“Good food in Yakima” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Seattle
“Good food in Yakima”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

Yes, Virginia, you can have a good meal in Yakima. The menu has large entree salads--either Caesar or a Melange salad (greens, dried cherries, walnuts, and supposedly apples), to which you can add salmon, shrimp, chicken or a meat. I chose salmon and got a perfectly cooked king fillet atop the Melange salad, with dressing on the side. My only complaint was that the apples were nowhere to be found. Otherwise very tasty. My husband was happy with his rack of lamb--four small chops with a generous serving of mashed potatoes, green beans and zucchini. The evening we went was probably not a good night to test the kitchen or the front of the house. The restaurant had participated in a street fair all day on the hottest day of the year. I figure that's why there was no apple in the salad and why the waitress never bothered to ask us whether we wanted dessert; also the foccacia that came before the meal had been cut way too early in the evening. If I could give half stars, I would give this a 3.5. I expect that on a more relaxing day, the food and the service would be better

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Seattle
“Yes there IS good food in Yakima WA!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

We had just floated the Yakima River and were hungry for a great dinner. The reviews on this place were good and I was anticipating a good experience and I got it! When I think of Yakima gourmet food does not come to mind but this great little offstreet bistro delivers as good as you will get there. The decor is cozy if not fancy and my only complaint which I often voice is that the muzak had types of music that seemed to us just out of place for the type of restaraunt. Why do they often get this wrong? Service was friendly and attentive but know that they take a good 10-15 minutes between courses on purpose and advise so, not problem for us. Good wine selection including locals. I had the veal scallopini which was excellent with a starter "Melange" salad that was outrageous and good and included in the main course price. Our entrees where not cheap but a good value with the bread and salad thrown in, no complaints there. Overall we were very happy with the place and had an enjoyable evening. I would return and can recommend it to anyone looking for a smaller, intimate dinner place with excellent food. Also close to the main hotels right off the freeway exit near the downtown, such as it is.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kingston, WA
“Good food fast courteous service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Excellent meal in every respect...the current chef was trained by the former chef and he personally checks on every patron

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
West Virginia
“Verlene the chef...the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

If you go to Cafe Melange...make sure that Verlene is cooking that night....or else...."forget about it." She is THE BEST cook there...dare I say the only real chef there. No corkage fee....great food, delicious steaks, and an intimate atmosphere. Not many good eateries in Yakima...this is one of the three best (along with Geppeto's and perhaps the French restaurant behind Melange). Best Italian food in a very "non-Italian food" town. Please don't insult your palate ...avoid the Olive Garden! No taste and your heart will scream in pain! My ratings ONLY refer to the times when Verlene is cooking! Nota Bene!

• Visited January 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Washington
“Wonderful Food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

I had a chicken dish and they were willing to make it gluten free for me. Very friendly staff, fast service, and the food is made fresh just for you.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere