“It was alright...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Yakima
Brookston
“It was alright...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Arrived late after all day of driving, I had reservations and upon arrival check-in was without a hassle. The young lady at the front desk was confused, ironically, there was another guest with the same last name that had reservations and she thought I was them. After I told her again who I was, she checked me in relatively quick and with apologies. No problem.. The bed in the room was alright a pretty good nights sleep and pillows were comfortable. Room appeared to be pretty clean and orderly. The curtains needed put back on the curtain rod, so they would close. I did the best I could considering the hooks were missing. Not bad for the price, but not a Hilton, ok, for a nights stay... The front desk said they offer breakfast, but I didn't get an opportunity to check that out, as I had to leave before it was being served..

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

This hotel is very close to shopping and other restaurants near the facility. The rooms are large and very clean. The has a small pool, great for all ages and has a small breakfast area. The hotel staff was very friendly and pleasant. Excellent information from desk clerk when we checked in. Good location from the interstate.

Room Tip: Ground floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Gallup NM USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night in May 2013. I have mixed feelings about this motel. It was the most expensive motel in our two-week trip ($76 plus tax, with Choice Privileges senior discount rate.) Being relatively expensive, we had high expectations, which were mostly unfulfilled, as will be explained.
FIRST THE GOOD POINTS: Quality Inn Yakima is easily located. It is located near the freeway exit (# 36??), and it is located directly across from Yakima's largest shopping mall. An excellent seafood restaurant is situated about a block from the motel. The full breakfast was excellent, and there was plenty of seating in the dining room. The pool is medium sized, and is well maintained and clean. The general manager, who has managed the motel for about six months, was VERY HELPFUL in helping me get to an optical shop at the mall, to replace eyeglasses I'd forgotten at home prior to the trip. The ice machine works great, but its location is disguised as a motel room on the second floor.
NOW FOR THE BAD POINTS: It is a relatively old motel, dating back to the 1960s, as judged from fixtures in the room. The room is spatious, especially with one bed. Carpeting should be cleaned. I am certain that this motel did not begin like as a Quality Inn; it has the exterior walkways that were common among motels of the 1960s: Motel 6, the older Days Inn, or the older Holiday Inn chains. This style of walkway means that strangers walk past the room's window, which compromises privacy. There are many signs that maintenance was skimpy in the past: cracked, stained concrete, worn paint on the walkways, no elevator, low-definition older picture-tube TV in the room, cold water in the swimming pool (which had been described as "heated."), no Jacuzzi spa. FULL-DAY ADVANCE FOR CANCELLATION POLICY: Especially annoying was that the hotel requires a full 24-hour advance notice for cancellation of a reservation. This differs strongly from the motel industry standard: "4pm on day of arrival." After making the booking, I worried that, if my car broke down in the 350 mile drive from Boise ID, My $76 + tax advance payment would be totally lost. I discussed this topic directly with the general manager, who replied that, in such an emergency, consideration would be given. That too, is ambiguous; would my deposit then be refunded? He should state clearly what emergencies would lead to a refund, and which would not. The cancellation policy is so important to travelers, that I am certain that this motel loses business by having a restricted policy, even if exceptions can (maybe) be granted.
I regularly watch the travel channel series, HOTEL IMPOSS IBLE, with host Anthony Melcouri. I anticipate that, if Anthony inspected Quality Inn Yakima, he would decree that this motel must be upgraded through remodeling. I disagree about remodeling. QIY's style is certainly old, but the solution is NOT remodeling. Remodeling costs plenty, and it will lead to even higher rates. I suggest instead, that the motel be left as it is, but the rates be reduced by $20 to $25. I criticize the motel because it is too expensive for what it is: At $76, it is overpriced; but if the price were reduced to about $50.00, I would be happy with it. Finally, I suggest that Quality Inn inspectors should visit the motel to judge whether it meets general standards of the Quality Inn chain. This property would be more suitable if rebranded as a Rodeway Inn, an Econo Lodge, a Travel Lodge, or other economy brand, rather than as a Quality Inn. SB

Room Tip: Parking spaces are narrow, so if your car is parked between large trucks your doors could be dented...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Nevada, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I had to sign a waiver for no pets, however whomever stayed before me had a pet and they didn't clean the room. I'm not in the habit of wearing shoes in hotel rooms, but Quality Inn tricked me into thinking I was paying for a room in one. This was a motel, plain and simple. The room smelled awful, and I had to use my travel candle to obliterate some of the smell. Probably against the rules. Oh well. The door didn't latch properly. Shower wasn't clean. Bed was comfortable -- a feature I'd come to expect in Quality Inns (thank goodness one thing wasn't awful!)

As I have animal allergies, I was not pleased to wake up completely congested. I will not be staying here again. I chose not to complain for my one night as I was leaving early the next day, but they will not be getting my business again.

Also, with the roundabouts in town, GPS doesn't understand how to get there, so look at a map before you head.

Room Tip: Don't choose this hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Jason S, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank-you for your feedback on the Quality Inn. I would like to inform you that this property is under new management since January 2013. I apologize for the issues that you experienced during your last stay to Yakima and can ensure you that you will not run into any of those issues in the future. Since I've been managing this property, we have done numerous improvements to the property and rooms. I would like a chance to earn back your business the next time you come to Yakima. Just let me know if there is anything I can do and look forward to hearing back from you!
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Oh come ON!

When I pulled over after a long drive to a clean-looking but nondescript hotel in Yakima, WA, I did not expect fancy. Basic, maybe even beaten down, but with SOME semblance of cleanliness. The bathroom, bathtub/surround shower curtain were positively LITTERED with hairs. The tub drain - it was all but clogged from months, if not years - of hair accumulation. There were chunks of dried, bloody snot on the interior of the shower curtain and tub surround. A bloody spot on the barely painted wall. There was a big hair on the first towel I grabbed, which upon closer inspection, had chunks of god-knows-what on it. The TOWELS weren't clean! A large gap under the door leading to an adjacent room ensured that every grunt, cough wheeze and snort by the loud, tv-loving man next door was a real treat - esp since he stayed up past midnight and woke with the dawn. Oh - and the entire room was in the midst of a major ant infestation. Such things happen, ants gotta live too and all that, however seeing 10 or so of them swarming around the bathroom sink after my horrible shower experience was not what I needed to see. I suppose I should have put more thought into my interpretation of the name of this place - "Quality Inn" - which of course can mean either high or low quality. Now I know.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank-you for your feedback. I would like to inform you that this property is under new management since January 2013. I apologize for the room cleanliness issues that you experienced in the past and can ensure you that we have made significant strides in overall guest room condition as well as numerous improvements to the entire property. All of are guest rooms are cleaned with the highest standards and inspected daily to make sure we are at those standards. I would like a chance to earn back your business, please let me know when the next time you will be in Yakima and I will take care of your next stay with us.
Bruce, Mississippi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

While working in Yakima we opted to stay (off and on) for about 6 weeks at this Quality Inn. First off, the staff was extremely pleasant! After spending the first week cleaning the room and settling in - it became cozy. Onsite laundry was a plus. Only serious complaint was the lack of a "pet area", you do not wanna take your little Fido out behind this hotel to do his/her business!! Broken glass everywhere! The restaurants within walking distance (with the exception the the local IHOP, nasty) was great!! We stayed there in the winter, so needless to say, it snowed - a lot!! Praying we never have to go back to Yakima, Washington again, but if we do, we would probably stay at the Quality Inn.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We booked 2 rooms here for a wedding. The accommodations were what you would expect for the price, but what really impressed me was the staff! The guy that checked us in was very helpful and friendly. When we got home after the trip I realized my sons very special blanket had been left in one of the beds. This was a crises! Really, parents, you understand what I mean! Scott at the front desk found it, and mailed it back to us. Thank you Scott! You were great and deserve some recognition for taking care of us even after our stay!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!