“What is all the hype about?” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Winthrop
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Everett, WA
“What is all the hype about?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

I have always wanted to stay at Sun Mountain Lodge. Now that I have, I don't understand what people rave about. Because of the early dark nights, no lights for driving and a 10-15 min windy drive to town, I never left the lodge. I was bored and felt trapped.

Food/bev - there are only two choices for dining. The main dining room is very expensive, so I ate at the more casual bar/grill. There is little variety on the menu and too many game meat selections. I got very bored with the choices. The service was okay. Wine by the glass choices was moderate. At each meal, my water glass smelled like bleach. Coffee and espresso were awful.

Main rooms - the lodge has beautiful grand fireplaces. On more than one occasion the lobby area smelled like gas. The conference rooms were freezing cold and had poor AV. The cell phones interferred with the audio and gave a horrible sound that interrupted the presentations. Why can't they fix the problem? Every other hotel conference room can handle cell phones and AV. The catering for snacks was better than the bar/grill.

Guest rooms -The bed was nice, but the comforter was a little thin for the winter. The bathroom was very nice. I had a room with a TV. Thank goodness, as most guests had to sit around community televisions to watch. It felt like a dorm room. The lighting in the rooms was poor.

Spa- way too expensive

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Spokane, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2010

Stayed here on Valentine's Day on their Sparkling Wine Dinner package. The room was lovely, but the dinner was a major disappointment. The website advertised it next to a photo of their wine cellar and described it as the "luxurious Payseten room". In reality it was held in a nondescript, windowless conference room with group seating and paper cut-out hearts attached to the ceiling like a junior high dance. At a price of $140/couple in such a highly rated location one expects better.

I felt strongly enough about it to leave a letter with the front desk for the General Manager. I didn't ask for any compensation, but I did expect the GM to send an acknowledgement of the note and a thank you for bringing it to his attention. That seems like the appropriate action. Instead, now two weeks later I bristle at both the initial affront and the added insult that either the staff did not give him the letter or he saw fit not to respond. Either way I regard it as poor management decisions and I expect better of the place that advertises its partnership with a Relaix-Chateau property.

It's too bad. The location is wonderful and the rest of the staff seemed quite good, but I would question how long that can last if the present management acts in such a way.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, March 19, 2010
Although all but one table indicated they were satisfied and happy with the event, I think we erred in how we put this together and I certainly took this letter to heart. We will go back to our original format of previous years.

I am surprised to read that my letter was not received. I wrote and invited the guest back at my cost, including dinner. Not only did we owe home this, but a massive thankyou for bringing this to my attention so we know to change back.
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2009

Glorious place, a place to remember.
Stunning location, excellent food, amazing swimming pools – love it.
Paradise.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

We enjoyed our stay in this beautiful resort, located in a remote part of the USA, in North Central Washington, East of the Cascades.
Our room was beautiful, but we would have enjoyed having a balcony. The resdturants are wonderful, with great food and very goos service, with prices to match. The selection at the bar was a bit limited.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
BOTHELL, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

We finished off a trip of hiking and camping in the North Cascades with a much anticipated night at Sun Mountain Lodge. Upon arrival, we were not disappointed with the beautiful scenery. Our room was a bit of a disappointment at $240 a night. We had a nice view of the valley, but the entrance was right below our room. However, we were pleasantly surprized that the room did not have a TV! This was wonderful. True relaxation.

We were still happy with our decision to stay here until we entered the Wolf Creek Grill. We were greeted as we walked in and told we could sit anywhere we like. We chose to sit on the beautiful deck, as it was a gorgeous evening. A cold hostess filled our water glasses and could not even mutter a hello. We thought that was odd...In a place noted for it's incredible service. Then our server arrived, and was just as cold as the hostess. We had planned to eat dinner here, but were really shocked by the bad service and moved into the empty dining room. The service here was great, but the food was WAY overpriced for the quality. Breakfast the next morning was good as was the service.

My recommendation is to stay here for the wonderful views and plethora of outdoor activity, but plan to eat dinner in town. We were shocked by how poor the bar and grill service was and how overpriced the dining room food was. Hopefully with enough honest reviews, the facility will improve upon it's service in the Grill.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
BrianCharlton, General Manager at Sun Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, February 1, 2010
The service was poor in September in the grill, shortly after losing the manager of the grill. I was surprised at the comments regarding the food in the dining room, which is receiving such good reviews with our new chef who came to us November 2008. We changed the grill menu, located a strong supervisor and I do believe the situation is handled.
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

So surprised no-one has mentioned this activity! We just attended yesterday, and it was well worth it. $100 for 2 people will let you ride your own horse (single file) to/from the BBQ dinner site. It was apprx. 45 min each way. When we arrived, there was a full dinner of steak,chicken,BBQ Beans,corn bread,watermelon, baked potato,cole slaw and Peach Cobbler. All prepared by a single guy,I forget his name. The credit to this adventure does not go to Sun Mountain Lodge, but to the gentleman that owns the business and his female wranglers. Thanks to Kit and Diana(Our wranglers) for ensuring we "newbies" could ride a horse! And thanks for the awesome food!

JAbrego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Sun Mountain Lodge for two nights in August 2009. We had a room in the Gardner Building located next to the main lodge. Second floor, corner room.
The Lodge is in a beautiful location outside the town of Winthrop. The rooms are very nice, roomy and comfortable. The decor authentic wilderness/western type.
Upon arrival we were greeted promptly, however the clerk was not very friendly. There is a lot to do there. The scenery is extraordinary and the wilflife abundant, particularly deer. The hiking trails are well marked and nicely maintained. It is expensive to stay there but compares to accomodations in the big city.
We had dinner in the grill the first night and although the service was slow, the food was excellent. We were anticipating a wonderful dinner in the dining room for our second night, after all CAA gives them all the stars. The service was quite good but the food not so good. My salmon was almost raw at $38 I would expect someone to have cooked it through. My husband is vegetarian and was offered only one option. His dish looked great but the vegetables were bathing in butter and were almost raw. The salad was pretty good and the dessert okay, but overpriced.
I believe all the rooms are non-smoking but people are smoking outside the lodge which for us is a bit of a turn-off.
Overall we were pleased with out time there but next time will stay away from the dining room and eat somewhere in town.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!