feel than you would expect.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
lisa_vallejo, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Yakima, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your last stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn Yakima. I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the rooms and friendliness of the staff. I agree that our location is convenient being downtown close to restaurants and businesses. There is so much to do within walking distance. I hope that we will get the opportunity to have you as our guest again when visiting the area. Thank you again for your great review.

Lisa Vallejo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Hilton Garden is a smallish full service hotel. Modern, spacious rooms, friendly staff. Rooms come with microwave, frig, coffeemaker. Nice lobby with inviting couches around gas fireplace. Dinning room nothing special off of lobby --- but does have a full bar. A short walk through historic Yakima downtown to a number of restaurants --- casual sports bar, a couple Mexican places, one or two white table cloth options and a few chain restaurants. Decent espresso bar across the street for those who care about that!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
What a great review of our hotel! I appreciate your time in sharing your experience. We are definitely the "Palm Springs of Washington" and I wouldn't trade our over 300 days of sunshine for anything. I am so excited that you mentioned our wonderful staff because they are our true asset of our hotel!
We do have so much to offer within walking distance so it was nice to hear that you were able to enjoy the area. Thank you for sharing your experience! We hope to have you back again soon!

Warm Regards,

Simi Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

After traveling most of the day we were happy to arrive at the Hilton Garden Inn. The hotel is in the middle of town and there is a parking lot for the hotel guests. There is also underground parking which is where we parked. Check in was quick and while checking in I asked what we could do for a few hours. The gal told us the Washington State Fair was going on and it was just down the road. Wow, that was a perfect suggestion for us! We went to our room to drop off the luggage and when we walked in the room was quite large and the bathroom was a perfect size too. We headed to fair and really had a nice time. Quite different than what we are used to in our home town.
We had a good nights sleep in the comfy bed after the evening at the fair. In the morning we went down stairs to enjoy breakfast before heading out for our day of hiking at Mt Rainier NP. Breakfast is not included in the price of your room and is extra. ( I really enjoy hotels that include the breakfast in your stay. ) A cook will make your eggs any way you like them cooked too. There was also a large selection of breakfast items you can pick from on the buffet. Before we left from our breakfast , I asked our waitress about where we could pick up a couple of sandwhiches for the day as we were planning on hiking. She told us of a market up the road but asked if we would like the chef to make some fresh turkey sandwhiches to go. We told her that would be wonderful and he made them just the way we liked at a very reasonably price.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

For those who want the quick single paragraph review:

Overall, I'd summarize this HGI by saying it's a decent property/location with substandard service and business facilities. I don't believe in giving 1/5 because a hotel screwed one thing up like some other reviews; I feel a 3/5 rating is about the best description one can give when you boil everything down to a single number.

Now, more detail. I can't imagine anyone giving this hotel 5/5. There are some great things about this hotel and some not-so-great things...let's start with the positives.

This is your standard Hilton Garden Inn layout. For those who frequently stay in HGIs, you will feel the same in this one that you do in most others. For those who don't, this basically means it's a clean property offering standard hotel amenities. Think Hampton Inn with a restaurant in the lobby.

Built in 2006, it is a newer property, which means it is in good shape and clean. We noticed minimal noise from the room and slept great. Breakfast in the mornings is $12.95 and offers fruit, omelettes, waffles, bacon, sausage, bagels, pastries, etc. It is convenient to have a restaurant right in the hotel, but like most HGIs, it's just average. This means slightly worse than Denny's. Lunch/dinner is the same...you eat in this restaurant for convenience, that's it.

The pool and jacuzzi are in one room right next to the fitness center (there is a glass wall between the two) and it was clean, but on the smaller side. Fitness offered your standard cardio machines and minimal weights.

The hotel is on the main street (Yakima) and it's easy to walk to a variety of decent restaurants. We recommend a French place called Carousel down the road to the west a few blocks - great place for a romantic evening or a dinner out with friends/family. If you're looking for something more casual, give 2nd Street Bistro a try.

Now, there are two things about this hotel that need improvement. The first is general customer service. We had to go to the front desk on four occasions during our stay for things like check in, getting change, asking questions about the area, etc. Every time there was a line and one person working behind the desk handling all in-person customers and phone calls. Check in took ~10 minutes and each subsequent wait in line was between 5-10 minutes. There is really no excuse to have a line when there are other employees sitting behind a door immediately to the right of the front desk. The employees do *not* give you the impression that you are a valued guest; rather, they are there to make sure you get checked in and checked out.

The second negative is the internet connection speed. If you are considering this hotel for business stop right now and book somewhere else. The internet is incredibly slow and you *will* have frequent disconnects as the system is overloaded. If you want to use the internet around 1pm or 1am when no one else is online, the speed is fine...otherwise, it is unusable. If you add a VPN into the mix for corporate connections, you can be assured it *is* unusable.

5th floor is top floor, pool/restaurant are on ground floor, meeting rooms on 2nd floor and ground floor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Fast check in and very friendly front desk staff. Comfortable and clean room. Updated and reasonable staff. Nice breakfast and friendly service. Would stay there again. Located in downtown Yakima. Within walking distance to all locations I needed.

• Stayed September 2012
Walla Walla, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

There is no other way to describe this hotel. It is a wonderful hotel in a very bad part of town. There is a locked underground garage to secure your vehicle and you can only access it with a room key. The inside of the hotel is delightfully appointed. The staff are average. The garage elevator goes only to the 2nd floor and my room was on the 3rd floor, and I kept getting lost on the 2nd floor trying to find the other elevator. There are no signs directing anyone to the elevators, only to the room numbers? Anyhow I asked twice if the front desk could give me a map to navigate the hotel and I was told simply to get off the elevator at the first floor. Also, at check in I requested a quiet room. The area was experiencing a sports event and I asked if there were a bunch of kids and was told there was not. Apparently all the kids were in the room above mine because at 10pm there was madness in the room above me. Jumping off the beds and running around. I tolerated it hoping it would stop from 9-10 when I finally called and asked them to place me somewhere else. Once I got into my new room I was fine, but who likes having to change rooms in their pajamas? Not to mention I only stayed there so I would be well rested for my exam at 8am and when I awoke, my eyes were blood shot and I felt like my back was in knots. I did try the breakfast buffet - a bit pricey but I didnt have time to go deal with finding a restaurant. If you drive a block in any direction from this hotel please lock your doors if you know what I mean.

Room Tip: Rooms around 18-20 overlook the outside parking lot which can be a problem if you need quiet, especi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

Whislt you expect a certain standard from the hotel you are never quite sure but our night in Yakima was great. The staff were very professional, helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean, comfortable and modern hotel decor.
Location was good and some good restaurants in close walking distance,
Whilst everything was faultless the atmosphere was slightly clinical but perhaps am just being a little fussy !
Certainly good value for money and you will find it difficult to find any real faults.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay with us in Yakima. It is great to hear that the staff was friendly and that your expectations were met. It is nice to know that you were able to go out and enjoy some of our local restaurants. We do have a beautiful and friendly city. Thank you for recognizing our hotel and we hope to have you as our guest again during future visits to the area.

Warm Regards,

Lisa Vallejo

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Yakima? Share your experiences!