“Okay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Yakima
“Okay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I give the Red Lion an Okay due to the following: The Staff needs to keep the customer informed of issue when brought to their attention. Or they should leave a calling card, with description of work that was done or could not be repaired etc… in the room when maintenance has to be done. Example My AC went out and I notified them in the morning and when I returned that evening I received nothing from the staff and the AC issue was never resolved during my stay.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Yakima
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

The room key cards did not work. We were told that all of the staff was new as the Hotel had just recently changed hands. The front desk staff was unsure how to do things. The staff in the Lounge was not only not friendly but seemed to make a point to avoid you, and when they did make contact it was to say they were expecting other servers to arrive, needless to say after this encounter on friday evening we didn't bother going back in.
The Catered dinner Saturday night was a joke, we paid 40.00 each for salad and fruit as the food had run out before our table was served. The entertainment failed to arrive.
The breakfast served in the mornings was usually out of food during the time that I was able to be there, had to hunt down coffee cups. No coffee to be found after the breakfast hour.
All in all I felt really sorry for the inexperienced staff, most of them tried to do their best with what they knew and others were so overwhelmed that they just tried to stay out of the way.

Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

RL_Customer_Care, Corporate Customer Care Department at Red Lion Hotel Yakima Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for providing this valuable feedback so that we can address these areas with our staff. There is no reason, nor is it acceptable, to have a poorly run catered dinner. We apologize for your event running out of food for both the dinner and the breakfast. We apologize tremendously for the experiences you encountered during your stay and we hope you will provide us with the opportunity to rectify these issues so that we can have you back and provide you with the superior service deserved!
Kind Regards
Hoquiam, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this Red Lion about a month ago as we had a very good impression of the place from a few pleasurable stays in the past. This particular stay was terrible. Rooms were not ready for a lot of our convention folks with reservations at the normal 3:00 PM check in time and even later. There were maids still cleaning rooms after 5:00 PM. The Breakfast wasn't very good either. The food was alright and the various items were ok when you could get them. It took a pretty long time to get the empty trays and bins refilled and frequently were left empty for quite a while. The coffee urn was empty before we arrived and it was about 20 minutes before another was put out. I guess we could have had the decaf but I prefer caffeine in mine. Perhaps another person or two taking care of this area would help. In general the management of this establishment seems to need a lot of improvement. I understand that it was sold recently and if this is the case, action needs to be immediate. They have already lost my wife's convention for next year. They are moving it back to the Howard Johnson as the attention they received there in the past was very good. Decided to try the Red Lion as they were promised that they would match the prices and were a better convention venue. There was lot of disorganization and trouble with the room keys for a lot of the people. Blamed the problem on a Police convention saying there recently and that the cops had used there own scanners which messed up the hotels system. Not sure if I buy that. My wife spent over 2 1/2 hours, starting at 10:30 AM trying to get a room key that would work. They tried to make new door cards but they wouldn't work either. They offered to let us move rooms but we would have had to wait until 3:00 PM to do it. Until then we would have to have the front desk contact someone to let us in each time we need to. Or we could just sit and hang out in the lobby until after 3PM. They gave us three keys when we checked in and we were told that this was policy even if there was only two of us. I went to the room when my meeting broke up for lunch. The two keys I had both worked just fine so I cancelled the room change. Don't know what the problem really was but I think that it is a lack of in depth training. The Free Wii Fi was worth what we paid for it. Internet was difficult to logon to and couldn't be relied upon to stay connected. Sprinklers seemed to water as much of the sidewalks as it did the grass. The misting system around the pools is nice but not when you are just walking by the pool area and this mist sprays all over you, your glasses and your clothes. Perhaps some sort of shield to protect those just passing by might help. When we got home my wife checked our credit card status on line and found that we had been charged an extra $80.00 over what the bill we received stated. Per a phone call with the front desk, she was told that there is a routine charge of $40.00 a day for "incidentals", what ever that is, and that if none of these "incidentals" were used, purchased or what ever, this amount would be taken off. We were never informed of this practice and feel that a warning should have been given if that is the case. No compensation was even offered for the ongoing inconvenience. We are planning another trip to the Yakima area in October and guess where we will not be staying. No compensation wed. as even offerThe staff is very polite and seemed to try their best but there doesn't seem to me enough of them and their training seems insufficient. One last thing. If you think this is an isolated issue, many of my fellow conventioneers also related problems similar to mine, whether they will take the time to make their feelings known on a site such as this is totally up to them.

Room Tip: Try for a room in the main building, especially if you have difficulty with stairs as this is the on...
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Had stayed here before w/out problems, but this time the first room we were given hadn't been cleaned. The next one we were assigned we couldn't get into several times because the card key didn't work reliably (at one point they told us we were trying to get into the wrong room and gave us keys to the one next door, which of course had someone else's stuff, not ours - fortunately he wasn't there! The TV was snowy (last straw), the front desk clerks had only one terminal so there was always a long line, and there was no manager on duty to complain to or authorize a refund. We went elsewhere and are still hoping we didn't be charged. On the bright side, the outdoor pool area was enjoyable.

Kennewick, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I work at another Red Lion Hotel and was very surprised by how BAD the Yakima property has become. I asked to NOT be put in the Townhouse unit, which I was. It smelled really bad, musty and stale. The room was freezing cold, mind you the temp was only in the low 80's. I asked that my credit card NOT be charged, which it was. I told the front desk agent when I checked in, I would pay CASH when I checked out. She charged my card that day! The Roaring Start Breakfast was all COLD!! The eggs, potatoes, Bacon and sausage did not have a cover over them and were NOT up to temp. The juice was in open pitchers with no ice to even keep them cold, the milk was in a gallon jug in a fridge. All most everything was empty, we got there @ about 9:30 and they stop serving @ 10 so things should have been refreshed. Only up side was there was no charge, they had a hotel full of Knights of Columbus and said they were not charging anyone for breakfast. So that was kinda cool. Then I go to pay my bill IN CASH, and the front desk agent doesn't have any money(cash) to make my change, so I end up paying more then I should have because she only had 20 dollar bills in her bank. It was only $2.46 but that is NOT the point. She said no one would be in until 11am with another bank. I was leaving @ 10. I will take this info back to my hotel and feel very PROUD of the way we run ours.

Room Tip: Not sure you will get what you ask for, I didn't.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Another hotel "campus" that is located indowntown Yakima, close to all the thigs you come to this part of eastern Washington for. In this labyrinthine low rise layout there are walkways, sculptured trees, two cool swimming pools, restaurant and a lounge to practice you salsa steps on weekend nights.

A running pump behind the wall in the room made for a very fitful sleep. Complaints to management went unheeded despite the late night visit of the site maintenance man. Nothing was done, and in the morning, long after breakfast, it suddenly stopped. No explanation given.

Room Tip: If you have a complaint make sure management does something about and not just ignore you;
Spokane, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

While the overall stay at the Yakima Red Lion was acceptable we were assigned a room that someone was already in and when we went back to the front desk the person who helped us seem "unconcerned" and was not sure what to do. The other front desk person had to help. The room we did stay in was not well cleaned.