“Do NOT consider staying at this hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Economy Inn
1405 North 1st Street, Yakima, WA 98901 (Formerly Econo Lodge)   |
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Olympia, Washington
“Do NOT consider staying at this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

The desk clerk was rude and unhelpful. The hotel had a huge sign outside that advertised their wireless internet services yet according to the clerk they have problems quite frequently with the internet. We were instructed to come "up front" and use the internet from there. When I tried that, the wireless connection that I was able to connect to was for the Clarion hotel next door. The hotel, even though it was supposed to have been redone recently and is a non-smoking facility, smelled heavily of smoke. The room was stuffy so we tried the air conditioner - it smelled heavily of smoke so we turned it off immediately. We tried to open the window - it freely opened because it had no lock on it whatsoever (no latch, no piece of wood). Not a wonderful feeling beings as how this was a ground level room. Our experience was horrible and I highly recommend you stay most anywhere else. We left and went to the Clarion and had an absolute wonderful stay!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Portland,OR
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

It was cheap. I expected a little more than I got though. Like, a phone that worked and actually had a phone number on it; a fire exit map that had my room marked on it; a pencil and a pad of paper to write on; a traveller's brochure that wasn't 4 months out of date; an employee who apparently resented being asked for more waffle batter, and more OJ, when both were totally empty.

My room, in contrast to some of the reviews I've now read, was fairly clean. The towels were white, the floors were mopped, the sheets clean, and the AC worked.

The parking lot was littered with trash. There was only one entrance/exit we could use, the other being a "fire door, alarm will sound" exit. No one was ever actually at the desk when I went by, always had to ding the bell to get anything.

Yakima is a very hospitable city, friendly, helpful, sunny. These folks apparently don't realize they're part of Yakima!

Motel 6 almost directly across the street, almost same price, will get my business the next time.

• Liked — the price, a poor reason!
  • Disliked — the attitude of the staff, like I was imposing on their day by being there
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Spokane
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2008

I stayed at the Econologe a day ago and the pictures they gave to priceline make it look nice. There was a strong stench in the lobby of cabbage, the pool looked dirty and the desk lady was rude. Then we went to our rooms, and the floor was so dirty places of the "BROWN" carpet were black. I went to shut the door and the lock had been broken Off! We put our stuff down and started laughing, the bed was sticky and slopply made.,The Tv hardly worked, The tub was stained and their was no screen on the window. I looked out the window and had a lovely view of an ally and garbage cans. It was filthy!!! So we tried to call down to the office and ask for a refund but the phone diddnt even work, plus it was stolen from a Double Tree in Seattle. So we went down stairs and they told us no refunds, so we left and went to a motel 6 down the road. Let me tell you it was clean, smelled good, and diddnt smell of cabbage.
SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!!
Stay at the Red Lion hotel, or Oxford suites!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — It was dirty!!!!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
seattle, wa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2008

I booked this place through Priceline.com (this is no fault of theirs) and the pictures that are posted for this hotel on the website are very misleading. It shows a modern, clean lobby area and one picture of a clean looking room. When I checked in, I was hesitate already because of the condition of the parking lot and immediate area around the Econolodge. It was very bare and a little rundown looking. But I had trouble finding any other place due to a basketball convention in town. I went into the lobby and this was indeed what I saw on the website, so I decided to continue checking in. Upon checking in, the woman behind the counter charged me for the room at that time rather than at check-out, like most hotels. I thought that was unusual, but may help guests later when checking out. I proceeded to my room through the lobby and down a hallway. As soon as I left the lobby area, the hotel was dark and the carpet was stained and dirty looking. The paint on the walls was yellowed with age and dirty from handprints, etc. Going down the hall to my room, I noticed the doors of the rooms looked scarred and scratched. When I went into my room, I was shocked. I realize that for the price it will not be five star accomidations, but this was well below one star. I would rather sleep in my car. I stood in the middle of the room, afraid to touch anything. The bedspread was old looking, the walls were extremely dirty and the paint was discolored. There were also cracks in the walls around the windows and ceiling and the curtains were so bare in spots, that the outside light from the sun was shining through even though they were closed tight. There was a gap in the wall were the AC unit was placed. The gap was large enough for me to peer through to the parking lot outside. There were cobwebs in the corner and in the dirty, yellow lampshade on the nightstand. The bathroom sink was rusted around the stopper and the shower had vinyl on the wall. The toilet didn't even work!! I went to the desk clerk to let them know that it didn't work and she seemed to know exactly what was wrong with it, almost as if this was a common occurence. She didn't even offer a different room or a discount. Needless to say, I did not stay there, but was charged anyway because I was told it was too late for a maid to come in and reset the room for a new guest. It looked like a maid hadn't even cleaned except for the made bed. I absolutely do not reccommend this place and warn anyone who may be making reservations there or any other Econolodge, if this is how they do business. I am very disappointed and will never choose a EconoLodge again.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

Very old hotel!! Overwhelming stench of curry and garlic permeated the lobby and main hallway from the adjoining residence. Single paned windows (it was less than 45 degrees outside) with a stick in the window sill for security and a barely functioning heating system. All joints and fixtures in the bathroom were caulked with miscolored and poorly applied caulking material. Poor shower water pressure with an inadequate supply of moderately warm water. Only ammenity was a bar of soap and cheap shampoo/conditioner. One light over vanity was burned out. Noisy hallway with easily audible slamming doors. Breakfast we skipped - muffins cut into smaller pieces - need I say more. Hotel managers expensive cars (BMW & Lexus) parked immediately in front of the entrance - money might be better spent on renovations! Spent the next night at another hotel one block away - Cost us only $10.00 more with a 100% increase in quality, comfort, convenience and service!

Stayed November 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2006

I work for a Glass Fabrication Company from Penticton, B.C. and travel quite extensively over Washington delivering our products. While I cannot in all honesty say that Nendels Inn is a gem, or even a terrific value, I will say that some of the comments made are quite alarming and are not true to my frequent stays there. However, I will say the following;

There seems to be a problem with hot water. While I have never experienced it as I am up and gone before 6 A.M., I have heard the occasional person xomment to the front desk.

The building is older, and there seems to be some minor repairs that have not been taken care of in an appropriate manner.

On the plus side, the building and ownership of Nendels has changed, and there has been a certain amount of funds used to spruce up the place. I do not pretend to know the plans the new ownership has for the building, business, or even if they have a hospitality background, but hopefully they have worked out a set of objectives and a timeline to achieve them.

Some helpful tips from a former hospitality person
If you are paying $50.00 for a room, you are not going to get a lot of amenities. Soap, yes, hair dryer, probably not.
When checking into a room, ask to see the room before purchase. Do not let the front desk show you a room and sell you another. See the room you are using.
If there is a "no refunds" policy, find another hotel. There is usually a reason. let someone else find out why.
If, for safety reasons (suspected poor wiring, sprinklers obviously not up to code) you decide to leave and a refund becomes a hassle, threaten to call the building inspectors office - then call them. Don't know the number? Get your room key, use the phone and phone book in the room and call them. better yet, ask to see the phone book at the front desk and call them on your cell. Regardless, $50.00 is not the price of you and your families safety. leave and don't look back. Follow up with authorities if it still plagues on your mind.
Often, in order for the independants to compete with the national chains, they have to offer something the chains are not able or willing to. In the $50.00 and under category that's tough. The margins are razor thin and the competition fierce. Amenities, personalized service, product turn over (like mattresses and desks) cost a lot of money in either time or in direct cash. The adage of "You get what you pay for" comes to mind, but the necessities are a requirement. Clean bed, safe room, clean and working bathroom. When these are not present, the property has broken your contract and must therefore give a refund.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2006

We came to yakima for the dog show, couldnt find any room. Finally we came to Nendels Inn, we were very satisfied with the room they gave us. The room was excellent, very well maintained room. The room was very affordable, total satisfaction. The breakfast was even better, the customer service was great, very clean room, and the swimming pool was just perfect. We were very satisfied with whole choice.

• Stayed May 2006

Been to Economy Inn? Share your experiences!