“Terrible, greasy, overcooked and flavorless food. Bbq is nothing like bbq. Veggies shredded and mushy.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Joy Garden

Ranked #105 of 224 Restaurants in Yakima
Cuisines: Korean
Yakima, Washington, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

We ate here last night because of the reviews. The food was awful and then they started cleaning the kitchen with some kind of overpowering stench that had everyone talking. We left immediately, paid, and told the server about the smell. No response whatsoever. What is wrong with the other reviewers? Keep on driving.

Now today, my husband and I are having physical reactions to the good...won't go into detail.

• Visited August 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Yakima, Washington
“Marginal food, followed by a huge dose of floor cleaner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Being a big fan of Korean food, I gave this place a try when it first opened and found the food lacking. I hadn't been back since, but a friend told me how great the food is and so I gave it another try.

The waitress sat my wife and I at the worst table in the store, in the back next to the kitchen, despite there being other open tables and even a booth. My wife wasn't happy, but I figured it was part of the experience, so didn't make a fuss. The placement of the table would figure prominently later, as a wave of floor cleaner vapors rolled out of the kitchen, but enough foreshadowing.

Joy Garden bills itself as a "Korean BBQ" restaurant, so we were surprised that the menu didn't have any obvious BBQ items on it and asked the waitress why. She got very excited and said "Oh, you want THE BBQ MENU (!!!) and almost started jumping for joy. We found out why when she brought us the other menu because the prices were completely stunning. If we'd ordered anything off that menu, their take for the day would easily have doubled.

Anyway, I ordered Beef Bulgolgi, and my wife ordered some kind of spare rib dish. The presentation was nice, as the food came out crackling and steaming on hot cast-iron plates. My dish was overly sweet, the vegetables were SHREDDED into tiny, overcooked strips and had very little flavor outside the sugar.

My wife's ribs were bland and had lots of sinew and tendony things she had to eat around, but I guess that's the nature of ribs. There wan't a hint of BBQ about them, but I guess in whatever part of Korea these people come from they don't use smoke or fire when they cook BBQ.

The best part of this dismal meal was the three little dishes of whatever that came with the meal. One was a shredded something (radish, Jicama?) that was quite good, another was cucumbers in a nice sauce, and the kim chi was excellent.

About the time we glumly finished our meal, the wave of floor cleaner vapors I mentioned started rolling out of the kitchen, visiting our table first as it oozed through the store. My wife and I were overcome, and had to leave rapidly. As we hurried past a table I heard one of the guys say "floor cleaner" and he didn't look happy either.

When we paid my wife mentioned the intense floor cleaner smell, and the owner/manager literally laughed at us and said nothing. Maybe she thought we were trying to get out of paying, or maybe she plain didn't care, or maybe she didn't understand us, but no matter what it was incredibly poor customer service.

We were trying to be helpful by suggesting that in the future they shouldn't gas their guests, but for whatever reason she didn't give a hoot.

In summary, bad to marginal food, and a staff and management that is thoughtless and unconcerned with their product and customer experience. MY stomach gurgled uncomfortably for hours afterward, but that was probably just the kim chi settling in.

• Visited August 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Yakima, Washington
“sshhh it's a secret”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This place has great food with fresh veggies and meat. You can tell this is a family owned business. Every time I have been in there the volume of customers has been low, but the food is great. I am confident it is simply because not many people in this area know about how good Korean BBQ is. Try the spicy pork Bul Go Gi it is not terribly spicy, but so good!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Yakima, WA
“Best Korean cooking around!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Home cooked and lots of food. Take out is available. Reasonable prices. Never crowded, so it is a well kept secret!

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Yakima's hidden gem.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Chef Jane is a truly amazing chef. Everything is made fresh and everything I have had is delicious. What a blessing for Yakima to have such a wonderful resturante. Don't hesitate to stop here for a meal and if you love the place as much as I do tell your friends.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere