“Extremely rude service, non-smoking room smelled like ash tray” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   607 East Yakima Avenue, Yakima, WA 98901   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Seattle, WA
“Extremely rude service, non-smoking room smelled like ash tray”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

My friends, husband and I have been spending a weekend in Yakima every fall for years now. We all live in Seattle and like to get away for wine tasting and sun. This is the first time we tried staying in the Red Lion. We booked using hotels.com and got two equal rooms/rates. When we got there, our friends got a great looking room overlooking the courtyard, while we got stuck in a tiny room in the back that reeked of cigarrettes. Since we were paying the same rate, we returned to the lobby and asked if they could find us a different room since we wanted a non-smoking and well, we had seen the nicer rooms they had to offer. The hotel receptionist said there was nothing she could do since we booked using expedia/hotels.com. A;lso there was nothing she could do regarding the smoke since somebody else was in charge of cleaning the rooms. Excuse me? That's terrible service and attitude. We tried to politely reason with her but she was of no help. Then she claimed the hotel was fully booked and she had no other rooms to offer. So my husband called Hotels.com. While he was on the phone, I saw two people arrive and get a room without a reservation. Fully booked? The lady lied to us! Hotels.com tried to get us a new room, but guess who answered them? Lying lady, who claimed all she had to offer was the room next door. We didn't take it immediately since the location and the size was going to be the same. So we asked Hotels.com to hold our room while we looked for a different hotel. We found a room at the Oxfort Suites for the same price, with hot breakfast buffet. We came to the reception to cancel our room, and the lady told us Hotels.com had already told her that we didn't want to stay with them so she had gone ahead and cancelled already. Another lie! We didn't want to argue with this incompetent lady anymore, so we just left, and called Hotels.com one last time. They had NOT cancelled our room, but went ahead and did it then. She practically threw us out from the Red Lion, just for having booked online. Our friends did stay the night there, to find out the next morning that the breakfast they had been told was included with their stay, was actually charged separately. Then as they checked out they asked for a copy of their receipt, and they were told they couldn't give them one because they had booked using expedia/hotels.com. AGAIN! If this hotel is so averse to customers using reputable online services to book rooms, they should just remove themselves from the listings. I'm sure they get quite a bit of business from expedia/hotels.com, but they treat the customers that book through them like crap. Avoid this hotel and their lousy attitude.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
CarlFletcher, Corporate Owner at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this review, January 26, 2010
We want to extend our most sincere apologies for the level of service you experienced and your overall stay at our hotel. We use the reviews left by guests to better our hotels and our approach to the service we provide. Your experience is very valuable and we hope that if you return to Yakima, you will allow us another chance to show you the outstanding service we can provide. Thank you for your review and your patronage.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Poulsbo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed here while attending the Yakima Fair and Sprint Car races. Our room was spotless and the staff was always eager to answer any questions. Our room looked out over the pool area which was nice. We even had lounge chairs and table on a patio.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

My husband, 1 year old and myself stayed last night at the Red Lion in Yakima Washington. It was pretty dated, but there had been an attempt at updating the rooms- like new faucets, new artwork, that sort of thing, but it was still obviously an old hotel. We had to bathe our not-quite-walking baby several times as the carpet in our room was so filthy his legs,feet and hands were black from crawling around the room. Not just dirty but black. There were 2 burned out lightbulbs, one next to bed and one in bathroom. We ate dinner at the Libby's restaurant there at the hotel and didn't care for it. For a Friday night, it was empty- that should have been a clue. The service was very slow and the food wasn't very good. My prime rib- the daily special- lacked taste, as if it were old. My husband had the halibut and said it was overcooked and salty.

Overall, we will not be staying there again, and would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Salt Lake City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We were in town for a family thing and didn't want to stay with relatives. We used priceline.com and got a $60 rate, which was great for the room. It was a regular size room and the beds were comfy. The A/C is the individual wall unit, so it was a bit noisy, but it worked fine. The pool was nice, but there are no gym or hot tub facilities (they allow you to use the YMCA a few buildings down, but that was not convenient for me). The room was pretty clean, but I'm pretty picky about bathrooms and the shower wasn't as good as it should have been, but ok. The hotel is located right next to the convention center, but there really isn't anything else nearby. We ate a Mexican restaurant about 1 mile down the road (nothing special), but only spent the one night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
usbancorp
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the at the Red Lion Yakima this Saturday and were actually pretty satisfied. The lobby/check in area appears updated and clean, the check in process was smooth (although no upgrades were available.) We stayed in the "corporate" building on the 1st floor which constituted a 2 queen bed room w/ a sliding door to a quasi-patio. It's actually pretty handy since we could park the car right infront of our room and have immediate access to it. It looked like the rooms upstairs had balcony's w/ table and chairs, so ask for a 2nd floor room if you'd like those "perks".

The TV wasn't much to brag about, it was an old 25" flat screen tube tv but there were quite a few channels to flip thru. The bathroom was suprisingly updated with great light, newer fixtures and countertops. Ice buckets, cups, and coffee for the morning were all in a convenient alcove.

Best of all - we snagged this off of priceline for $51 + tax. Don't be afraid to make an almost crazy offer on a 3 star room in Yakima!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
SEATTLE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

I stayed here for two nights in April 2009. I was attending a conference at the convention center and this was the designated hotel. Once we found our room it had outdoor entry in what looked like a motel. Later I found ants around and on my bed!! We called the hotel manager and they could not find any but changed our sheets. After waking up the next morning we found two more ants on the bed. They said because the hotel was fully booked they were unable to find us another but asked us if we wanted our room sprayed. On the final morning we found more ants, yet again. Called the hotel waited awhile then had to leave but they never showed up.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Tumwater, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2008

This was my first time staying at the Red Lion Yakima, but I had been there for conferences years before. The hotel itself is an interesting and confusing maze of buildings, but the grounds are very well maintained, clean, and pleasant to look at.

There are chairs outside each room and it appears the hotel may have been remodeled last year or so. The rooms are a nice size, the beds have lots of pillows, but my mattress was lumpy and sagged in the middle. The room was ice cold when I arrived with no heat turned on at all, even though we had booked the room weeks in advance. The check in at the front desk was done by a very professional and friendly girl named Ashley, who was very helpful showing me how to navigate the maze to my room. The convention center is across the parking lot. I was exhausted from my drive and was looking forward to a hot shower, but once I got in the shower, I immediately noticed hairs stuck to the tile all over the shower, the shower curtain, and the outer edge of the tub. I was disgusted. It was clear the maids do not pay attention to the cleanliness of the bathrooms. I rinsed the entire shower area out myself.
The next morning, I was really looking forward to a fresh cup of coffee from the in room coffee maker, However, when I opened the water storage area, it was very dirty inside, with a white crystally substance very visible. So, I had to go buy coffee elsewhere. Again, the maids do not care about cleanliness here.

All in all, the room and hotel are average. I had thought a lot more of the Red Lion before staying here. It is really more like a Best Western with nice bath and body works products. I was very disappointed.

• Liked — ath & Body Works Products, Free In-Room Internet, Front Desk Staff
  • Disliked — Very dirty rooms, hair in the tub and shower walls, dirty coffee machine I couldn't use
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center? Share your experiences!