“Don't know what the whining is about” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
“Don't know what the whining is about”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

Got a room here off of hotwire for 3 nights and was terrified after reading the reviews. But this place is fine-it's not the newest and it doesn't have flat screen tv's but the bed was fine and the place was clean. It's the sort of place that sport teams would stay, a solid 2.5 star hotel

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

Probably one of the worst hotels we have stayed at. The only saving graces are the pool (which is pretty cool) and the breakfast is pretty decent as well.
The rooms are dirty and gross. We called down to the front desk about a wine bottle opener and they made us come down to the front desk and open our wine there instead of bringing it to our room.

Lets put it this way: if you can get the room for under 50.00 on hotwire or priceline, then it's worth it...otherwise it's worth the money to go to the Hilton downtown!

• Stayed June 2012
Surrey, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Just stayed here from June 21 to June 24 with two soccer teams from our club. Although the pool was nice, the rooms were tired and very dated and didn't seem very clean. The Zenith TV in the room brought me back to the 1970's when my my parents bought the same brand. Despite having four people in our room, we only received three bath towels. After leaving a note for the maid to provide four towels, she did so on the first day but then proceeded to give us three for our remaining days. First my wife, then I, went to the front desk to ask for an extra towels, only to be told that the maids had gone home for the day. We complained even more, and begrudgingly, we were given a towel (they seemed to be hidden away in an office). The pool was generally out of towels, and when several parents asked, the towels were never replenished. I will never, ever stay here again as a hotel should provide basic ammenities such as towels, especially when in a non-third world country.

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This place was an old and run down facility with terrible service. Our team of over 30 stayed here for a weekend tournament and we were dissapointed in the value paid for our rooms. Our dated rooms with popcorn ceilings and dirty brown carpet wasn't even cleaned until 5:30pm. The only thing you will get from this place is dissatisfaction in service and value.

Pullman, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

This is a pretty good place to stay. They have a seasonal pool and hot tub, year around work out room. There is a lounge, game room for the kids. There is a continental breakfast that is hash browns and scrambled eggs, waffles, toast, coffee, cereal, juice, etc. Rooms a pretty clean with cable and internet. I givr it four stars because the first night we were there, there was a group of kids running up and down the hall. I called the front desk at 9:00 pm to complain, but the kids were still running up and down the hall at 11:00. A second call from me and a few other guests finally got it quiet. I think the front desk person might have been friends with them because it was allowed to go on for so long before anything was done. Maybe I wasn't aggressive enough when I initially called, but on the second call I was not nice. I complained to the manager the next day and even though the kids were still there, they were not loud the second night.
This place is in the worst part of Yakima. Don't go out after dark unless it is in your car. It is over ran with gang violence and crime. Then again, most of Yakima is.

Room Tip: Go for a bottom floor room facing the hot tub and pool if you can. You can go out of your sliding gl...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
hojoyakima, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Yakima/Near Convention Center, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Thank you, I appreciate your comments, it helps us to focus in on where we need to look at our policies and how we can improve every guest stay each and every time. We took the opportunity to put together some guidelines for the check in process for teams members traveling together and how we can assist the chaperones and staff in the difficult task they have at hand. Our goal is to communicate our policies and help encourage the chaperones through cooperation and assistance on both sides, coming together as a team to make our hotel an enjoyable experience during the day time and especially with the evening quiet time. Thank you again for staying with us, we look forward to serving you in the future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012 via mobile

The beds are awful. Hotel was disgustingly gross. Way to much money for what they offer . The pool looks like its been broke for a few years. Your better off staying at a motel 6. Won't ever stay at a Howard Johnson hotel again

• Stayed March 2012
Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us and I will utilize your response by continuing to focus on making each and every guest experience the best it can be.

I realize we did not put our best effort forth for your stay with us, and I along with my staff are disappointed in our let down of your expectations while you were with us.I will work diligently on training of staff that go the extra mile and know that customer service and cleanliness is the most important facet of what we do.

Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues have been addressed. We try very hard to employ, train and retain our staff daily .

To update you on our pool; it is a summer season only as it is outdoors,open from Memorial day until the end of September, weather dependent of course. During the off season we keep a pump going to drain the rain water that collects in the pool area, to keep debris out of the drain system, as it is drained each winter along with storage of furniture at that time, I hope that helps explain what you were seeing on the pool deck at the time of your stay.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you, to show you we do care and are working to continually strive to be better each and every day. Thank you for your comments, I appreciate each and every one.
Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

This was by far the most disgusting hotel I have ever been in. There was honestly fecal matter in the tub, brown stains on the bed and the towels had black hairs all over them as if they had not been washed, just folded and rehung. I complained about the room and it fell on deaf ears. The staff offered me 2 towels and those were also dirty, I actually showed the girl at the desk the towels right when she handed them to me and she said that was all she has. The carpet made my socks brown. I could not stay, i left and went elsewhere for the remainder of my business trip.

Room Tip: Honestly, beware of this place. totally gross. However if you are just looking for a place to get...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
We appreciate each and every comment to use as a tool to train and mentor our staff members to ensure we are always improving our services so we can exceed our guest stays expectations.
Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues have been brought to the attention of each staff member here at our hotel.
Again, I truly apologize for the lack of empathy and cleanliness during your stay with us, it was unacceptable from us. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you, to show you we do care and are working to continually strive to be better each and every day.

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Yakima/Near Convention Center? Share your experiences!