“Wow Holiday Inn Comes of Age” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #7 of 24 hotels in Yakima
Midland, Michigan
“Wow Holiday Inn Comes of Age”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

As a "new" senior citizen, my recollections of Holiday Inn focused on boring rooms, bland colors, rough towels and a place simply to sleep -- and leave early the next morning.

As a result, most of my lodging needs were met by Marriott brands, especially Spring Hill Suites which I find lively, crisp and fresh.

A few nights ago, on a family outing, we stayed at this Holiday Inn and I was blown away by the quality of the room, the staff and the restaurant staff. Let's focus on the room:

Bed linens were crisp; much more so than my Marriott properties. I was delighted to find four pillows with firm and soft (two each) embroidered in the pillow case. And each pillow was true to its label. The room was more spacious than a Spring Hill Suites and the bathroom more crisp. Not a speck of mildew/mold on the difficult areas of the shower.

As other reviewers have noted, pets are alllowed. We did not have a pet so I don't know what that procedure is. Generally I am not nuts about pets sharing a room with people. But I found no indication of pet presence in our room.

We did find the restaurant understaffed for the busy Labor Day weekend. Apparently management, even knowing the hotel was full, did not schedule additional servers. That was frustrating but once we got a table, the server was great, friendly, helpful and apologetic for the busy-ness. The food was about what you'd expect -- about on the same level of Bob Evans restaurants -- decent but nothing memorable.

If I were in Yakima again I'd definitely book this property.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
BrittDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Yakima, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Ed H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We truly appreciate the feedback!! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We strive to provide excellent service and clean, comfortable rooms.

I would like to pass your kind words about the cleanliness and crispness of the rooms on to our Executive Housekeeper. Her and her team are truly assests to our facility.

Thank you for the feedback on the restaurant. I will pass this onto the restaurant manager and Food and Beverage Director. I would like to apologize for the short staffing that caused a wait but am delighted to hear that your server did a great job!

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Yakima!

90 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Poulsbo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My sister came to the hotel to check in and they said we didn't have reservations. They made us a new reservation but would not honor the rate I was given by the Director of Sales. The Front Desk acted like I was lying to them. I told them when I got to my room I would call my work and have them fax a copy of the email with the quoted rate in it so they could give me the discount. I did that and they still refused to honor it.
We went to the restuarant that same evening after looking at the room service menu in the room. We got to the restaurant that was not busy at all and it took forever to get our drinks. Then my nephew who was also staying at the hotel asked if he could get the club house sandwich which was on the menu in the room. We were told that was for room service only. He asked if it was prepared in the same kichen and we were told it was. But, they still refused. The waitress said she would ask her manager and came back with another No!. We asked if we could call room service and pay for it and instead of them going all the way up to the 5th floor to deliver it if we could just meet them at the restaurant and pick it up so that we could all eat together. We were told we couldn't do that either. I was flabbergasted by the way we were treated. We also were charged for my great nephew's meal (he is 3), when it said in 4 places on the menu in the room "KIDS EAT FREE IN THE RESTAURANT". We didn't notice that until we left.
I did get the credit from the Director of Sales for the rate mistake. I sent her and email explaining how disappointed I was about the other items and she didn't even respond.
I have been in the hotel business for over 30 years and I have been a GM for over 20 and I would be really upset if my staff treated a guest in this manner. There are two rules at my hotel. #1. The guest is always right, #2. Never let a guest go away mad. This place failed on both accounts.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear TC719,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate the chance to make changes and grow. Our hotel strives to create a positive environment for all guests and to make every effort to solve any problems a guest may have.

We have spoken to all staff involved and reinforced the idea that the guest is right. We will continue to monitor our staff's interaction with our guests.

Thank you again for the feedback. I truly hope you will give us another chance next time you are in Yakima. We would love to have you back!
Ramstein-Miesenbach, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Overall, this was a very clean and well-maintained modern hotel. The room and the bed were comfortable and the premises were well-secured. The on-site was restaurant was clean and tasty, if a bit over-priced. However, something happened that was a bit surprising for a 3 star hotel. The night we checked in, we got all ready to go swimming in the indoor pool on the first floor. The pool and hot tub looked very nice. However, we were shocked to see an unleashed mutt wandering and splashing around in the water. There were approximately 5-10 people in the hot tub, who apparently brought the dog. We complained to the receptionist at the time, but she simply dismissed our concerns. Upon checking out the next morning, we again expressed our concern and dissatisfaction with the situation. While the receptionists did apologize, we were told that it was possible that this could be a "service dog" and protected by HIPAA and therefore the front desk staff had no right to inquire why an unleashed dog would be wandering around an indoor aquatics center. A simple assurance that this wouldn't happen again would have been enough, but we weren't even given that. "Pet friendly" should not override common sense.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BrittDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Yakima, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Fallout50,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so glad that you enjoyed our rooms and restaurant. We do strive to keep our property comfortable for all guests.

Thank you also for bringing to our attention the dog in the pool area. We will definitely use it as a tool to better train toward our ADA standards. While it is true that the dog could have been a service dog and is welcome in the pool area, the dog should not have been allowed into the pool or hot or to run around unsupervised. Thank you again for the opportunity to train our staff. We truly appreciate the chance.

We hope to see you back with us next time you find yourself in Yakima!
Newtown, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I booked this Holiday Inn months in advance using Priority Club points. I reserved an executive king that included a jetted tub in the room description. Much to my surprise we were given a standard king upon arrival. After returning to the front desk after seeing our room, the staff had no idea how to handle the situation. Their explanation was the executive rooms were already occupied. This should never happen. I did call the main office at IHG and at least they redeemed some of my points. However, it doesn't make up for the original error.

In fairness, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Chehalis and the Candlewood Suites at the Portland airport on this trip and had great experiences at both places. I have reviews posted on both hotels. I don't want it to seem like I'm bashing the IHG brand. They have been a good chain for us over the years.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Yakima, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear relayer,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the reservation confusion. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Woodinville,WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Convenient location, modern hotel in heart of downtown. Clean, and well maintained, friendly staff, free secure fenced parking, Very nicely decorated room offering comfy beds. Have stayed here before and would do so again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
BrittDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Yakima, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear luvgr8trvl,

Thank you so much for taking time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. We know you are busy, but genuinely enjoy hearing from our guests! I am so glad you had a great stay.

I'm so happy to hear that you have stayed with us before. We love seeing familiar faces!! Thank you for your kind words about our rooms. I will pass your words along to the maintanence and housekeeping staff.

We hope to see you back with us again next time you are in Yakima!!

Hood River, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Very pleasant stay! The room was lovely and the beds were great for a good night of sleep! The breakfasts were very good. This hotel is close to the convention center. I'm looking forward to staying here again

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
BrittDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Yakima, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
JudyHG,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor! We truly appreciate your kind words. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our bedding to be comfortable. I hope you and your friends had a great time in Yakima!

We hope to see you again next time you are traveling to Yakima for pleasure or business!!

Thank you again for choosing the Holiday Inn Downtown Yakima.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We are on our honeymoon just stopping through and needed a place for the night. We didn't stop by until 10pm to see if there were rooms available. To our luck there was and the front desk was really nice and got us in to a king size standard room for very reasonable. The 24hr pool was clean and nice. The room itself was nice as well. The decor wasn't out of date and made you feel cozy.

• Stayed August 2013
BrittDOS, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Yakima, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Mpircey,

Congratulations on your marriage! We are so glad that we were able to play a small roll in your honeymoon! Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and front desk staff. I will be sure to pass your message along to the front desk manager to share with her staff.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our pool, rooms, and decor. We truly appreciate it and strive to offer continued excellence!

We would like to wish you many happy years in the future together and hope to see you again next time you are in or traveling through Yakima.

Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Holiday Inn Yakima? Share your experiences!